Gameday Tigers

Coronavirus (non-sports related)

Nutriaitch

I enjoyed the article below about hydroxy chloroquine and some other drugs being looked at as possible treatments for corona virus.  The article looks factual and unbiased to me.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/22/why-trump-at-odds-with-medical-experts-over-malaria-drugs-against-covid-19/

I hope one of these drugs, or more than one, work to treat corona, since I am 67 with bad lungs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

I enjoyed the article below about hydroxy chloroquine and some other drugs being looked at as possible treatments for corona virus.  The article looks factual and unbiased to me.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/22/why-trump-at-odds-with-medical-experts-over-malaria-drugs-against-covid-19/

I hope one of these drugs, or more than one, work to treat corona, since I am 67 with bad lungs.

They have used this drug along with a second, commonly known as Z-Packs. 
Z-Packs also have been around a long time. The mixture ratio is being fine tuned. There is another drug, that is also showing promise. Oh, while in Mexico this past Jan. Z-Packs were around $2, per dosage of 3 pills. 
Take care folks. Here’s hope congress can get together. 

4 hours ago, COTiger said:

Thanks.  My question is an example of why I didn't major in math.

no problem sir.

small number dived by larger number.

if you want it to read like a batting average, leave the decimal where it is (would be .012)
if you want it to read like a percentage, move decimal over two spots to the right (which is 1.182%)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, fortunately I live JUST south of San Antonio proper.  Today SA was put on lock down starting tomorrow.  I guess that means I can go south. 

Seriously, I get it to a degree.  I had to go to Walgreens last week and they had blue tape near the registers every 6', and it said "stop here".  This friggin woman behind me pulled right up to my heels with her cart.  I mean, come on!  But that wasn't enough.  Soon her family of 6 showed up and crowded around her, one coughing her fool head off.  

I shoved a disinfecting wipe up both nostrils and down my throat when I got back in the truck. 

We were given a shelter in place order starting tomorrow.  We had to come up with a contingency plan for seeing emergency patients if we close down.  I will likely be on call and come in as needed.  But we are not there yet.  But no new patients except emergencies until May

25 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Seriously, I get it to a degree.  I had to go to Walgreens last week and they had blue tape near the registers every 6', and it said "stop here".  This friggin woman behind me pulled right up to my heels with her cart.  I mean, come on!  But that wasn't enough.  Soon her family of 6 showed up and crowded around her, one coughing her fool head off.  

Further proof that at least one is born every minute.

We will be down to 2-3 people going into my office at various times with most working remotely. If we didn't have the ability to work remotely, we would have to lay off people and/or shut the doors for good.  I'm not sure  how some businesses are going to survive. There may be some relief with businesses who have business interruption insurance assuming there is coverage under their policy language.  

39 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

There may be some relief with businesses who have business interruption insurance assuming there is coverage under their policy language.  

Business interruption coverage is for when there is physical damage to the place of business. 

FEMA is more likely gonna have to foot that bill. 

8 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Business interruption coverage is for when there is physical damage to the place of business. 

FEMA is more likely gonna have to foot that bill. 

My business policy does not necessarily require actual physical damage where the office is rendered unusable by "civil authorities" due to the potential presence of the virus in our building.  There is some authority for that theory of recovery:

Non-structural Property Damage 

While the coronavirus is not reported to have resulted in any permanent physical damage to property, it is transmitted either through the air or from touching infected surfaces. 

Thus, the virus can be present in buildings, airplanes, trains, watercraft and other enclosed spaces and on surfaces outdoors. 

In analogous circumstances, courts have found that the presence of harmful substances at or on a property can constitute “property damage” that triggers first party property coverage.   

In Gregory Packing, Inc. v. Travelers Property Cas. Co. of America, a federal court in New Jersey found in 2014 that covered property damage had occurred when ammonia was accidentally released into a facility, rendering the building unsafe until it could be aired out and cleaned. 

In reaching its decision, the court stated that “property can sustain physical damage without experiencing structural alteration.” Similar subsequent decisions in Oregon and New Hampshire have found property damage in the absence of structural damage.  

A strong argument can be made from this case law that property damage has occurred in places where the virus is present. 

New property damage can be introduced into an area by the same or additional infected people over time, which could strengthen the argument that places where large numbers of people congregate suffer ongoing property damage, no matter how long a single spore can survive there. 

https://riskandinsurance.com/business-interruption-coronavirus/

Obviously there are two sides to the issue so who knows if we could actually recover. My preference is for us to all continue working and there be no losss.

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

oh, and salaries were SLICED.

My BIL, who works in the oilfield,  was laid off yesterday.  Things were already bad around here with the oilfield being down.  This virus could really have a severely negative economic impact in Acadiana if we don't return to normal soon.

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

My BIL, who works in the oilfield,  was laid off yesterday.  Things were already bad around here with the oilfield being down.  This virus could really have a severely negative economic impact in Acadiana if we don't return to normal soon.

The oil layoffs are not strictly a result of corona.  Saudi and OPEC wanted to cut production after the China lockdown and falloff of demand.  They asked Russia to join them in production cuts, Russia said no.  So Saudi increased production, drove the price of oil DOWN.  Now, is Saudi attacking Russia, or are Saudi and Russia attacking the US since we are now the largest oil producer in the world since we learned to frack our shale fields?  Fracking costs more that Saudi oil to produce, so Saudi can't produce as much as the US, but it can produce it at lower cost.  I think the Saudi's are still making a profit at today's price, while the US frackers are losing money.  I have no inside connections, but I would like to hear what is going on in the phone calls between Saudi-Aramco and Exxon/Chevron, and Trump and MBS (Mohammed Bin Salman) and Putin.  Trump does not need this, widespread layoffs in the oil patch, not driven at least initially by coronavirus, although as we lockdown, demand is being destroyed in the US.

