Gameday Tigers

Recruiting Currents

Fishhead

LSU is likely to have the #1 class in a couple days, pending signing day of course.  

I expect Zach Evans, #1 RB in the 2020 class, to choose the Tigers Wednesday when he announces his choice.  This is spurning UGA, InbredGumps, and his in state SEC option, TAMU.  Evans is a Northshore product out of SE TX.  6A school and his film looks like a man against boys.  

Certain commits are "opening up their recruitment".  LSU is actually down to 23 commits currently, down from 25 recently.  Lorando Johnson is the latest to open up his recruitment.  I'd expect a couple more to "open up their recruitment" within the next couple of weeks, with early signing period about 2.5 weeks away.  

LSU is in on at least 4 more elite level prospects, including Evans.  IMO this will be the strongest class LSU has ever landed, at least according to the recruiting rankings.  We all know there's a diamond in the rough here and there like Jacob Hester, or more recently, Justin Jefferson.  And the inverse, there's a Chris Davenport or Freak Johnson out there too.  Those make cool stories, but the FACT is, a 5* is FAR more likely to be an elite contributor than a 2 or 3 star.  That's proven. 

Still, you never know what you have until they're in the system a couple years at least.  That said, the future appears to be VERY bright, and with the early signing period, we'll know sooner than later who's in and who's out. 

I'll do a podcast around the early signing period to touch on recruiting and see who's left on the board by that time.  I doubt it'll be many, because I suspect we'll sign over 20 in the early period.  I LOVE that!

• Like 3

Also, Steve Wiltfong, the head honcho with regards to 247 Sports gurus, dropped his Crystal Ball prediction for LSU in the recruitment of Caleb Williams.  

Williams is the #1 QB in the 2021 class and spent 4 days at LSU this past week, culminating Sunday following the demolition of TAMU, the incredible scene with Burrow and the crowd response, the emotional Tiger Walk with the seniors including Burrow and guys like Rashard Lawrence and Breiden Fehoko (final Haka!!).  His family was with him.  

OBVIOUSLY, this is a long process and Caleb hasn't even made a commitment yet.  But for a guy like Wiltfong, who's rarely wrong, to drop this Crystal Ball for a #1 QUARTERBACK to LSU is huge and speaks volumes to where this program is going. 

Here's his HUDL film.  He's the one dominating on the field. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6269274/5de28e93f569ca1110370b3d