Gameday Tigers

LSU Football Staff Changes

LSUDad

1 minute ago, Fishhead said:

Sure he helped. But Joseph just turned down Nebraska (his alma mater) for what would've been a promotion to stay at LSU as wide receivers coach. I think we should give him his due respect lol. 

I probably saw him referred to as coaching the WRs so thats why I thought he was,  Coach Joseph surely deserves his credit.  But are we going to replace Brady's position?

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

Sure he helped. But Joseph just turned down Nebraska (his alma mater) for what would've been a promotion to stay at LSU as wide receivers coach. I think we should give him his due respect lol. 

Nebraska hasn’t been real good since Bo left. For this move, he would have to look at everything , this time, including money. 

LSU hires former Saints and Tulane assistant Carter Sheridan as offensive analyst

LSU hires former Saints and Tulane assistant Carter Sheridan as offensive analyst

Carter Sheridan coached with the Saints for 11 seasons.
By Garland Gillen | February 3, 2020 at 5:27 PM CST - Updated February 3 at 8:53 PM 

NEW ORLEANS, La. (WVUE) - New Orleans native Carter Sheridan is headed up I-10 to join LSU’s football coaching staff as offensive analyst. Sheridan previously coached with the Saints and Tulane.

Sheridan spent 11 seasons with the New Orleans Saints. Sheridan primarily worked with receivers in his time with the Black and Gold. Sheridan was receivers coach with the Wave also.

Sheridan graduated from St. Augustine High School. He worked on the Purple Knight coaching staff this past season.

LSU reportedly hires former Saints and Tulane assistant to fill analyst role

cfpclemsonlsu.011420 HS 2219.JPG
LSU head coach Ed Orgeron speaks with game officials in the first half between LSU and Clemson in the National Championship, Monday, January 13, 2020, at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, La. STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

Published Feb 3, 2020 at 5:31 pm | Updated Feb 3, 2020 at 6:08 pm

LSU continues to fill out its staff of analysts by reportedly hiring former New Orleans Saints and Tulane assistant Carter Sheridan, according to a WVUE-TV report.

Sheridan was with the New Orleans Saints until 2015 when he left the Saints to rejoin then-Tulane coach Curtis Johnson. Sheridan and Johnson worked together from 2006-2011 when Johnson was New Orleans' wide receivers coach.

After a stint at Tulane, Sheridan spent a few years as an assistant coach at his alma mater, St. Augustine High.

Analysts are behind-the-scenes assistant coaches, who, by NCAA rules, cannot have direct coaching responsibilities with players, and are mostly used to break down film and help create game plans for the team.

[RELATEDWhat's an analyst? An inside look at one of the crucial staff positions in college football]

On Sunday, SEC analyst Cole Cubelic reported Samford offensive coordinator Russ Callaway and Youngstown State defensive coordinator Donald D'Alesio were added as analysts too. The newest members of LSU's coaching staff come after multiple former analysts left for other full-time coaching positions.

LSU lead defensive analyst Kevin Cosgrove is expected to join the Texas Tech., Red Raiders staff as linebackers coach.

LSU analyst Kevin Cosgrove to join Texas Tech as linebackers coach

• 1 min to read

LSU hires former Wisconsin, Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove as defensive analyst

New LSU defensive analyst Kevin Cosgrove.

Kevin Cosgrove

LSU lead defensive analyst Kevin Cosgrove will leave Baton Rouge after one season for a full-time coaching job as Texas Tech's linebackers coach, according to a report by Sports Illustrated.

Cosgrove, a longtime defensive coordinator in college football, joined the LSU staff in March 2019, having just spent the previous four seasons as the defensive coordinator at New Mexico.

He was part of a rise in analyst staff members, which bulked up the number of behind-the-scenes assistant coaches, who, by NCAA rules, cannot have direct coaching responsibilities with players and are mostly used to break down film and help create game plans for the team.

Cosgrove has been a defensive coordinator at five Division I FBS programs in his 39-year college coaching career, including a nine-year stint at Wisconsin from 1995 to 2003, when the Badgers won two Big Ten championships and two Rose Bowls under head coach Barry Alvarez.

Cosgrove was the defensive coordinator at Nebraska from 2004 to 2007, joining up with head coach Bill Callahan during a stretch where the Cornhuskers went 27-22 with a defense that twice ranked within the top 30 in the FBS in scoring defense.

Cosgrove is the most recent LSU analyst to leave campus for a full-time job after the Tigers' national championship season.

