Gameday Tigers

Coronavirus (non-sports related)

Nutriaitch

2 hours ago, COTiger said:

Link?

my bad CO, it’s 91%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

the info i was using was counting all “not dead” as “recovered”  which does not take into account currently active cases (which obviously aren't recovered yet).
My fault for not double checking my work. ***

but my point still stands. 

91% of people are recovering with “no vaccine”, “no treatment”, “no cure”, and with “immune systems not yet adapted to this new virus”

how is it possible to have a success rate anywhere close to that high without a treatment or cure?

so one of the two reports almost certainly has to be wrong. 

either the number of recoveries is inaccurate. 
or the reports that we can’t treat this thing is. 

because both can’t be true at the same time. 

***edit to clarify because it reads funky.  I did not have the wrong info, i USED the wrong info when calculating recovery rate.

2 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Plasma from newly recovered patients can treat others infected by the virus.

a 103-year-old grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for six days in Wuhan.

three Maryland coronavirus patients have fully recovered and are able to return to everyday life.

not possible!!!!!!
i was told in this very topic there was no treatment for this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

91% of people are recovering with “no vaccine”, “no treatment”, “no cure”, and with “immune systems not yet adapted to this new virus”

how is it possible to have a success rate anywhere close to that high without a treatment or cure?

Those are the 64K questions.

Just now, COTiger said:

Those are the 64K questions.

which is why I say this doesn't add up.

It's actually not mathematically or scientifically possible for the media reports (no cure, more contagious than flu, etc.) and the numbers being released to BOTH be accurate at the same time.

one of them has to be inaccurate.

On 3/13/2020 at 9:34 PM, Hatchertiger said:

Nootch you hug that son of yours and tell him for me thank you for serving his country. 🇱🇷

will do Hatch. 

He hangs around with the right group too. 
Has a pair of buddies (that are here alll the time) that are graduating with him and are also enlisted. 

One in Army, he’s Navy, and another buddy is Coast Guard.  All 3 leave for basic training within 2 weeks of each other. 

they are all at my house right now actually. earlier they were discussing the potential of not having a graduation ceremony  and praying their ship dates don’t push back  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

not possible!!!!!!
i was told in this very topic there was no treatment for this.

Doesn't say how they recovered.  Most people do not die from it, just like most people do not die from flu.  The fact that they recovered in now way means that there is a treatment that attacks the corona virus.  If we had a treatment that attacked the virus, we could save many of the elderly who succumb to it.

If there was a treatment that attacked the corona virus, then in my link about the search for a treatment, they would have said they were looking for another treatment, or a better treatment, or a cheaper treatment.  But, it says they are looking for a treatment, meaning that none currently exists.

Then we have this from University of California, San Francisco:

This is not “just a bad flu.”

COVID-19 is more serious than the seasonal flu in several ways. Unlike the flu, there is no known treatment or vaccine for COVID-19. The overall case fatality rate may be 1 to 2 percent, which is 10 to 20 times higher than that of the flu.

We may also be more susceptible to the novel coronavirus because humans have never encountered it before, unlike strains of the flu that often circulate. When it comes to specific immunity against the new virus, “we’re all running naked,” said Martin. He speculated that more generic forms of "innate" immunity may be responsible for younger individuals having an easier time avoiding disease.

The young and healthy have a critical role to play.

Social distancing now is one of the greatest calls for altruism,” said Martin. “People aren’t asked to do this to protect themselves, it’s really to protect those who are most susceptible.Data from tens of thousands of cases in China suggests that the severity of COVID-19 increases dramatically with older age and for those with underlying health conditions. The death rate for infected patients in their 80s was about 15 percent in the Chinese study.

People need to understand that this is really, really serious,” said Rutherford. “It’s up to you to not get infected and to not infect others. Prevent infection by staying in your house, washing your hands, avoiding people who are sick. Society needs your help.”

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/03/416906/why-experts-are-urging-social-distancing-combat-coronavirus-outbreak

2 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Doesn't say how they recovered.  Most people do not die from it, just like most people do not die from flu.  The fact that they recovered in now way means that there is a treatment that attacks the corona virus.  If we had a treatment that attacked the virus, we could save many of the elderly who succumb to it.

If there was a treatment that attacked the corona virus, then in my link about the search for a treatment, they would have said they were looking for another treatment, or a better treatment, or a cheaper treatment.  But, it says they are looking for a treatment, meaning that none currently exists.

Then we have this from University of California, San Francisco:

dude, i’m not a doctor, but the other articles are using the word “treated” the phrase “being treated” or some other combination or form of it. 

we are doing something that is being called “treating”. and 91% of patients are recovering. 

What the hell that means scientifically i don’t know.  But it’s working at a rather high success rate for being luck  or voodoo or anything other than intentionally “treating” it with the proper medications to make it go away.

You can use medical lingo to say “treating” isn’t the proper term. And it may not be.

But the medication currently being used is working at a very high success rate. A rate that has continued to climb since this got started.

