Gameday Tigers

Joe Burrow Post-Season Awards

Hatchertiger

Joe Burrow shares hilarious recruiting story involving Ed Orgeron's love of crawfish

Adam Spencer | 1 hour ago

LSU coach Ed Orgeron recruits at a national level, so he’s sometimes in areas that don’t share his affinity for Cajun-style food.

That was the case during his recruitment of star QB Joe Burrow, who transferred to LSU two years ago from Ohio State.

00:06

This week, Burrow shared a great story about a restaurant not having crawfish, prompting Coach O to have the manager go get 15 pounds of crawfish to cook for the group:

Joe Burrow said that during his recruitment, he went out to dinner with Ed Orgeron. When they got to the restaurant, Orgeron found out they didn’t serve crawfish. So Orgeron had the restaurant manager go out and get 15 lbs of crawfish and cook it for them anyway. That’s peak O.

If that story isn’t peak Coach O, I don’t know what is. The man knows what he wants and isn’t afraid to go get it.

That’s true when it comes to crawfish, and it’s also true when it comes to quarterbacks like Burrow.

Joes greatest award, one that comes from the heart...

Dear Joe Burreaux :: An Open Letter From a Mother of a Little Athlete

By
 Jennifer u
 - 
December 12, 2019

FM-WebAds-MomsBlog-191119-728x90.jpg

Dear Joe,

I KNOW this letter will find you well: SEC Champion and MVP, SEC Player of the Year, 2019 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award recipient, Sports Illustrated Cover, Heisman Trophy Finalist, and MOST importantly, futureCollege Football Champion for the LSU Tigers! Oh! How you must be dreaming in purple and gold! So much excitement and intensity these last few months has me in an LSU frenzy of emotions, but it seems to have you as grounded and focused as ever. How do you do it?! Your focus, your dedication, your humility, your talent?! You’ve got it all, and what’s even better, is you’ve brought it all to Louisiana. This football season you have proven yourself to not only be LSU’s answered prayers but to be the perfect role model for my son.

I am the mother of a little athlete – a very young athlete at that. I am also an LSU fan – a 4th generation Tiger at that. So, Saturdays in our household are loud, they’re exciting, and they revolve around you and your winning teammates. My son has hopes of playing ball one day, just like you. My son, the 5 yr old starry-eyed athlete, watches your play calls and your moves and tries his best to emulate them in the living room – those breakables don’t hold a candle to championship wins, so it’s fine. What was once a scary, non-negotiable thought of my son playing football has now turned into a more open-minded idea I’m willing to entertain because of young men like you.

LCMC-300x250WaitAnywhere-01.jpg

You are the quintessence of a well-rounded, All-American athlete. Remarkable skills aside, you are exactly the kind of player I would hope my son can aspire to be, and here’s why:

take-two.jpg

You faced adversity, so you changed your stars.

Sitting the bench for three whole seasons at Ohio State did not keep you down. Playing second-fiddle, err, third-fiddle, did not discourage you. You accepted your role as such, so you made things happen for yourself. I applaud you for not sitting on that bench and waiting for someone to drop an opportunity in your lap. You went out and grabbed your destiny – just about 1,000 miles South! Thank you for showing my son that dreams only happen unless you make them happen.

You embraced change as crazy and as coon-ass as that change might have been!

I know we do things a little differently down South – and we like to eat strange things too — but you didn’t judge, you didn’t scowl, you didn’t isolate yourself. You accepted your new home for who we are and you ran with it. Watching you jog out onto the field one last time in Tiger Stadium for Senior Night, dedicating your jersey to the culture that is Louisiana {Burr-EAUX}, gave me goosebumps on my arms and tears in my eyes. Thank you for demonstrating for my little boy how accepting differences can truly make your moment and help create your path of success.

You are goal-oriented.

Watching your post-game interviews and reading your thoughts on what is your most recent victory always has one thing in common: the end-goal is a national title. You don’t bask in the glory that is a InbredGumps Beatdown or an A&M avenge (thanks for both of those, by the way). No, you are already looking ahead to next week’s stepping stone to that College Football Playoff National Championship. You’re bold and you’re unwavering. I, along with the rest of LSU nation, can see that your passion and your drive are portrayed as key ingredients to your success, and I thank you for inspiring my little one to “dream about winning national championships.”

