Gameday Tigers

Christmas Eve, 1989, Where Were You?

LSUDad

BOT, the Christmas Eve of 89, I was boarding a ship in the Mississippi River,  about 300 yards from the blast site. I had stepped off the gangway, started to talk with my friend the Chief Mate of the ship, then it went off. I had drove through the blast site roughly an hour before. Having all my kids Christmas presents in my vehicle, I had planned to put them together that night. I didn’t make it home in time for Christmas, my father-in-law went to the story bought the same items, assembled them, the kids had Christmas. About a week later, I returned the gifts, explaining where I was for the last few days.  

• Like 1

My youngest sister was in from out-of-town staying with our mom in the City Park area. The bathroom had a small gas heater on the wall that had to be lit with a match. True story. Just as she lit it to take a bath, Exxon blew. At least she was near a toilet in a room with tile flooring.

My house was in Greenwell Springs, still a big boom/shake way out there. It caused a frozen copper pipe to crack, and I had to shut the water off to the house. Problem is, we were hosting the entire family for Christmas Eve that night. Solution. I had a pool so I had 5 gallon buckets of water available to flush toilets. We made it thru and have great memories from that day.

• Like 1