Gameday Tigers

OK to talk about the 2020 season now....

houtiger

Ed Orgeron breaks down the receiver pecking order at LSU following Ja'Marr Chase's departure

Michael Wayne Bratton | 32 minutes ago

When a future pro walks out the door in Baton Rouge, the Tigers may just have another pro (or two) ready to step up and replace them.

During his most recent media availability, Ed Orgeron was asked if his receiver room broke down in this order — Terrace Marshall No. 1, Racey McMath No. 2, Kayshon Boutte No. 3, and Koy Moore No. 4.

00:05
05:39

“Yeah, more than likely what you just said, but obviously, that fluctuates day by day,” Orgeron answered. “A guy’s going to have a hot day but you know, we look at it, Kayshon Boutte starting as freshmen – that’s nothing that is locked in. Racey McMath (in the race for that spot). Terrace Marshall has to be our go-to-guy, we mentioned that this morning and Arik Gilbert. I think if you look at that, those are the top four receivers that we have right now.

“Koy Moore is coming along. He’s very fast, he’s had a hamstring pull. He’s been hurt a little bit so you’ve been hampered a little.  Jontre Kirklin is having a good camp. We want to play 6,7, 8 receivers, keep them fresh, but the guys that you mentioned are having the best camp right now.”

These comments from Coach O echo similar sentiments the coach had on Tuesday when discussing Boutte earlier in the day.

“And I’ll tell you what, the day that Ja’Marr left, Kayshon Boutte had his best practice. Next man up,” Orgeron said during an appearance on Baton Rouge-based ESPN 104.5 FM radio show “Off The Bench.”

If you don’t follow recruiting, Boutte was rated as the nation’s No. 2 receiver and a five-star prospect in the 2020 recruiting cycle.

Many of the faces may be new but it sounds like LSU is going to be loaded at receiver once again.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2020 at 1:06 AM, LSUDad said:

I know some talk about O and the staff wanting a transfer to come in. 

I got in touch with a friend on the staff, we can only take 1 more player. As for now, the 85 number doesn’t come into play. We will be way under the 85 number. 

Here we go! 

New LSU corner Darren Evans: 'More blessed than ever to put on for my city'

btnzszrwqddpscwyn7hj
Jerit Roser • TigerDetails
Staff

Darren Evans grew up idolizing LSU stars Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu.

Now, the Baton Rouge native will be following in their 'DBU' footsteps.

The Nicholls State cornerback quietly committed to the hometown Tigers on Friday, Aug. 28, following a whirlwind Thursday in the transfer portal.

Evans has now enrolled at the university and, after waiting a week for the clearance of his transfer waiver, is expected to begin participating in practice this week.

"It's amazing because I wasn't recruited this hard coming out of high school," he explains. "Everyone told me I should leave Glen Oaks. But it was my home. And now I realize how big of a decision that was, but God always had a plan for me."

Evans only garnered attention from a few college at the end of his career at Glen Oaks Senior High, on the northeast side of Baton Rouge.

The 6-foot-2, 150-pound athlete played all over the field, in all three phases, for a short-handed Panthers squad fighting an uphill battle weekly in a district that included perennial powers University Lab and Parkview Baptist and an ascending West Feliciana.

But, even before the spotlight came, Evans was showing flashes of major potential to the community.

"He has been a diamond in the rough for years," said high school teammate Stadford Anderson, now a senior running back at Northwestern State. "He is a pure athlete. He's long, rangy with speed that can cover the whole field. And he's an even better person off the field — honest with himself, honest to others, humble and hard-working.

"Everyone in Glen Oaks knew D was the one who would grow into something special. He was great in high school, and it was obvious he was nowhere near his peak. He got to Nicholls, redshirted, put on some weight and has been flourishing ever since."

Evans headed to Thibodaux with other Baton Rouge area standouts such as U-High linebacker Laryon James and Zachary tight end Cameron Carrier.

He redshirted, hit the weight room with determination — "Yeah, I was small," he laughs — and began seeing dividends and making strides.

Evans quickly began scratching his way into the Colonels' lineup as a redshirt freshman in 2017, eventually starting the final five games of the season and never looking back.

Now 6-foot-3, 180-pounds, with a 4.37-second 40-yard dash, the rising senior has started the program's past 32 contests, including all-conference honors in 2018.

"He's a guy that when I stepped on campus and looked at him, I immediately thought he was going to the (National Football) League," said quarterback Lindsey Scott Jr., a one-time LSU signee who transferred to Nicholls State last September. "He's got a lot of range and has those long arms. He reminds me a lot of (Louisiana native and Minnesota Viking rookie) Cameron Dantzler. He was the guy that locked up the opposing team's best wide receiver every week."

