Gameday Tigers

2019 National Chapionship Team 15-0

Hatchertiger

Obviously this was a special team. May never see another with the same "juice".  However, as I've been reading about what others are writing about the team and the season, I find that when I look at the season from more of a bird's eye view in comparison to other LSU teams and what other schools have accomplished, it really begins to resonate how good this team was.

For example:

And that is with Terrace Marshall being hurt for part of the season!!!!

The defense has sort of been the red-headed step child of the team this season. How could they not be when compared to the prolific offense we had?  But consider the following:

Unreal!

Look at the final Coach's poll.  We beat #s 2,4,6,7,8 and 14 and two other teams (Texas and TAMU) that received votes for the Top 25.

When you step back and consider it all, it's almost surreal.  You can certainly make the case that we just witnessed the perfect season :LSU:

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 5

A rising tide lifts all ships!

Amid national championship hype, LSU sees spike in applications

It’s only been days since LSU defeated Clemson in the College Football Playoff National Championship, but the university has already seen a 5.1% rise in enrollment applications within the past week.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/amid-national-championship-hype-lsu-sees-spike-in-applications

Great read about the season:

Did we seriously just go from Cam Cameron and Danny Etling to Ensminger/Brady and Joe Burrow??

LSU's highly doubted, often criticized squad of proto-NFL-footballers out-scored all-comers to a Division I record 726 points to 328 (Take it Jimbo, just take it!), while being led by a stable of singular, ambitious coaches (all with Hollywood backstories too fairytale they'd even make Jerry Bruckheimer sick).
            Together, Coach Ed Orgeron stirred these ingredients into a feisty, Grade A gumbo and drew us all in, keeping celebrity bandwagon "fans" like Vince Vaughn, Donald Trump and Matthew McConaughey entertained to no end; meanwhile, for the fans who were here before 2019 and will remain long after: we were in heaven. 

https://uninterruptedsportsodyssey.blogspot.com/2020/01/lsus-top-10-moments-of-201920-i.html?m=1

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hatchertiger said:

Did we seriously just go from Cam Cameron and Danny Etling to Ensminger/Brady and Joe Burrow??

no. 

we went from Cam/Etling to Canada/Etling to Ensminger/Burrow to Ensminger/Brady/Burrow. 

don’t know why everyone seems insistent upon ignoring that part of this. (not calling you out Hatch, just fans in general).  I just find it fascinating how many people (fans and media) act like late 2016, 2017 & 2018 never even happened and we just skipped from Auburn game 2016 to right now.

I mean what i listed above was part of the journey to get here. And the journey is what makes the destination so enjoyable.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

(not calling you out Hatch, just fans in general). 

LOL I didn't write the article and yes it's been a process. Friend and I were talking about how mad we were for the Wisconsin game in 2016 when we realized Miles had not lived up to his promise to open up the offense. I was ready to fire him right there.  We also talked about how had he done so, even just a little, how he might STILL be our coach. With a more wide open offense that year we finish no worse than 10-2 and we arguably run the table. Our four losses were by the sum total of 23 points. The only team to beat us by double digits was InbredGumps, 0-10. But Miles was too stubborn and got himself fired.  And now we are NATIONAL CHAMPS!  Funny how things turn out.

EDIT: Meet me in the back of the gym after school today :lmao:

Edited by Hatchertiger

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

But Miles was too stubborn and got himself fired. 

On the morning after the championship game, that is what all the analysts on ESPN and SECN were saying.  Miles was too stubborn.  I must have heard 5 guys say it outright, and some more tiptoed around it.  Tebow was one of them, he said "I loved coach Miles, but he was stubborn".

Edited by houtiger

Everybody talks about how good our offense was, and it was THAT GOOD.  But without being DBU, we probably don't win the championship.  Think about how good Stingley and Fulton are at cornerback; Fulton is projected as first round this year, and Clemson seldom challenged Stingley at all preferring to throw at Fulton.  For good measure throw in Delpit at safety, another first round pick, and pair him up with Jacoby Stevens.  Add in Kary Vincent who will play on Sundays.  We played teams with outstanding receiver corps, InbredGumps, Clemson, Ga., and while we didn't shut them down, we controlled them better than they controlled our wide receivers.  The quality of our secondary allowed us to do that.  We've got the top corner in the 2020 class coming in, Elias Ricks, but it is beyond hope that he can come in day one and be like Stingley, because we've never seen anyone come in and day one be as good as Stingley, and we've seen some really good ones.

• Like 3