Gameday Tigers

LSU Football 2019 National Champs Celebrations

watson

'This one's for you, baby!' Carley McCord's husband dedicates LSU win to beloved sports reporter

• STAFF REPORT
  • PUBLISHED JAN 14, 2020 AT 6:52 AM | UPDATED JAN 14, 2020 AT 7:58 AM

As purple and gold confetti rained from the Mercedes-Benz Superdome late Monday night, Steven Ensminger Jr. took the opportunity to tell his late wife he loved her.

"This one's for you, baby! I love you!"

LSU ended the season with a stunning 42-25 win over Clemson in the National Championship Game Monday night in New Orleans.

Carley McCord, a beloved sports reporter and daughter-in-law of LSU offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger, was one of five people killed in a small plane crash en route to the Peach Bowl in Atlanta last month.

Amid the celebration, hugging, and tears, Ensminger Jr. made sure to dedicate the historic win to his late wife — who shared the same passion for sports as her husband and father-in-law.

Can't see the post? Click here.

ESPN aired a special honoring McCord before kickoff Monday night. 

A seat in the press box was also saved in her memory.

image.png

🐯 Joe Burrow: 5,671 pass yds
🐯 Clyde Edwards-Helaire: 1,414 rush yds
🐯 Ja'Marr Chase: 1,780 rec yds
🐯 Justin Jefferson: 1,540 rec yds

LSU Football is the only team in FBS history to have a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and two 1,500-yard receivers in the same season.

Well, I am sure we all ENJOYED that!!!

I recorded a bunch of stuff and watched it this morning.  It was fun to see Marcus Spears and Ryan Clark torment Steven A. on ESPN.

But, an interesting comment from Marcus.  They asked him if this LSU team was the greatest of all time.  He said, they are in the discussion, but probably not because the defense was not elite.  He said it was the best offense he's ever seen in college.

He said their SEASON is the best season of all time.  Beating 7 top ten teams, and beating all four of the top 4 teams in the nation at the start of the season, Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, and Oklahoma, including beating three of them in the last 3 consecutive games they played, in convincing fashion, that's never been done.

My favorite interview after the game was JaMarr Chase on the SEC Network.  He was standing by Tebow and they were having fun.  Tebow said "what did you think when you saw Clemson go two-high safeties and you knew you were one on one with AJ Terrell?"  Chase smiled big and said "Man, I was licking my chops!!!", and everyone at the table was laughing, because JaMarr is so straightforward and honest.

I was a little disaappointed that Burrow's completion percentage dropped to only 63% for the championship game, and was also disappointed in the number of drops, JaMarr dropped a sure TD pass.  JaMarr said he should have just gone up with two hands and got it.  (By the way, I'm just kidding......)

I still say, who you put your stats up against makes a difference, and Clemson's soft schedule made them statistically look better than their defense was.

I said before the game it would come down to how our corners handled Ross and Higgins, and Stingley and Fulton handled them.  Lawrence threw a lot of balls high, and I think the coverage was so tight that he tried to throw high and see in his tall receivers could go up and win a jump ball with our shorter corners.  But the coverage was so tight, he often (13 times) threw the ball so high nobody could catch it.

I don't remember sacking Lawrence, but the pressure from the front 7 on defense was enough to hurry him and keep him rattled.  K'Lavon played a heck of a game, as well as the down linemen.

Geaux Tigers!