So when i use the term “treated” this is what i mean. Successfully medicating and sending a pertinent home without the damn thing. 

4 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

dude, i’m not a doctor, but the other articles are using the word “treated” the phrase “being treated” or some other combination or form of it. 

we are doing something that is being called “treating”. and 91% of patients are recovering. 

What the hell that means scientifically i don’t know.  But it’s working at a rather high success rate for being luck  or voodoo or anything other than intentionally “treating” it with the proper medications to make it go away.

You can use medical lingo to say “treating” isn’t the proper term. And it may not be.

But the medication currently being used is working at a very high success rate. A rate that has continued to climb since this got started.

So when i use the term “treated” this is what i mean. Successfully medicating and sending a pertinent home without the damn thing.

I used the word "treating" in a specific context, i.e. Tamiflu is an effective treatment for the flu.  Tamiflu attacks the flu virus.

This is what I said:

What is available is flu stats with a vaccine and effective treatment (Tamiflu).

to corona virus with no vaccine, no treatment, and with generally EXTREME measures of social distancing and quarantine of the sick, lots of hand washing and sanitizing of surroundings.  That is not apples to apples.

And my statement is correct, for corona virus, there is no treatment like Tamiflu for the flu, there is nothing yet that attacks the corona virus. 

You got loose with your language, ignored the context in which I made my statement, and changed the context to "any treatment" that people received, even if it was just for the symptoms. 

You have the same thing with ALS, patients can be treated in a general sense for the symptoms, but the disease is eventually fatal.  Specifically, there is no treatment for ALS.  The difference with corona virus is that it is not always fatal.

As near as I can tell, the reason we go through all the social distancing is that its transmission rate is much higher than the flu when you don't use social distancing to control it and the morbidity rate is much higher than the flu, particularly for those over 60 and / or with underlying health issues.  The only place that saw corona virus native and unchecked was Wuhan China, before they realized and admitted what was happening.  When they saw what had happened, they said it is so bad that it cannot spread beyond Wuhan and that is when they closed the airport and blocked all roads out of town.  The only reason that I see why the statistics are not much worse for corona is that every major nation that has it in its borders have all implemented extreme social distancing, eventually.

Can you point to one nation with corona virus in its borders, and what is the spread rate in that nation, and what is the morbidity rate in that nation?  I don't think it exists, and that is why you can't make a valid comparison of the transmission rate and morbidity rates between flu and corona.  They are treated radically different by the nations that have them.

3 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

so Ny'Quil is kicking this thing's ass at a 91% clip?

I’ve been taking Day and Ny’Quil, also certain minerals, Zinc for one. My daughter also says Elderberries, I know mixed reports on the berries part. 
On the Quils, I don’t take the full dosage, just a shot. 

My other daughter is a PA, gave me both the Flu and Pneumonia shots about two months ago. 

Hope everyone stays healthy.

Oh, my good friend owns a larger restaurant, she has venders still running. Got eggs, vegetables, salad dressing, etc. last night. We almost had a fight last night, she didn’t want to charge me, so finely she rang up my total, $4.99, I fixed her, I gave her a $15 tip. Why are women like that? I just walk in the cooler, the shopping starts. Oh, she has toilet paper stacked to the ceiling. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

jesus!

i was actually being sarcastic with the Ny’Quil comment. 

but in reality, this shyte is so deadly 80% don’t even have to see a Dr. They can just buy fornicating tylenol and be ok?

wow. just fornicating wow. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

jesus!

i was actually being sarcastic with the Ny’Quil comment. 

but in reality, this shyte is so deadly 80% don’t even have to see a Dr. They can just buy fornicating tylenol and be ok?

wow. just fornicating wow. 

If you listen to treatments, they are treating normal folks, just like someone who has the flu. The folks that have immune system problems, older folks, etc. They are the ones with the problems. 

This thing is over.... hydrochloroquine and chloroquine have 100% recovery rates in small studies in France and Australia.   The S Koreans and Chinese have been using it, reportedly.    These are Malaria drugs that are cheap, 5 cents a pill maybe. 

Citing the French study below .  If you want the Aussie study, not hard to look it up

• Like 2

On 3/17/2020 at 10:00 PM, dachsie said:

Cases in the US have increased by 2000 since this morning

Million dollar question... is this due to the fact of more tests being available & administered or due to just more infected despite quarantine measures being used?

13 hours ago, watson said:

This thing is over.... hydrochloroquine and chloroquine have 100% recovery rates in small studies in France and Australia.   The S Koreans and Chinese have been using it, reportedly.    These are Malaria drugs that are cheap, 5 cents a pill maybe. 

Citing the French study below .  If you want the Aussie study, not hard to look it up

So we should stock up on & start drinking gin & tonic? ;p~

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Eq4bits said:

Million dollar question... is this due to the fact of more tests being available & administered or due to just more infected despite quarantine measures being used?

A combination of things. If you look, what we call quarantine and what the younger folks call it, that’s two different things.