The analyst departures include former offensive analysts Jorge Munoz (Baylor), Blaine Gautier (McNeese State), plus defensive analysts Dennis Johnson (Baylor), Kenechi Udeze (Vanderbilt) and Ronnie Wheat (Nevada).

Former graduate assistant John Decoster also left LSU to be a full-time tight ends coach at Old Dominion.

LSU coach Ed Orgeron has since added four analysts to his coaching staff, including Samford offensive coordinator Russ Callaway, Youngstown State defensive coordinator Donald D'Alesio, former Tulane and Saints assistant Carter Sheridan and Cleveland Browns assistant Tyler Tettleton.

Bill Busch, safeties coach, I hope we keep him instead of lose him to his friend Dave Aranda.  I read that with Busch coaching the safeties, Corey Raymond was able to concentrate on the corners, and the corners played very well.  In addition, I kept seeing Bill Busch involved in recruiting some big names to LSU, not just safeties.  It appears to me Busch is a valuable staff member.

• Like 2

LSU defensive backs coach Corey Raymond agreed to a three-year extension with the school in mid-January.

The contract is worth a total of $1.8 million and will pay Raymond $575,000 in 2020, according to a term sheet obtained by The Advocate on Tuesday.

The boost is a 25% increase from Raymond's previous contract, a three-year deal paid him $460,000 in 2019 and was set to expire on March 31.

• Like 1

That was quick: LSU reportedly promotes from within to fill vacant RB coach spot

Adam Spencer | 1 hour ago

On Monday night, it was reported that LSU RB coach Tommie Robinson was leaving for the same position at Texas A&M.

Well, it didn’t take long for the Tigers to find a replacement, and they didn’t have to leave their own building to find him.

Per college football insider Bruce Feldman, LSU will make director of player development Kevin Faulk, a former New England Patriots and LSU star, the new RB coach:

SOURCE: #LSU is making Tigers & #Patriots great Kevin Faulk, who has been LSU’s director of player development, its’ new RBs coach.

Faulk has a ton of playing experience and has spent some time on staff at LSU as the director of player development.

Now, he’ll move into an on-field role. It’ll be interesting to see what he can get out of LSU’s running backs this spring and fall.

Some talk, they were not going to renew his contract. Keep an eye on Faulk, he will recruit with the best of them. Faulk can get on a kid, he’ll get that kid to LSU. Most kids will study on who’s recruiting them, too much in social media. Google Kevin Faulk, same with YouTube. 

• Like 1

I imagine Jimbo wanted Robinson because he CAN coach RB, and as recruiting coordinator at LSU, he must have relationships with all the high school coaches in the state.  Its a good move for A&M.  We may think we are in better shape with Faulk (and I think we are), but that does not mean that A&M did not get into better shape also, at least for recruiting La. 

Ex-LSU tailback All-American Kevin Faulk has job he has always wanted — LSU backs coach

GLENN GUILBEAU | THE DAILY ADVERTISER
Updated 6 hours ago

BATON ROUGE — LSU has had 20 former players become assistant coaches and/or head coach of its football team.

But only three were first-team All-Americans, and as of now only one was a Super Bowl champion.

Kevin Faulk, one of the brightest stars in LSU football history who remains the school's all-time leading rusher with 4,557 yards from 1995-98, confirmed various reports on Tuesday that he is the Tigers' new running backs coach.

"Yes, this is what I've always wanted to do," he said Tuesday morning while celebrating Mardi Gras. "I'll talk a little more tomorrow. I'm with my family now."

Faulk, 43, has been LSU's director of player development the last two seasons.He was an assistant coach at his alma mater Carencro High after retiring from the NFL in 2012 following 13 seasons and three Super Bowl titles out of five appearances with the New England Patriots from 1999-2011. He replaces running backs coach Tommie Robinson, who left for the same job at Texas A&M early this week after three seasons with LSU under head coach Ed Orgeron.

Robinson was one of LSU's chief recruiters as Orgeron built the 2019 national champion Tigers.

A Carencro native, Faulk became one of the the most highly recruited players in the nation during the 1994-95 recruiting season as a tailback from Carencro High.

Bittersweet Move: Faulk hated to leave coaching job at Carencro

A first team All-American in 1996 by the Associated Press and a three-time first team All-Southeastern Conference player from 1996-98 at LSU, Faulk is LSU's initial first team All-American to become an assistant coach since tailback Jerry Stovall of West Monroe was the Tigers' running backs coach from 1974-78. Stovall, a first team All-American in 1962, then was head coach from 1980-83.

