Gameday Tigers

LSU Becoming The “It” School

LSUDad

NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE - SEPTEMBER 21: Ja'Marr Chase #1 of the LSU Tigers celebrates after making a reception against the Vanderbilt Commodores during the first half at Vanderbilt Stadium on September 21, 2019 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Frederick Breedon/Getty Images)

NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE - SEPTEMBER 21: Ja'Marr Chase #1 of the LSU Tigers celebrates after making a reception against the Vanderbilt Commodores during the first half at Vanderbilt Stadium on September 21, 2019 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Frederick Breedon/Getty Images)

LSU football on the verge of becoming the “it” offer for recruits

LSU football has put itself in elite company in the college football world.

A recent discussion between Rivals recruiting analysts Adam Gorney and Mike Farrell suggested that LSU football is on the verge of becoming the “it” offer for college football recruits.

Gorney and Farrell describe the “it” school as the one program that when recruits get an offer and visit, it’s all over. They shut it down and don’t mess around with other programs.

For now, both analysts believe that Clemson is the “it” offer for recruits, with Alabama a close second.

1.jpg?mode=stretch&connatiximg=true&scale=both&height=169&width=300

Gorney, however, believes LSU is entering that conversation, saying “LSU is almost getting into that realm as well of kids taking a trip there, committing and then not really playing games over the remainder of their recruitment”.

I think Gorney and Farrell are close to being spot on. I still think it’s a bit of a tie between Alabama and Clemson at the top.

And I definitely agree the LSU is creeping into that conversation. When it comes to in-state recruiting, no one dominates like LSU. But the (real) Tigers are also on the verge of becoming the “it” school on a national level.

Georgia, of course, is another program that’s very much in that conversation as well.

Buy Now!

In LSU’s case, though, they aren’t battling many programs that are geographically close to them for local recruits.

Alabama, Clemson and Georgia don’t have that luxury. Auburn, South Carolina and Tennessee are threats to Alabama, Clemson and Georgia in recruiting. And those “lower” programs are able to steal elite recruits away from time to time.

That tends to not be a big issue for LSU.

If LSU can prove their 2019 season wasn’t a fluke based on the success of Joe Burrow and Joe Brady, then I think we’ll see Baton Rouge become the recruiting capital of the college football world in the near future.

• Like 2

Recruiting is supposed to be one of O's strengths.  He enjoyed success his first couple of years, but we have had some rude surprises on signing days, or just missed on some kids.  Just look over at Alabama, and they have some big time La. recruits we wanted, like Devonta Smith and Dylan Moses.  We had a lot of effort in on Cam Akers and he went to Fla. State.  We lost to two receivers this year to Maryland and Georgia.  You're always subject to some misses, but we missed enough not to be the "it" school in the past.  2020 looks better, even with missing the receivers.  We did outstanding on the d-line, with the La. kids we have to keep at home.  With the coach of the year honor and a natty for O, and Burrow's ringing endorsement of him during his Heisman speech, this can only improve O's position and credibility when he talks to recruits.  And it is not going to hurt Ensminger's credibility either!  Bo Pellini has plenty of credibility.  Corey Raymond has credibility.  LSU should be in its strongest position in decades from a recruiting standpoint.  Some will rely on how well LSU does in 2020, was it a one time wonder, or do we have staying power?  LSU has to go out and prove we have staying power in the West.  But O has put himself in a much stronger position to compete with the midget, and he was already doing pretty good.  O says, "what do we have to do to get better?"!  That's the right question.  Geaux Tigers!

And another thing, that picture above of JaMarr Chase.  That shows one of the things I like about Chase.  There is a joy about him when he's playing the game.  That is one of the things I like about watching him play.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

To a certain extent, most of this runs in cycles. Nebraska, Miami, Fla St, USC, etc have all had their runs. To continue is the big thing. 

O seems to be the guy for continuation of his product. Selling LSU. Changing personal within the staff. I often talk about replacing staff with someone as good, or better. The last two coordinator hires, he’s done this. 

Bringing more Pro Coaches into the staff, most kids want into the NFL. 

Question for everybody.  A few years ago, people were beginning to question Tommy Moffit as the strength coach.  Players were cramping on hot days, on the LSU sideline, but it did not appear to affect the other team.  Then we would see LSU lose games in the 4th quarter when we played top competition.  Some said we were not conditioned well.  Now Moffit is back in good graces.  I suspect Moffit didn't change.  So, what changed?

• Thanks 1

I remember the rancor back them. Suspect its mostly fans not really knowing what they are talking about and being completely ignorant about exactly what Moffit's approach is. For all we know he hasn't changed anything. Not saying there wasn't an issue, just that I'm don't know enough to have  a credible opinion. But that doesn't stop some fans 🙂 

• Like 1

Moffitt has trained more than most. The InbredGumps S&C Coach trained under Moffitt. Jimbo’s S&C Coach at Fla St, trained under Moffitt. Former LSU Player Brett Bech trained under Moffitt, and was the Asst S&C Coach for the Dallas Cowboys last year. 

nick tried to hire Moffitt away when he got the Miami job. nick hired a guy I know, Bert Hill, when Moffitt kept turning him down. 