Finally, your modesty of it all is just commendable.

You remember where you came from, and you don’t forget to thank those who have helped and guided you along the way. When handed the game ball just moments after winning the SEC Championship against Georgia, you, without hesitation, gave that game ball right back to Coach O. I appreciate you showing all of the young, aspiring athletes out there, especially my son, that it’s not all about you. Even when the entire country is chanting your name and praising you, and casting votes for YOU for Heisman, you still manage to shine the light on others who deserve praise as well. That is such an admirable trait that I hope you only foster in what will clearly be a long career for you.

Joe, you, sir, are a leader by example. You possess all of the traits any mother of an athlete could hope for for her son. You were raised right, and you are living, breathing — and running, passing, throwing, play-calling – proof that luck does not make an athlete; the person makes the athlete. The mindset, the ambition, the passion, and the respect is what makes a great athlete.

So, thank you, No. 9, for serving as my football-hopeful’s role model. Thank you for providing my little boy and my family with nothing short of a magical (and long-anticipated) LSU football season this year. Thank you for so many teachable moments caught on camera for little athletes everywhere to view and learn from. Basically, Joe, thank you for being you! Geaux Tigers!

Forever LSU,

A Future Football Mommy

P.S. – All I want for Christmas is a National Championship win for my Tigers!

• Like 3

Joe Burrow chosen as AP Player of the Year

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow is The Associated Press college football player of the year in a landslide vote.

Burrow, who has led the top-ranked Tigers to an unbeaten season and their first College Football Playoff appearance, received 50 of 53 first-place votes from AP Top 25 poll voters and a total of 156 points

Apparently it was a landslide vote. 

Edited by dachsie
  • Thanks 1

Well, looks like someone believes in Joe...

Menu 

usatsi_13763229.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Gary Danielson puts Joe Burrow's 2019 season among best in college football history

usatsi_13764199.jpg?w=414&h=248&crop=1
December 10, 2019
ADVERTISEMENT
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

LSU senior quarterback Joe Burrow has left his mark on the Tigers’ football program, and he’s still got games left to play.

Throughout the season, Burrow has shattered school and conference records at the helm of a high-power offense no team has been able to shut down to this point.

In 2019, he’s passed for 4,715 yards and 48 touchdowns with just six interceptions.

But where exactly does Burrow stand in the grand scheme of it all?

According to CBS analyst Gary Danielson, Burrow’s 2019 season is one of the best three he’s seen from a quarterback in college football history.

Danielson spoke to Burrow’s ability to extend plays and use his mobility.

“He’s not a Blake Sims, Tim Tebow scrambler where you’re nervous about where he’s going to go,” he said. “He’s a maneuvering in the pocket, ‘Oh no, I can do more and burn you.’ There’s not very many people that I’ve covered that plays this type of ball. I don’t think he has the strongest arm I’ve ever seen. … He just seems to know how to play football.”

Gary Danielson has seen a lot of college quarterbacks in his career, and he puts @LSUfootball's Joe Burrow's 2019 season next to some elite company at the top #GeauxTigers

Embedded video

Burrow and the Tigers will look to stay hot as they play the Oklahoma Sooners in the Peach Bowl for a chance to appear in the National Championship Game.

Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. CT in Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Dec. 28.

4 hours ago, dachsie said:

Joe Burrow chosen as AP Player of the Year

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow is The Associated Press college football player of the year in a landslide vote.

Burrow, who has led the top-ranked Tigers to an unbeaten season and their first College Football Playoff appearance, received 50 of 53 first-place votes from AP Top 25 poll voters and a total of 156 points

Apparently it was a landslide vote. 

Ok so if the AP voted almost unianimously for him, aren't those some of the same voters that vote for the Heisman?

15 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Just landed the Davey O’Brien award too. 

(awards show on ESPN right now)

LSU's Joe Burrow Recognized as Top Quarterback in the Country, Wins Davey O'Brien Award. 

When this week is all said and done, LSU quarterback Joe Burrow may need a second plane to fly home all of his hardware. On Thursday night as part of ESPN's College Football Award show, Burrow won the Davey O'Brien award, given to the top quarterback in the country.

It's the first time an LSU quarterback has won the Davey O'Brien award.