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

My BIL, who works in the oilfield,  was laid off yesterday.

That was my other option.

Salary drastically reduced (to be revisited in a month), or take a lay off.

22 minutes ago, houtiger said:

The oil layoffs are not strictly a result of corona. 

for the most part, this is correct.
In my particular case, it is very heavily influenced by corona. Jobs we had lined up in multiple states are now postponed indefinitely due to the "threat" of corona virus.

We are not a big enough company to survive at full staff for multiple months with zero jobs working.

i want each and every one of you to know that i consider you all friends.

it will be a miracle if i make it through this without going postal on someone.  This is all complete and total didley-poo at this point.

even at it's current pace of growth extrapolated out, it will years (plural, with an S at the end) to catch up to the death toll from seasonal flu.
Seasonal flu has both a vaccine and a treatment. 

YEARS!!!!!!!

on a planet of 7 Billion people, in almost 4 months, we have juuuuuuuuuuuuust equaled the death toll of a regular plain ass flu does to a country of only 330 million in 6 months.

and thanks to this shyte, my job is in jeopardy.
my money has been cut in half.

and now governor Honor Code also is no longer allowing me to light a small controlled fire in  my own backyardwithout first getting written permission from the local fire department.

Are you goddamn serious with this shyte?

In fornicating America, I can't go to work.
I can't invite my own family to my own house.
I can't light a fornicating fire during absolutely beautiful weather.

14 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

i want each and every one of you to know that i consider you all friends.

it will be a miracle if i make it through this without going postal on someone.  This is all complete and total didley-poo at this point.

even at it's current pace of growth extrapolated out, it will years (plural, with an S at the end) to catch up to the death toll from seasonal flu.
Seasonal flu has both a vaccine and a treatment. 

YEARS!!!!!!!

on a planet of 7 Billion people, in almost 4 months, we have juuuuuuuuuuuuust equaled the death toll of a regular plain ass flu does to a country of only 330 million in 6 months.

and thanks to this shyte, my job is in jeopardy.
my money has been cut in half.

and now governor Honor Code also is no longer allowing me to light a small controlled fire in  my own backyardwithout first getting written permission from the local fire department.

Are you goddamn serious with this shyte?

In fornicating America, I can't go to work.
I can't invite my own family to my own house.
I can't light a fornicating fire during absolutely beautiful weather.

I don't have a problem with you venting your frustrations here.  I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances.

What concerns me is what are the consequences if we ignore this disease or treat it like a cold?  I don't like that scenario.  I also don't think we any near to seeing the end of this pandemic.  I think it's going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better.

You and your family stay safe and be well.

12 minutes ago, COTiger said:

I don't have a problem with you venting your frustrations here.  I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances.

What concerns me is what are the consequences if we ignore this disease or treat it like a cold?  I don't like that scenario.  I also don't think we any near to seeing the end of this pandemic.  I think it's going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better.

You and your family stay safe and be well.

i don't mean this to be condescending in anyway, so I apologize if it comes off sounding that way.

turn off the news and look strictly at the numbers.
If the numbers they are giving us are accurate, this is not event the worst pandemic since the turn of the century.

Numbers don't have agendas.
Numbers don't have bias.
Numbers aren't running for office.
Numbers don't lie.

as of now, there are a total of 686 American Deaths.
Even if you assume that the first ever case of this was the first one reported on Jan 21 ( ridiculously unlikely that that was the first case here).

we are averaging 343 deaths per month in America. 
Sounds scary, right?

Seasonal flu averages comfortably over 1,000 American deaths per month.
That if you average out the total deaths across a full year rather than the eliminating the summer months when flu is non-existent.

if you narrow your timeframe down to the 6 months the flu is most active in northern hemisphere, and your average spike to closer to 2,000 per month.

that's right folks, in the regular average month of flu season, easily more than twice as many Americans (across  a MUCH wider demographic) dies than what this virus has claimed total in over two months.

numbers don't lie.

47 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

i don't mean this to be condescending in anyway, so I apologize if it comes off sounding that way.

turn off the news and look strictly at the numbers.
If the numbers they are giving us are accurate, this is not event the worst pandemic since the turn of the century.

Numbers don't have agendas.
Numbers don't have bias.
Numbers aren't running for office.
Numbers don't lie.

as of now, there are a total of 686 American Deaths.
Even if you assume that the first ever case of this was the first one reported on Jan 21 ( ridiculously unlikely that that was the first case here).

we are averaging 343 deaths per month in America. 
Sounds scary, right?

Seasonal flu averages comfortably over 1,000 American deaths per month.
That if you average out the total deaths across a full year rather than the eliminating the summer months when flu is non-existent.

if you narrow your timeframe down to the 6 months the flu is most active in northern hemisphere, and your average spike to closer to 2,000 per month.

that's right folks, in the regular average month of flu season, easily more than twice as many Americans (across  a MUCH wider demographic) dies than what this virus has claimed total in over two months.

numbers don't lie.

The truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle. 

Numbers don't tell the whole story, no matter where you're getting them. 

It'll be worse in some places than others... take NYC and NOLA.  Crowded places not knowing wtf was going on 6 weeks ago. 

The issue with this virus is the unknown.  There's no vaccine and we're just now learning both what to look for and how to treat it. 

I think some measures are way too drastic, while many are underestimating it.  I'm concerned about my parents because they seem to fall in the latter category, both with highly compromised immune systems. I worry about my boys not because they'll die from it but they show zero respect for it and no efforts to avoid exposure, yet they spend a lot of time with my parents. Helping them out doing stuff around their house is great, love em for that. But scared they'll get exposed hanging out with their friends and unknowingly bring it to my parent's house. They can't have that. 

• Like 2