Evans had looked forward to playing his senior season in Thibodaux with Scott and company until the Southland Conference's decision Aug. 13 to delay its fall sports until at least the spring.

"I was very emotional," he admits, "because I didn't know exactly what was going to happen. I didn't know if we were going to play in the spring or if we will have a season this year at all. The uncertainty really drove me into thinking about the portal.

"I know that I am good enough to play on the next level, so it was just a lot of long talks with my family to finally decide to enter."

An Oct. 3 trip to Tiger Stadium was eagerly anticipated among the highlights of his senior season at Nicholls State.

Now, in addition to playing on the same field where Peterson and Mathieu earned a slew of All-America honors in 2009, 2010 and 2011, Evans will don the same purple and gold uniform.

"It's gonna be different," he says. "A feeling you can't explain."

Evans officially entered the NCAA transfer portal Thursday morning.

And, almost immediately, Hawaii started a string of contacts that quickly included LSU, Ole Piss, Mississippi State, Louisiana Tech and Memphis.

"Maybe two minutes after — I was kinda amazed on how fast, but I knew that they were coming," he laughs. "I've never used my phone this much. I've charged it like four times."

His heart was always home.

"My favorite," Evans says of LSU. "That's the only college team I truly grew up watching."

And the proximity to his family, including his 10-month-old son Dion, and opportunity for them to watch him play provided an unparalleled bonus.

But they wanted to make sure to make the best business decision for his immediate and long-term future, too.

"My family is very excited, but being more of a coach than anything," he laughs again. "They're just making sure I make the right decision Just making sure where I wanna be and if I will play."

Everything cornerbacks coach and recruiting coordinator Corey Raymond told him Thursday helped check those boxes.

"We mostly spoke on the whole situation that's going on and how I could fit in," Evans says. "I can't go into much detail — just that I will play."

An NCAA ruling last week to grant all athletes an additional year of eligibility and an additional year in which to complete their eligibility would allow Evans the opportunity to potentially play this and next year.

But LSU hopes to see him make an immediate impact.

Coach Ed Orgeron referenced Tuesday that the Tigers were researching their options to potentially add a transfer cornerback with a remaining unused scholarship in the 2020 recruiting class.

Sophomores Derek Stingley Jr. and Cordale Flott provide nearly all of the experience for a young group at the position needing depth.

"If there is a cornerback or maybe a nickel corner out there that's available, we may take him," the coach said. "And we could use him right now because we're a little short."

The SEC, ACC, Big-12, AAC, Conference USA and Sun Belt continue navigating the circumstances toward fall competition — with some teams scheduled to play as early as Sept. 5.

LSU's opener to an adjusted 10-game, all-conference slate is set for Sept. 26 against Mississippi State.

"I would just tell him to be confident in the work he's put in," Scott said. "I watched this guy grind all summer to get to the place he wants to be. He's getting this opportunity because he's one of the best at what he does. Believe in that fact and in yourself, and ball every week."

That advice echos the mindset that fueled Evans' unconventional path to realize his childhood dream and turned the under-the-radar late bloomer into highly sought-after SEC commodity.

Evans becomes the Tigers' first signee from Glen Oaks since quarterback Marcus Randall in 2000 and linebacker Gabe Northern in 1992.

Both former Panthers ultimately reached the NFL.

Evans has similar goals in mind.

But, mainly, he's grateful to be following in so many of his childhood heroes' footsteps to a destination closer to home that he'd eyed since elementary school.

"So much sweeter," Evans says. "I feel more blessed than ever to come home and put on for my city."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

We look to have 70 scholarship players, 15 under the limit. 

Sounds like being in the 3rd year of a three year probation, except that top talent has been willing to come to LSU because we are not actually on probation.  So, we don't have the numbers, but we do have the quality.  I bet a lot of freshmen will get more experience this year than usual.

Better Know a Freshman: Xavier Hill

Young guard could be called into action early

By Zach Junda@ZacharyJunda  Sep 14, 2020

Xavier_Hill.0.jpg

Having quality depth, especially along the offensive line, is a must in football. If one guy goes down it can totally change the offensive line and by extension the offense. 

Heading into the 2020 season, LSU literally has no proven depth amongst its backup offensive linemen. If something happens to Dare Rosenthal or Ed Ingram we could very easily see someone like Xavier Hill.

The Story

Xavier Hill is one of those players who, despite being a three-star recruit, had an extensive list of offers from powerhouse programs. In addition to LSU, schools like Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Texas A&M and Tennessee all offered Hill, who was ranked No. 483 in 247’s composite rankings. 

Hill actually committed to Alabama the summer of 2019. He took his official visit to Tuscaloosa in June of 2019, and committed four days later. But offensive line coach James Cregg stayed on Hill, and Hill visited campus unofficially about a month after committing to Alabama. 