Burrow has been the driving force for one of the most prolific offenses we've ever seen in college football. The senior so far this season, has thrown for 4,715 yards and 48 touchdown, which both shattered SEC records while also completing 77.9% of his passes, which is on pace to break the NCAA record.

"It's super special, I have a lot of great people around me, great coaching staff so that's what allows me to be so successful," Burrow said. "I wouldn't change my journey for anything in the world. I'm grateful for it, I think it's made me a better person and a better player."

The senior quarterback beat out Oklahoma's Jalen Hurts and Ohio State's Justin Fields for the Davey O'Brien Award, both of whom are finalists for the Heisman trophy on Saturday alongside Burrow.

Despite winning his second award of the hour, Burrow kept it cool, saying how prepared he is to get back to work and win a national championship.

"I'm so ready, all of the awards are nice but I'm a game planning kind of guys so I'm ready to get back to it," Burrow said. 

New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees says he appreciates Joe Burrow's story, likes the fellow No. 9

Keith Farner | 4 hours ago

There’s one quarterback in Louisiana who has drawn loads of headlines this football season, and his name’s not Drew Brees. LSU QB Joe Burrow has stolen the show as the Tigers have largely had a stronger season than the New Orleans Saints.

Brees, who has his own Midwestern roots after playing at Purdue, has noticed Burrow’s season and appreciates it. Brees is familiar that Burrow transferred from Ohio State to win the job and become a Heisman Trophy frontrunner.

“I like he wears No. 9,” Brees said with a laugh, according to the Saints’ Twitter account. “… He’s going to be the Heisman winner, he’s led his team to the (College Football) Playoff game and hopefully the national championship. You want to root for guys like that, that have to travel that tough road, face some adversity and overcome it, and come out better on the other side.”

Brees said he’s watched LSU this season, and Brees noted passing game coordinator Joe Brady was formerly on the Saints’ staff.

“He’s been fun to watch, it’s fun to watch him operate in that offense,” Brees said. “Obviously there’s some carryover from Joe Brady being here and going there. You see certainly things at times, and say, wait a minute, that looks familiar. He’s executing it to perfection. He’s making the most out of every play, out of every situation. He’s highly efficient … They seem like they’re playing for each other. I hope they go all the way.”

🐯@LSUFootball's Joe Burrow said he grew up idolizing Drew Brees

Brees was asked about Burrow today:

"I like that he wears No. 9"

"I appreciate his story"

"He's executing (LSU's offense) to perfection"#Saints

Embedded video

#AWARDSZN Open Thread

By PodKATT  Dec 12, 2019, 2:32pm CST

D_jga6ZXUAAGhzr.0.jpg

After all the hard work and breakneck schedule of the college football season, it has all suddenly stopped. LSU is in the middle of Finals and there’s not a whole lot going on except LSU’s travels on the chicken dinner circuit.

So far, LSU has already racked up some serious hardware:

• Coach O was announced yesterday as the winner of the Home Depot Coach of the Year. There are half a dozen nationally recognized coach of the year awards, and this one is maybe the least prestigious, as it’s voted on only by ESPN staffers. Coach O is also a finalist for the Robinson, Munger, and Bryant CotY awards.
  • Passing Game Coordinator Joe Brady won the Broyles Award earlier this week, presented to the top assistant coach in college football. He is the first non-OC/DC to win the award ever.
  • Joe Burrow was in Indianapolis Baltimore earlier this week to accept the Johnny Unitas “Golden Arm” award as the top “senior or 4th year” QB in the country. it was an opportunity for some big photo ops

(Award is actually given out before the show, announced at 5pm on SportsCenter tonight.)

Joe Burrow (LSU, senior) - WINNER

Justin Fields (Ohio State, sophomore)

Chuba Hubbard (Oklahoma State, sophomore)

Jonathan Taylor (Wisconsin, junior)

Chase Young (Ohio State, junior)

Grant Delpit, LSU (Jr.) - WINNER

Jeff Okudah, Ohio State (Jr.)

J.R. Reed, Georgia (Sr.)

Joe Burrow, LSU (Sr.) - WINNER

Justin Fields, Ohio State (Jr.)

Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma (Sr.)

Joe Burrow, LSU (Sr.) - WINNER

Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma (Sr.)

Chase Young, Ohio State (Jr.)