LSU running back Kevin Faulk heads up field against Florida Saturday night Oct. 11, 1997 in Baton Rogue, La.

LSU running back Kevin Faulk heads up field against Florida Saturday night Oct. 11, 1997 in Baton Rogue, La.  
BILL HABER, AP

The only other LSU first team All-American to become a LSU coach was end Gaynell "Gus" Tinsley, who was LSU's first All-American in 1935 and in '36 by the Associated Press before becoming LSU's head coach from 1948-54.

Faulk will join two LSU assistant coaches who played for the Tigers — offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger, who was a LSU quarterback from 1976-79, and secondary coach Corey Raymond, who was a defensive back at LSU from 1988-91.

A second round pick by New England in the 1999 NFL Draft, Faulk won Super Bowls with the Patriots in the 2001, '03 and '04 seasons and played in two other Super Bowls in the 2007 and 2011 seasons.

A LSU graduate in 1998, Faulk is a member of the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame in Natchitoches, the LSU Athletic Hall of Fame, the Patriots Hall of Fame as well as New England's All-Decade team of the 2000s and its 50th anniversary team.

LSU begins spring practice on March 7. Faulk will be trying to find a tailback to replace star Clyde Edwards-Helaire out of three who were freshmen in 2019 in Tyrion Davis-Price, Chris Curry and John Emery Jr.

34 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I imagine Jimbo wanted Robinson because he CAN coach RB, and as recruiting coordinator at LSU, he must have relationships with all the high school coaches in the state.  Its a good move for A&M.  We may think we are in better shape with Faulk (and I think we are), but that does not mean that A&M did not get into better shape also, at least for recruiting La. 

Robinson missed on a few RB’s, the last couple years. O wants you to get your guys. As for aTm, they have a number of coaches on their staff that have been in and recruited La. To add, we have always done more damage in Tx, than aTm has done in the state of La. Looking at the aTm roster, La isn’t really represented. A few players, we never offered. 

LSU football: The Tigers became a better recruiting team this week

by Zach Ragan13 hours agoFollow @zachTNT

It’s been an active offseason for LSU football after winning the national championship in January.

LSU football has experienced plenty of staff change this offseason.

The staff shuffling in Baton Rouge might seem a bit extreme, but it’s expected in college football. There’s a lot of movement every year. In fact, it’s rare for a program to not have any staff turnover.

And change can be good.

1.jpg?mode=stretch&connatiximg=true&scale=both&height=169&width=300

Often times, teams are able to upgrade when an assistant leaves.

For example, I think the Tigers became a better defensive team with the hiring of Bo Pelini as defensive coordinator.

And I think LSU’s staff change on Monday helped the program become better in recruiting.

Running backs coach Tommie Robinson, who was previously a candidate to head to South Carolina, is leaving LSU for Texas A&M. Robinson coached the Tigers’ running backs for the past three seasons. And he did a good job, specifically this past season with Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

Buy Now!

Ed Orgeron, however, obviously saw the benefit of making a change (Robinson’s contract was set to expire on March1, which is why this move is happening).

According to multiple reports, the Tigers’ director of player development Kevin Faulk is being promoted to running backs coach.

This is a move that will pay major dividends for LSU both on and off the field.

Current LSU players have “raved about their relationship with Faulk”, according to 247Sports.

Faulk, who is the leading rusher in LSU history, should instantly provide a recruiting boost for the Tigers. Not only is he a former second round pick with 13 seasons of experience in the NFL, he’s also a Louisiana native that can sell LSU unlike anyone else. His NFL/SEC experience will be a massive selling point in recruiting.

Tommie Robinson did a good job at LSU, but Kevin Faulk is absolutely the best choice to coach the Tigers’ running backs in 2020 and beyond.

Jimbo has replaced 4 of his 10 coaches on his staff. Of the four, one moved on to the Dallas Cowboys. One moved to Ole Piss and one to Tenn, both position coaches. The last one, hasn’t gotten a job just yet. 

The Dallas move was a good one, the others, draw your own conclusions. 

With the hire of T-Rob, that fills out his staff. 

Looking at the roster aTm brought into Tiger Stadium this season, they had 5 Louisiana players on it. From what I saw, doesn’t look like we had to go against them for much of those. 

• Like 1

Rabalais: Of all Ed Orgeron's 2020 LSU hires, Kevin Faulk is the biggest slam dunk

1 of 3
Kevin Faulk

Former LSU running back and new running backs coach Kevin Faulk in this May 7, 2016 file photo.

