Gameday Tigers

New Lineup

Hatchertiger

All you have to do is listen to PM talk and you get figure out where players stand with him. If he singles a player our for less than stellar play whether in field or in the batter's box or if he doesn't mention someone at all, they need to begin worrying about their spot:

Edited by Hatchertiger

I like the Hampton in CF move, unsure about Dugas and Mathis at those positions.  Dugas...he's gotta hit better.  Mathis...damn, I don't know...I just don't see a SS there.  But hey if it means a switch from Hal for a minute I'll take it. 

I like Doughty.  I think HE can play SS and probably will by the time he leaves LSU.  

I'm good with tinkering with the lineup early, but at the same time, we have to win these midweek games too.

A lot of people talked shyte about our midweek record not mattering last year.
Well if you don't win the SEC, you better smoke your lesser competition.

And last year we did neither.
We had a losing record against the rest of Louisiana.

repeat: WE HAD A LOSING RECORD AGAINST REST OF LOUISIANA.

that is simply not acceptable.

From Dandydon today. Here was probably PM's plan for SS this year if HH didn't pan out and it still eventually may be once he heals up:

And there’s another “Zach” who could come into play. His name is Zach Arnold and he came to LSU as a highly heralded shortstop. He suffered a rib injury early in fall practice, underwent surgery to remove the rib and should be back in action some point in March. He’ll have a chance to compete at the position.

The skinny on him:

Zach Arnold, INF       

6-2, 190, R-R, Fr., HS         

Temecula, Calif. (Great Oak HS) 

• Selected by the Baltimore Orioles in the 34th round of the 2019 MLB Draft
  • A three-year letterman in baseball at Great Oak High School in Temecula, Calif., where he helped led the team to the 2019 CIF Division 3 Championship
  • Playing this summer in the Northern California Collegiate League as a member of the Lincoln Potters; through games of July 28, he was batting .308 with one triple, two doubles, four homers, seven steals and 18 RBI
  • Batted .406 in his high school career at Great Oak with 11 doubles, nine triples, seven homers, 33 RBI and 23 steals
  • 2019 California All-State infielder for medium-sized high schools
  • Two-time All-League shortstop (2018, 2019)
  • 2019 Division 3 All-CIF Infielder

Head Coach Paul Mainieri on Zach Arnold:

“We were very fortunate to land Zach during this summer. He originally was signed to go to Oregon but when a coaching change was made there, he was granted a release from his NLI. We had lost a shortstop in the draft, and Zach filled our need for a good all-around shortstop. All the reports tell us that Zach has the tools to be an outstanding player. Defensively, he is very advanced and should be able to be very steady and sure-handed. Offensively, he will continue to make big strides and as he adds strength to his athletic frame, he will hit the ball with authority. He will compete right away to be the starting shortstop in 2020. I’m very excited about the future with this young man from Southern California.”

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/LongFormArticle/LSU-baseball-2020-roster-2019-signees-134044132/

2 minutes ago, cajunlostincali said:

Can you imagine having a rib removed? Da hell

no, which is why i reacted that way.

Hell i ain't ever even heard of it. Must have been a nasty jagged break maybe?

wonder if the recovery time is quicker and easier with a removal than the old school tightening a strap around your torso?
man those things sucked ass back in the day.

to this day two of the worst injuries i ever had were rib injuries.

Newz:

The LSU starting pitchers will ideally go six innings and 90 pitches this weekend as they increase their endurance, Paul Mainieri said.

Paul Mainieri on Maurice Hampton: “Maurice is getting better with not just each passing day, but with each passing at bat and each passing play. In centerfield at the plate, I just think he's getting better and better.” 

Will start in centerfield this weekend.

Paul Mainieri sees Jaden Hill as a future Friday night starter at LSU, but he hopes to keep Hill in the bullpen this season because that means the current starters pitched well. Still, LSU will stretch him this weekend. Hoping for three innings, about 45 pitches.

Paul Mainieri: Wes Toups will play LF. Hal Hughes will play short. Alex Milazzo will catch two of three games. 

Trying to get more balance and bat handling in the lineup.

Edited by cajunlostincali
  • Like 1

For those down on Hughes, I'm still kinda wait and see. He is seeing the ball better, much more selective on pitches he swings at and making decent contact. Though he is light years from where we want our SS hitting the ball, he is at least showing improvement. 

I think Paul is a bit more focused on defense with our rotation over the weekend and that shows by putting Mizzano behind the dish. Hampton is coming along faster than I think most believed, so he needs the reps to continue improvement a that goes for AB's. Pitching will go deeper this weekend and with some names in the pen having good/ great showings, opponent's should be kept to low scores giving the lineup a chance to gel.  

Edited by cajunlostincali