Remember Moffitt trained under Hatch, and Hatch trained under Alvin Roy. 

15 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Moffitt has trained more than most. The InbredGumps S&C Coach trained under Moffitt. Jimbo’s S&C Coach at Fla St, trained under Moffitt. Former LSU Player Brett Bech trained under Moffitt, and was the Asst S&C Coach for the Dallas Cowboys last year. 

nick tried to hire Moffitt away when he got the Miami job. nick hired a guy I know, Bert Hill, when Moffitt kept turning him down. 

Remember Moffitt trained under Hatch, and Hatch trained under Alvin Roy. 

Speaking of: 

Longtime Nick Saban assistant Scott Cochran reportedly leaving Alabama for Georgia

Michael Wayne Bratton | 1 hour ago

It’s an end of an era in Tuscaloosa as longtime Nick Saban assistant Scott Cochran is reportedly leaving Alabama for Georgia. Cochran has been on staff at Alabama dating back to 2007.

Cochran has served as Saban’s head strength and conditioning coach during the coach’s entire tenure at Alabama. Cochran is so well known, CBS news program “60 Minutes” has profiled the job he’s done at Alabama and a series of TV commercials featuring Cochran aired last college football season.

When Kirby Smart was hired to lead Georgia’s program, he tried to hire Cochran as his head strength and conditioning coach. When Jeremy Pruitt was hired at Tennessee, he did the same. As did Lane Kiffin when he was hired at Ole Piss.

Now, according to Cecil Hurt of the Tuscaloosa News, Cochran is finally leaving Alabama and will land a full-time role on Smart’s Georgia coaching staff. The only opening currently on the Georgia staff is at special teams coordinator, the other nine positions of Smart’s staff are currently filled.

Following Hurt’s report, Bruce Feldman of The Athletic has also reported Cochran’s move to Georgia.

If you aren’t familiar with the work of Cochran, here’s a video showcases his personality during his time in Tuscaloosa.

I'll come back to my question, why did folks question Tommy Moffitt at LSU?  I think it came down to lack of depth, particularly on both lines of scrimmage.  When O took over, he said we needed to build up both lines.  It was not that we didn't have good starters.  But in the big games, our backups were not good enough to trust playing them enough to rest the starters.  We got tired late in games, and it was not lack of conditioning, but teams like InbredGumps, Auburn and Fla. had better depth and it would show up late in games.  Against lesser teams, our backups could dominate and we didn't look tired.

O has been doing good recruiting quality players, so if someone gets hurt and we have to play a backup, we don't notice a dropoff in talent.  Consider when Devin White was called for targeting and had to sit out against InbredGumps for the first half.  I was impressed with Queen's play, he did real well.  The same was true along both lines, we could substitute or cover for an injured player, and we were not going to lose a game because of one weak link. 

I think Moffitt was always good, and signing good recruits shows it.

To be the "it" school, you have to be good everywhere, and strength and conditioning was questioned at one point, but it was certainly not questioned in 2019.

Agree, Moffitt knows what he’s doing, one of the better in the business. Interested to see who nick gets for his replacement. 

Quick one, nick tried to hire Moffitt to Miami. Moffitt kept turning him down. Like I said, nick hired a guy I know, Bert Hill. Bert was with the Detroit Lions when Eric Andolsek was up there. Bert and I got to talk one time when I was up in Dallas. We both agreed had Eric not gotten killed, he would have been in the Pro Football HOF. 
nick finally got Bert to agree to be the S&C Coach for the Dolphins, telling Bert that he would be there for a minimum of 5 years. Bert was shocked when he was in the weight room, and a call came in for him. When he answered it was nick, telling him thanks and that he was talking the InbredGumps job. 

BOT: The lack of depth this year, was helped with sitting players out, getting younger players in the games down the stretch. Testing guys. We played for a 15 game season. 

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 1

Scott kind of burned a few bridges before leaving gumpville. Remember, Scott’s an LSU grad. This is an odd time to leave a program, being, the S&C staff spend more time with players at this time of the year. Getting S&C before going into the Spring. Also remember the True Freshmen that have made it to campus. 

As for Robinson leaving for aTm, Jimbo spent lots of his time in BTR. He has hired a number of folks with ties to LSU, quick check. 
Darrell Dickey (OC), the TE Coach, WR, OL, and now, the RB’s coach. Haven’t looked into the support staff. But to add, Jimbo spent most of his career in BTR. 

Edited by LSUDad