Gameday Tigers

January 5th, 1988, Gone Way Too Soon, The Pistol

LSUDad

On this day, January 5, 1988 Pistol Pete Maravich passed away. He was at a church in Pasadena, California where he was playing basketball. He was 40 years old.

"I'd seen Maravich play in New Orleans once. He was something to see. Mop of brown hair, floppy socks, the holy terror of the basketball world. High flying, magician of the court. Scored something like 38 points. He could've played blind. Pistol Pete hadn't played professionally for a while and he was thought of as forgotten. I hadn't forgotten about him though."

Bob Dylan (the morning he heard the news that Pete Maravich passed away), taken from the first volume of his autobiography, Chronicles.

Peter Press "Pistol Pete" Maravich June 22, 1947 - January 5, 1988

• Like 1

He died as a result of a congenital defect in his heart. As much as he pushed himself athletically, its unbelievable that condition went undetected his whole life.  I know the rule but its a shame there is no statue of him on campus.  Averaged 44 points a game in college, could have been 50 if there were a 3 point line. RIP Pistol Pete.

21 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

He died as a result of a congenital defect in his heart. As much as he pushed himself athletically, its unbelievable that condition went undetected his whole life.  I know the rule but its a shame there is no statue of him on campus.  Averaged 44 points a game in college, could have been 50 if there were a 3 point line. RIP Pistol Pete.

There is a pretty big building on campus with his name.  

• 2 months later...