Gameday Tigers

LSU Fans Gives Back

LSUDad

I know folks have been giving back to Joes Hometown, but this one is way too cool...

Bet-winning LSU fan donates $3K to finish young Tiger fan's fundraiser for wheelchair van

BR.lsuutahstatemain2291.100619 bf.jpg

LSU coach Ed Orgeron, left, chats with Colton Moore, 9, asking if he wants to go into the locker room after LSU's 42-6 win over Utah State in Tiger Stadium on Saturday Oct. 5, 2019. LSU long snapper Blake Ferguson (48), right, watches alongside Orgeron's wife Kelly (background).

STAFF FILE PHOTO BY BILL FEIG

Joe Burrow’s mention of the poverty level in his native Athens, Ohio, during his Heisman Trophy acceptance speech Saturday night inspired nearly $200,000 in donations to the Athens County Food Pantry as of Monday afternoon.

But Burrow’s words have inspired other acts of giving, particularly from one Tiger fan who earned a big windfall from the LSU quarterback’s achievement.

The $50 bet Matt Porter, a Fort Lauderdale commercial loan officer, made on Burrow at 200-to-1 earlier this summer has been well documented. Burrow’s Heisman earned Porter $10,000.

But Porter is only keeping some of that money. There are taxes to be paid, of course. And Porter promised his father Gary, pastor of the Encounter Church in Pensacola, Florida, a 10 percent tithe.

Porter has earmarked a sizable chunk of his winnings, $3,228 to be precise, for a Go Fund Me account. Not just any account, but one established to help the family of Colton Moore, a 9-year old LSU fan suffering from spina bifida, put a $15,000 down payment on a wheelchair accessible van.

Moore, who lives in Odenville, Alabama, about 30 miles east of Birmingham, made a big splash when he attended the LSU-Utah State game as coach Ed Orgeron’s guest back in October.

The memory of that little boy made a lasting impression on Porter and his girlfriend, Carisa Brandriet. After Burrow’s speech, they were looking for a way to put Matt’s winnings to good use.

“We went online and found his name,” Porter said. “Then we googled ‘Colton Moore Go Fund Me’ and it was short by a dollar amount I could make comfortably (as a donation).

“I said to her, ‘What do you think about that?’ We slept on it and decided that’s what we would do.

“Something very fortunate happened to us. I was a little surprised he hadn’t reached his goal yet since he got a lot of coverage. But it was the perfect amount for us.”

As of Monday afternoon, Colton’s fund had reached $15,116. Click here to visit his Go Fund Me page.

image.png

• Like 1

Man who bet on Burrow to win Heisman gives back to LSU superfan 

Man who bet on Burrow to win Heisman gives back to LSU superfan

LSU superfan Colton Moore at an LSU game back in October. (Source: Josh Auzene) 
By Amanda Lindsley | December 16, 2019 at 10:44 AM CST - Updated December 16 at 3:38 PM 

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - LSU fan Matt Porter won big Saturday night when Joe Burrow won the Heisman trophy. Now Porter will be donating some of his winnings to a worthy cause.

Porter won $10,000 from a bet placed in June that Joe Burrow would win the Heisman Trophy. Instead of splurging on vacation, some of his winnings will be going to Alabama.

According to Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger, Porter plans to donate more than $3,000 of his post-taxed winnings to a GoFundMe account connected to Colton Moore, a 9-year-old LSU superfan living in Odenville, Alabama who has spina bifida. The donation from Porter will exceed the GoFundMe account’s goal of $15,000 by $1, and will be used as a down payment for a handicap accessible van.

Remember the #LSU fan who bet $50 on Joe Burrow to win the #Heisman at 200/1?

Matt Porter will donate $3,200 of his winnings to Colton Moore, an Alabama boy stricken with spina bifida.

“Any kid who lives in Alabama and loves LSU deserves our love back.”http://bit.ly/2YT6If8 

• Like 2

Now, the Hometown gives back...

Joe Burrow's hometown planning special day to honor him

Adam Spencer | 1 hour ago

During his Heisman acceptance speech on Saturday night, LSU QB Joe Burrow brought attention to the plight of many families in his hometown of Athens, Ohio.

Since that moment, donations have been pouring in for the Athens food pantry, totaling over $200K so far.

00:11

Now, the Athens mayor has announced that the city will have a “Joe Burrow Day” to honor the Heisman-winning quarterback and his contributions to the team:

That’s quite an honor for Burrow, who has made such an incredible impact for people in need in the area he grew up.

Using the Heisman speech to do good is something Burrow clearly thought a lot about, and the contributions, especially from those in Louisiana, are going to go to a great cause.