Gameday Tigers

2019 National Chapionship Team 15-0

Hatchertiger

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go:

National Championship or bust for Oklahoma Sooners in 2020

ByNICK KOSKO 

Oklahoma is close every single season but seemingly can’t get over the hump. Head coach Lincoln Riley guided the Sooners to the College Football Playoff each of the last three seasons but Oklahoma fell in the semi-finals, failing to make the title game.

This, despite having two Heisman trophy winning quarterbacks (that both turned into No. 1 overall pick) in Baker Mayfieldand Kyler Murray and a Heisman contender in Jalen Hurts. The Sooners will likely feature Spencer Rattler as their next quarterback but won’t be just a one hit wonder as he enters his redshirt freshman year. If Rattler is as good as advertised, he most certainly will be in the Heisman conversation and Oklahoma will be a favorite in the Big 12 and a contender for the playoff for the fourth consecutive year.

However, Riley knows the expectations: win the Big 12 and get to the National Championship.

“The Sooners have won five straight conference titles, and nothing short of six in a row should be acceptable,” CBS Sports’ Barrett Sallee wrote. “But it doesn't stop there. In order for this season to be a success, Oklahoma has to at least make the College Football Playoff National Championship. Yes, the title game -- not the semifinal. That quest begins and ends with Rattler. If Riley's magic quarterback dust works again, the Sooners can absolutely get over the hump. If not, they still should contend for the Big 12 championship but will likely play themselves out of the CFP with more than one inexplicable loss, which seems to be an annual thing.”

The Sooners are 36-6 under Riley in three years but every year ended the same, a heartbreaking loss, falling just short of the national title game. As Sallee points out, Rattler is key if Riley maintains his status as the best quarterback guru in college football.

Oklahoma fell to Georgia at the Rose Bowl in double overtime with Mayfield running the show and fell a bit short to Alabama the following year with Murray. Hurts played lights out all 2019 but Oklahoma ran into the buzzsaw that was LSU with Joe Burrow. Now, the field is open.

CBS Sports tabbed Oklahoma as their preseason No. 4 in the country.

Burrow is gone from LSU, Oklahoma is the favorite in the Big 12, Alabama lost Tua Tagovailoa and the SEC is going to be a dogfight, potentially a scenario of everyone beating each other up. The only team that could be the clear No. 1 is Clemson, who returns quarterback Trevor Lawrence for the final team. If it is indeed a Clemson-Oklahoma showdown for the title, that’ll be a small victory for Riley and the Sooners. 

Sure, a hypothetical loss to Clemson in the championship game would be very disappointing, but at the very least, Oklahoma needs to get to the next level after knocking on the door for three years.

Former Florida State quarterback and current sports commentator Danny Kanell offered his formula for Rattler to win the Heisman in 2020 when talking with CBS Sports HQ. Winning that award probably puts Oklahoma in the College Football Playoff based off how great quarterback play carried the previous three teams.

“It’s tough for me to like him because I watched ‘QB1’ where he was one of the three featured quarterbacks a few years ago,” Kanell said. “Man he has an ego on him. I like guys who go to work but you cannot deny the talent that’s there as a former five star recruit. He's been pushing for his playing time. I'm glad he stuck around. For once you'll see Oklahoma...it's been a couple of quarterbacks since you've seen a guy who was homegrown. Again, a non-transfer situation. The sky is the limit for him in potential. I just want to see him go out there and do his work and go about his business and not get into any controversy in something he says to the media or does off the field. If he does that, there's no question he can be at the center of the Heisman race.

“That's what happens when you're an Oklahoma Sooner quarterback. You're going to play in a prolific offense, you're going to put up an insane amount of stats that’ll put you in the conversation, and most likely you're going to be playing for a playoff spot. So as far as it pertains to the Heisman formula, how do you win that trophy, how do you get to New York? He fits the billing but it's up to him to go out there and do it now.”

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2019 LSU Football Replays on SEC Network

7/4 2 PM
LSU vs Utah State 2019

7/6 5 PM 
LSU vs Mississippi State 2019

7/7 8 PM
LSU vs Auburn 2019

7/9 8 PM
LSU vs Alabama 2019

7/10 5 PM
LSU vs Ole Piss 2019

7/11 2PM
LSU vs Arkansas 2019

7/13 8AM
LSU vs Georgia 2019 (SEC Championship Game)

7/13 11AM
LSU vs Clemson (National Championship Game)
 💜💛

• 2 weeks later...

This may be my favorite catch of the season.  Not quite as good as the Jarvis Landry TD against Arky a few years ago, but a FINE catch none the less!  Justin Jefferson got the season going, if we lose this game to Texas, the whole season is different.  Of course, Burrow shows his accuracy putting the ball in a small spot for Jefferson to catch.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

clyde-edwardshelaire-of-the-lsu-tigers-r

That was a vitally important play, with Clyde running through Trevon Diggs (#7) for the TD.  Great personal effort.  This is to win the battle against our rival, to win the SEC West, and set us up to play for the SEC championship and college football playoff.  Cannot underestimate the importance of that play.

• Like 1

Regarding our win against Alabama, I have said for years, we are not going to out-physical Alabama, we are gonna have to out-smart Alabama.  We could not out smart them with a one dimensional offense.  With the spread offense with RPOs, we have a chance to even up the game, make them defend the entire field.  I still say, if I had to pick one game I would not like to play a second time from last season, it would be Alabama.  LSU had the best receiver corp in the nation, but who had the second best?  Alabama with Jeudy, Smith, Ruggs and Waddle.  With Tua to throw to them, and Najee Harris to run the ball, I would rather play Clemson again than InbredGumps. 

But O finally did what was required for us to compete with InbredGumps, put our players with equal talent on the field with them, and show equally smart schemes to them on offense and defense.

I visited a InbredGumps forum and went to their topic on the natty game and most of them were pulling for Clemson, they hate LSU and know that a natty gives us a better recruiting pitch.  After the game, they said we would be like Auburn the year after Cam Newton and company won the natty in 2010; Auburn lost a lot of stars and they lost 5 games in 2011.  They said losing Burrow will be like losing Newton, and with all the other stars going to the NFL, LSU would not be able to reload.  They see us losing four or five games in 2020.  We'll see.  O has recruited well and I think we'll be competitive.  But the road to Atlanta will be through Tuscalousa, again.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

And another thing, ...................

We talked a little bit during the season about some good spin moves that Clyde Edwards-Helaire put on people, there is one in particular he did against Alabama that he score a TD on the play.  He has several others during the season, OUTSTANDING spin moves.  I've seen some spin moves, but CEH had some of the best I've ever seen.  If you take a season as a whole, I think Clyde had the best one season of spin move highlights I can recall.

Whachathink?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We were all fortunate to see last season.  Without a spring, without much summer recruiting, a late fall camp, we've been able to wallow in last season, watch and rewatch games.  Its been great.  It's about time to move on.  But if we lose a game this year, I'm gonna watch us beat Alabama again for good measure!!! 

• Like 1