• STAFF FILE PHOTO BY DAVID GRUNFELD

Kevin Faulk

Kevin Faulk (3), seen here Kentucky on Oct. 19, 1996, is still LSU's all-time leading rusher with 4,557 yards.

• ADVOCATE FILE PHOTO BY TRAVIS SPRADLING

image.png.178a7cd31642a6c729814a1ba08561b3.png

Former LSU running backs coach Tommie Robinson on the field before the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl between LSU and Oklahoma, Saturday, December 28, 2019, at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.

• STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

Scott Rabalais

In the ever-growing, dissected and highly analyzed list of LSU coaching staff replacements since its national championship game victory, the opinions cover a broad stretch of the Mississippi River levee front near the Tigers’ football complex.

Is Scott Linehan the best choice to replace Joe Brady as passing game coordinator? Was it a good move to bring back Bo Pelini to be defensive coordinator in place of Dave Aranda? Should LSU have kept Bill Johnson to coach the defensive line and let Dennis Johnson go with Aranda when he became head coach at Baylor?

This latest apparent move by LSU coach Ed Orgeron, though, that Kevin Faulk will replace Tommie Robinson as running backs coach, can’t possibly have many people poking holes in it.

That would be Kevin Faulk, LSU football legend. After Billy Cannon, and now Joe Burrow, the Tigers’ two Heisman Trophy winners, they don’t get much more legend-ier than that. Faulk, who played from 1995-98, is still LSU’s career rushing leader with 4,557 yards and still ranks fourth in Southeastern Conference history in career yards and career rushing touchdowns (46).

After spending the past two seasons as LSU’s director of player development, a non-coaching position on the staff, this was clearly the move Orgeron wanted to make going into 2020. Coach O certainly didn’t want Brady or Aranda to leave, but he just as clearly wanted Faulk in and Robinson out. Why else would Robinson, whose contract was expiring this spring, have interviewed with South Carolina earlier this month and wound up in College Station? That would be South Carolina where head coach and former LSU defensive coordinator Will Muschamp is on the hot seat. Not the other South Carolina school (Clemson) LSU just beat for the national title.

Robinson landed in a good place as A&M is seen as an up-and-comer. But it’s clearly not where LSU is right now.

"We have a plan," Orgeron said in an interview earlier this month on the “Off the Bench” show on WNXX-FM 104.5. "We wish Tommie the best, and if that does happen, I have a guy that we're immediately going to replace him with, and I think the fans are going to be very happy."

Other than the fact that Faulk has little actual hands-on coaching experience — he spent a couple of years coaching at his alma mater Carencro High when his son was in school — there isn’t much for LSU fans not to be happy about. Especially when it comes to recruiting.

Just imagine the instant name recognition when Faulk makes a call or goes for an in-home visit. If I were him, I’d be flashing all three of those Super Bowl rings he won during his 13-year career with the New England Patriots.

“Son,” Faulk can say, “I’ve been exactly where you want to go. Let me show you how to get there.”

The only thing that remains to be seen is whether Faulk or someone else gets Robinson’s other titles of assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator. I wouldn’t be surprised if one or both titles went to cornerbacks coach Corey Raymond, another former Tiger and longtime member of the staff. It would be a nice honorarium from the student fund, as it were, for Raymond not getting the defensive coordinator job.

As for all of Orgeron’s offseason moves — and with spring practice starting March 7 you have to figure LSU is done — it looks like an impressive group.

But none is a splashier hire on name recognition than Faulk. Not around here.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

The hire of Faulk was a very good one. Another story, when Dinardo came in, it’s true, his first stop was in Carenco, La. A good friend of mine was on the previous staff. After they were let go, Kevin was heading out of state. My friend continued to talk with Kevin. During that transition period, the AD and LSU continued to pay my friend. Mainly to keep this class together. 
After the Gerry visit, Faulk was still going to go out of state. 
My friend talked with Kevin, explained that he could do more at LSU, could help to jump start the program. Stayed on him, convinced him, LSU was the school he needed to attend. 
Right before Billy Cannon died, they had a TAF private party, I was invited. I got a chance to talk with Faulk, the coach that was a part of him coming to LSU, nicknamed Kevin “Hoss” So that’s what I call him. Kevin will ask how that coach and family are doing, every time we talk. 
Kevin will do great in his new job. 
Got another Kevin and family story, one day I’ll get to it. 