Ja’Marr Chase, LSU (So.) - WINNER

CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma (Jr.)

Michael Pittman Jr., USC (Sr.)

And then of course, there is the Heisman on Saturday, where we’ll spend another full hour waiting as ESPN attempts to paint this year’s other candidates as anywhere near worthy of Joe Burrow’s new mantelpiece. Consider this an open thread for commiseration as we watch and wait.

Ohio State congratulates Joe Burrow after winning Heisman Trophy

Michael Wayne Bratton | 5 hours ago

Joe Burrow may no longer be a Buckeye but Ohio State has not forgotten where the latest Heisman Trophy winner got his start in college football.

If you didn’t know, the Athens, Ohio native signed with Ohio State out of high school but transferred to LSU as a graduate following the 2017 football season.

00:09
04:39

00:00

Despite the fact Burrow beat out Ohio State players Justin Fields and Chase Young, the Buckeyes still wanted to show some love for the LSU signal-caller on Saturday night after he won the biggest individual award in college football.

Not only did Burrow win the 2019 Heisman Trophy, his margin of victory set a new record as he received 90.7 percent of the first-place votes and had a total of 2,608 points in the Heisman poll. Both of those numbers represent all-time records.

LSU now has two Heisman Trophy winners as Burrow joins 1959 winner Billy Cannon as the only other player in LSU history to win the award.

Joe Burrow adds 'Herbie Award' to postseason haul

SDS Staff | 1 hour ago

The past few days, it feels like Joe Burrow has won every imaginable award for quarterbacks/offensive players. Burrow won multiple awards for top quarterback (Golden Arm Award, Davey O’Brien Award) as well as being recognized by the SEC and numerous organizations (Associated Press, Walter Camp Football Foundation) as the top player in college football for the 2019 season. On Saturday, Burrow took home the ultimate CFB individual award, the Heisman Trophy. It turns out he wasn’t done winning awards.

On Sunday, ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit handed out his annual “Herbie Awards.” Herbstreit tabbed Burrow as his Offensive Player of the Year.

00:01

The awards keep racking up for these two. Joe Burrow and Chase Young are @KirkHerbstreit's offensive and defensive players of the year 🏆

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Herbstreit also shared this weekend that he was impressed by Burrow thanking his offensive linemen after winning the Heisman Trophy:

OUTSTANDING speech by Joe Burrow at the @HeismanTrophy LOVED how he thanked his OL 1st.
Also how he opened up his heart and expressed gratitude towards family, coaches, and teammates along the way. Both at @LSUfootball and @OhioStateFB Congrats Joe!!
VERY WELL deserved!!

While “The Herbie” isn’t saving the best for last by any means (sorry, Kirk), it might be the end of the award parade for Burrow before and the Tigers go into Peach Bowl mode starting Monday.

Heisman Trophy winner Joe Burrow visits teen football player at NY children’s hospital

Heisman Trophy winner Joe Burrow visits teen football player at NY children’s hospital

Heisman Trophy winner, LSU quarterback Joe Burrow, visits with Ryan Davis at Mount Sinai Kravis Children's Hospital in New York City on Dec. 15, 2019. (Source: Mount Sinai Kravis Children's Hospital)
By Josh Auzenne | December 15, 2019 at 3:16 PM CST - Updated December 15 at 5:25 PM 

NEW YORK (WAFB) - Several hours after hoisting the Heisman Trophy as the most outstanding college football player, LSU quarterback Joe Burrow was spreading joy and inspiration to a young gridiron warrior.

Burrow visited Mount Sinai Kravis Children’s Hospital in New York on Sunday and met with Ryan Davis, 13, of New York City. Davis plays football for the Harlem Jets of NYC.

Burrow signed a football for Davis and the two spent some time together chatting.

Every year, the hospital invites the Heisman Trophy winner to visit and cheer up some of the patients.

Burrow is the first LSU player to win the Heisman in 60 years and he took home the honor in a landslide. He finished with 2,608 total points. He won by 1,846 points, which is the largest margin in Heisman Trophy history. He finished with 93.8 percent of the possible points, which is the highest in Heisman history.

Burrow received 90.7 percent of first-place votes, the highest percentage of first-place votes in Heisman history. His name was on 95.5 percent of ballots, also the most in the history of the Heisman.

• Like 1