Gameday Tigers

Know your Opponent: Clemson Tigers

Nutriaitch

so pretty much like most thought. 

we dominate the offensive stats
they dominate the defensive. 

but one area i think we are definitely better.....Kickers

their kicker is only hitting on 60% of his FG attempts. 

York is at 80%. 

so in a close game where kicks matter, advantage us. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

I'll say this

Clemson is not a whole lot different than LSU, really. 

Other than SOS

Which makes them hard to gauge. So I'll go ahead and err on the side of caution and assume we're gonna be in a dogfight. 

yep.

really all we know is what we saw vs Ohio State.

they did play A&M back when the little Faggies still had something worth playing for. 
Plus Clemson didn't owe A&M on a personal level like we did, so I don't really judge their game because it was so close.

we saw in the Ohio State game that Sunshine Ronnie Bass can run when asked to. 

I know he doesn’t run like that every game.  But i was curious how effective of a runner he was. 

and was shocked to find out he’s got more yards rushing on fewer attempts than Burrow does.  So i dig deeper. 

He has more than twice as many (5) runs of 20+ yards as Joe does (2). Which explains at least some of the yardage difference.

But how EFFECTIVE of a runner is he compared to Burrow? In other words how successful of a runner is he?

On 93 rushing attempts, Trevor has gained a 1st down 29 times (31.2%). 
As comparison, Joe Burrow leads all of FBS in that category @ 34.7% (35 in 101 attempts).

ok, but what about Lawrence as a thrower?

Well he’s a big kid with a ton of arm talent. I mean dude can make every throw. 

But he doesn’t come close to touching Joe’s season stats. 
In fact, Burrow has more yards (3,463) and more TDs (38) just in the first half of games than Lawrence does for the entire season (3,431 & 36). 

so again I went to the 1st downs. Gotta see how often they move the chains. 

on 370 pass attempts, he has thrown for a 1st down 144 times (38.9%). 
And Burrow for comparison 211 / 478 (44.1%). 

14 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Now y'all are scaring me.

I’m just throwing out numbers.

14 minutes ago, dachsie said:

But here is my question.  Clemson racked all these numbers against the ACC.  We did against SEC.  Will that make the difference?

They’ve only faced 2 top 40 defenses all year (we’ve faced 6). 

But one of those was tOSU who is absolutely legit on D.  And they moved the ball.  mostly in the 2nd half. 

11 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Like nootch said, they haven't faced much until tOSU, and then they only scored 29.

They ain't holding us to 28.

this!

but at the same time, don’t kid yourselves, they are good. 

9 hours ago, LSUDad said:

I like the Tigers big in this one, real big. Clemson does have talent, but we are running like a well oiled machine. 

i don’t know about big, but i like our chances. 

I think i know how i would defend them now too (but y’all have to wait until podcast to find out :classic_ninja:). 

• Like 3

I think we'll win, I put our chances about 70 - 80% we win.  Clemson has a chance to upset us because they have the QB that can throw it, Etienne at RB can run and catch it (I think he's a slightly faster CEH), and they have two outstanding receivers in Ross and Higgins.  Like LSU, since they can run and throw effectively, they make you defend the whole field, and that is hard to do.  I think the game will come down to our Stingley and Fulton against their Ross and Higgins.  Conversely, the question is how do they defend our three headed monster of Jefferson, Chase and Marshall?  I think if our DB's can control their wide outs, we win.  If not, its a 50-50 shot to win a shootout.  Clemson has recruited very well the last 5 years, there will be a LOT of NFL talent on the field, and I think it will be a excellent game to watch!!!  I'm excited.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

I like us by double digits. I’ve hit on a few, and lost on a few. We play our game, we win big. 

Im not discounting Clemson, they have a great team and players. But we are playing at another level, not even close. 

I hope you're right!!!  Geaux Tigers!

One of the things that stands out is the weakness of Clemson's schedule.  The iron does not become steel without passing through the fire.  LSU has been through the fire playing several top 10 teams.  This group seems to know how to focus and take care of their business.  I like that about this team.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 12:18 AM, LSUDad said:

I like the Tigers big in this one, real big. Clemson does have talent, but we are running like a well oiled machine. 

On 1/4/2020 at 12:03 PM, LSUDad said:

I like us by double digits. I’ve hit on a few, and lost on a few. We play our game, we win big. 

Im not discounting Clemson, they have a great team and players. But we are playing at another level, not even close. 

My pick for the game done days before, Tigers 48-29. I’d say we won big. 
I wanted that last TD, we took our foot off the gas. We could have broke 50 last night. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

My pick for the game done days before, Tigers 48-29. I’d say we won big. 
I wanted that last TD, we took our foot off the gas. We could have broke 50 last night.

I thought we'd win, thought it might be a little closer, like 42-35 was what I was thinking.  Lawrence did not have near as good a game as he did last year against InbredGumps, and that had nothing to do with them losing 3 first round picks off their defensive front 4 from last season.

I agree, we took our foot off the gas with about 7 minutes in the game, did the right thing and started handing off to Clyde.  At that point the biggest enemy we had was the clock, they needed time if they could come back, and taking it away was how to win the game.  But actually, we could have score at least one more TD, maybe two, but at some added risk to our cause.  We took the safe way out, and the smart way.  Run the clock and go claim your trophy!

• Like 2