More: 

Great move:

See the contract details for LSU defensive line coach Bill Johnson

lsuoklahoma.122919 HS 1236.JPG
LSU defensive line coach Bill Johnson on the field before the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl between LSU and Oklahoma, Saturday, December 28, 2019, at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Ga. STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

Feb 27, 2020 - 10:28 am

Last week, LSU defensive line coach Bill Johnson agreed to a two-year, $550,000 per year contract that includes a one-time $71,500 payment, according to a term sheet between the coach and the school The Advocate obtained through a public records request.

Johnson's contract, which he signed Feb. 20, is more than double the amount his predecessor, Dennis Johnson, made before he joined former LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda's staff at Baylor as the Bears' defensive line coach.

Dennis Johnson had a two-year, $210,000 per year contract that was set to expire March 31.

Bill Johnson was hired in August to fill in for Dennis, who moved to an analyst role after suffering severe knee injuries playing basketball in the summer.

Dennis tore patellar tendons in both knees and was initially restricted to an electric wheel chair. First-year analyst Kenechi Udeze and graduate assistant Christian Lacouture helped head coach Ed Orgeron with the defensive line until Bill Johnson arrived two weeks into preseason camp. Speculation began on when or if Dennis Johnson would return to full-time coaching once he recovered.

“We're going to see what happens,” Orgeron said in August. “Bill is the defensive line coach for this year. Then we're going to revisit everything, see what happens. Nothing can tell what happens in college football. So I'm leaving that door open. See what happens at the end.”

Can 'one of the most talented teams' in college football history set records in the NFL draft?

Bill Johnson's new deal, which expires on March 31, 2021, makes him the seventh-highest paid assistant on Orgeron's staff.

Johnson's buyout equals out to 100% of his remaining total compensation if he leaves for any coaching position other than head coach in the Southeastern Conference. He'll owe LSU $225,000 if he leaves for any non-head coaching position in the NCAA, and he won't owe anything if he becomes a college head coach or returns for any coaching position in the NFL.

Term sheets are legally binding employment agreements, and the form says Johnson and the athletic department will draw up a formal long-form agreement within 60 days that includes the agreements in the term sheet.

The long-form agreement then takes precedent and needs approval by the LSU Board of Supervisors, which next meets March 6.

Bill Johnson was Orgeron's mentor. Johnson coached Orgeron at Northwestern State in the early 1980s, and Johnson helped him break into coaching at Northwestern, McNeese State and Miami.

After Orgeron's one season as a defensive line coach in the NFL, spent with the Saints in 2008, he recommended Johnson to be his replacement. Johnson coached with the Saints from 2009 until 2016. He then coached two seasons in the same role with the Los Angeles Rams before he was fired and returned to coach with Orgeron at LSU.

In 2019, LSU's defense ranked 31st nationally in scoring defense (21.9 points allowed per game), 20th nationally in total sacks (37) and 23rd in tackles for loss (96).

Defensive end Rashard Lawrence was named second-team All-SEC, and the 6-foot-2, 308-pound senior recorded six tackles for loss and 2½ sacks in 12 games.

• Like 1

LSU Football: Tigers lose offensive analyst to the NFL

by Zach Ragan11 hours agoFollow @zachTN

It’s been an active offseason for LSU football.

The Athletic’s Joe Person reported on Thursday that LSU football is losing offensive analyst DJ Mangas to the Carolina Panthers.

Mangas, who will serve as an offensive assistant with the Panthers, will join former Tigers passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach Joe Brady in Carolina.

This move doesn’t come as a surprise. In fact, Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger hinted last month that Mangas was a prime candidate to head to Charlotte with Brady.

1.jpg?mode=stretch&connatiximg=true&scale=both&height=169&width=300

Mangas played and coached with Brady at William and Mary, before landing in Baton Rouge last season.

In 2017, Mangas was the second youngest offensive coordinator in the nation (at 27 years old) when he took over control of William and Mary’s offense.

It’s obviously never ideal to lose any assistants — even off the field assistants.

But this is a move that could actually help the Tigers in the long run. Heading to the NFL to learn under Brady will make Mangas a better coach. If new passing game coordinator Scott Linehan makes the jump back to the NFL in the near future (which wouldn’t surprise me, given his previous NFL experience), then Mangas could become a prime candidate to return to LSU as the Tigers’ passing game coordinator.Buy Now!

Of course, that’s looking away ahead. Either way, Joe Brady, and all the coaches that fall under his umbrella, will always be mentioned in the same breath as LSU. And that’s a good thing.

It’ll help the Tigers in recruiting and it’ll help anytime they have a staff position come open.