Whatever Hill saw in Baton Rouge must have really resonated with him because he decommitted from Alabama in October and committed to LSU just ahead of the Texas A&M game. While LSU had Hill’s commitment, it was the Mississippi State Bulldogs who got the coveted last official visit and the Tigers had to hold their breath that Hill wouldn’t decommit from his second SEC school. But Hill elected to spurn the home state Bulldogs and stuck with his commitment to LSU, signed his letter of intent in December and enrolled in June. 

The Numbers

Five-stars (98-110 rating): The top 32 players in the country to mirror the 32 first round picks in the NFL Draft. These are 32 players that we believe are the most likely to be drafted in the first round from each recruiting class. The full list of 32 with five-star ratings typically isn’t complete until the final ranking. Any player with a rating of more than 100 is considered a “franchise player” and one that does not come around in every recruiting class.

Four-stars (90-97 rating): These are players that we believe are the most likely to produce college careers that get them drafted. By National Signing Day, this number is typically in the range of 350 prospects, roughly the top 10 percent of prospects in a given class.

Three-stars (80-89 rating): This is where the bulk of college football prospects are found and it incorporates a large range of ability levels, all of whom we consider as possible NFL players long term.

Two-stars (70-79 rating): These are prospects that we consider to be FBS-level players with very limited NFL potential.

247 Composite Ranking: ***

247 Composite Rating: .8796

The Film

If there’s film out there I can’t find it so...that’s awkward.

The Future

Hill’s future is hard to predict. His 247 profile is sparse and like I said there’s a lack of film out there. What I know is this: Alabama not only wanted him, they had him in its 2020 recruiting class. That tells me Hill can play and we may see him in 2020 as a potential injury replacement.

High End: Sees meaningful snaps as a freshman, uses that early seasoning to springboard into a quality starter in 2021

Low End: Sticks in the two-deep but is only a depth guy. 

Realistic: Maybe I’m overly optimistic, but something about Hill makes me think he could be the diamond in the rough for this year’s class. I keep going back to his list of schools he got offers from and it’s far more impressive than you’d expect a three-star player to get. I think Hill gets the first crack at replacing Ed Ingram at left guard whenever Ingram departs.

• Like 2

SEC reportedly close to finalizing minimum player requirements to play this season

Michael Wayne Bratton | 14 minutes ago

What’s it going to take to cancel a game in the Southeastern Conference this season?

According to Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports, SEC teams will have to have a minimum of 53 scholarship players available to play heading into a game.

Hopefully, it doesn’t come to that during any point in the season but the SEC has to be smart and at least prepare for this potential possibility.

In addition to that overall number, each team must have a quarterback, seven offensive linemen and four defensive linemen, according to Thamel. He also notes that the final approval of these numbers is pending but claims the SEC is “headed that way” when it comes to approving these numbers.

We’ve seen a number of games called off already during the football season but we’ve yet to see a single Power 5 matchup lost due to COVID.

Now we know what it would take for that to happen in the SEC.

Eight LSU Tigers on All-SEC Preseason football team

By TigerBait Staff
September 17, 2020

BATON ROUGE – Reigning national champion LSU placed eight players on the 2020 Preseason Coaches All-Southeastern Conference Football Team, the league office announced on Thursday.

Headlining the list of LSU players on the All-SEC team include cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. and safety JaCoby Stevens, who were both named to the first team. Stingley Jr. is coming off a freshman season that saw him earn consensus All-America honors. He led the SEC in both interceptions (6) and passes defended (21). Stingley also earned a spot on the second team as an all-purpose player.

Stevens, a senior, was named SEC Defensive Player of the Week three times in 2019 and he finished second on the team in tackles (92), sacks (5.0) and was third in tackles for loss (9.0). Stevens also intercepted three passes a year ago.

Second team selections include offensive linemen Ed Ingram and Austin Deculus along with wide receiver Terrace Marshall Jr., and placekicker Cade York.  

Third-team selections for the Tigers include freshman tight end Arik Gilbert and defensive tackle Glen Logan.

This marks the 18th consecutive year of the SEC Coaches Preseason All-SEC Team. Coaches were not permitted to vote for their own players.

LSU opens the 2020 season on Saturday, Sept. 26 against Mississippi State in Tiger Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. and will be televised on CBS.

2020 Preseason Coaches All-SEC Football Team (* - ties)

First Team Preseason All-SEC

OFFENSE

TE

Kyle Pitts, Florida

OL

Alex Leatherwood, Alabama
Trey Smith, Tennessee
Darian Kinnard, Kentucky
Landon Dickerson, Alabama

C

Drake Jackson, Kentucky

WR