Gameday Tigers

Coronavirus (non-sports related)

Nutriaitch

49 minutes ago, COTiger said:

I just looked at the corona virus web page.  The US leads the world in the number of cases and is fourth in the number of deaths.  China is fifth.  WTF??

Not hard to understand, NY is a major spot, they showed people still packed in the transit system. 

33 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Not hard to understand, NY is a major spot, they showed people still packed in the transit system. 

easier to understand than that. 

bullet in head =\= coronavirus death. 
so chinamen dying in record numbers has nothing to do with virus. 

and i’m only half joking. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

easier to understand than that. 

bullet in head =\= coronavirus death. 
so chinamen dying in record numbers has nothing to do with virus. 

and i’m only half joking. 

I’m talking the ramping up of people not following what needs to be done. I still see people together, planning get togethers, too many things with close contact. 

People doing the exact opposite of what should be done. Common sense is not that common anymore. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, COTiger said:

Are you just now realizing that? 

IconLOL.gif

Nope, but I’m getting more and more people to recognize it. 

Like I use to say, it don’t take all kinds to make a world, we just got all kinds.

I use to get engineers straight out of college, first job out of college. Had to change their way of thinking. At times they would go into panic mode, I’d explain, they want to hold your feet to the fire, then get you to say uncle. 

Edited by LSUDad

Still think this isn't political?

Maryland lawmakers urge release of racial data on virus

BALTIMORE (AP) — Maryland lawmakers have joined politicians nationwide in asking for the release of data on coronavirus cases by race in order to address potential disparities in the response to the outbreak.

Maryland Del. Nick Mosby called for such racial data to be made available in a series of social media posts Sunday. U.S. cities with large black and brown populations such as Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee and New Orleans have emerged as hot spots of the coronavirus outbreak.

The Baltimore Sun reports that more than half of the city’s population is black. Mosby’s call comes as U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren and U.S. Rep. Ayanna Pressley urged officials to ensure racial data was being collected.

• Like 3

Lost a good one:

Famed neurosurgeon Dr. James Goodrich, who separated conjoined twins, dies of coronavirus

NANCY CUTLER |ROCKLAND/WESTCHESTER JOURNAL NEWS| 9 hours ago

icon-sms_24.svg icon-facebook_24.svg icon-twitter_24.svg icon-mail_24.svg

477f7f6b-6893-4932-aa96-d07189e62c17-VPC_CORONAVIRUS_GOOGLE_SYMPTOMS_WIDE_vidblocks.jpg
We answer the often searched question: "What are the symptoms of coronavirus versus the flu?"
USA TODAY

Famed pediatric neurosurgeon Dr. James T. Goodrich, who separated conjoined twins, died Monday. 

Einstein College of Medicine in New York City attributed his death to complications associated with COVID-19. He was 73.

A pioneer in his field, Goodrich developed a special method to separate twins conjoined at the skull — employing a multi-stage approach to complete the delicate work. 

"Every neurosurgeon in America, maybe around the world, knew who Jim Goodrich is," said Dr. Jeffrey Oppenheim, a neurosurgeon and chair of the Rockland County Board of Health.

Dr. James Goodrich explains the surgery that separated conjoined twins Clarence and Carl Aguirre at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx in 2004. Goodrich died on March 30, 2020, from complications of COVID-19.
Dr. James Goodrich explains the surgery that separated conjoined twins Clarence and Carl Aguirre at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx in 2004. Goodrich died on March 30, 2020, from complications of COVID-19.
FRANK BECERRA JR./THE JOURNAL NEWS

In 2004, Goodrich made international headlines when he successfully separated twins Carl and Clarence Aguirre, who had come with their mother from the Philippines seeking help. The 17-hour surgery demanded a 16-member surgical team.

The surgery took months to plan, with multiple surgical steps taken before the final marathon surgery to separate the boys, who were fused at the top of their heads. Still, there was a surprise: a two-square-inch section of brain that was fused instead of being separated by a plane, as doctors had expected.

The on-the-fly solution was up to Goodrich. He patiently studied the tangle, turning the anesthetized boys as he examined the challenge. Then Goodrich found a way. A colleague after the operation called Goodrich's approach "elegant." 

In 2016, Goodrich was part of the team that separated Jadon and Anias McDonald, a procedure that took 27 hours.

Goodrich had consulted on hundreds of such cases worldwide.

Goodrich connected with his young patients, and had developed a dear relationship with the Aguirre boys. For their second birthday in April 2003, the neurosurgeon baked each a chocolate cake.

Clarence and Carl Aguirre are wheeled out of Montefiore Children's Hospital by Dr. James T. Goodrich, Arlene Aguire, Arlene's mom, Evelyn, and Dr. David Staffenberg. Aug. 30, 2004.  Goodrich died March 30, 2020, of complications from COVID-19.
Clarence and Carl Aguirre are wheeled out of Montefiore Children's Hospital by Dr. James T. Goodrich, Arlene Aguire, Arlene's mom, Evelyn, and Dr. David Staffenberg. Aug. 30, 2004. Goodrich died March 30, 2020, of complications from COVID-19.
FRANK BECERRA JR./THE JOURNAL NEWS

The Aguirre family remained in New York.

"We were profoundly saddened to learn of Dr. Goodrich’s passing," said Larry Levine, president and CEO of Blythedale Children's Hospital, where the Aguirre twins received post-surgery rehabilitation. "Jim served on our medical staff for more than 30 years, and treated children with incredibly complex medical needs."

Equally important to Goodrich's surgical skills, Levine said, was his bedside manner. "He was a brilliant surgeon, a dedicated teacher and a source of tremendous comfort to parents navigating uncharted territory."

Arlene Aguirre, the twins' mother, mourned Goodrich on Facebook.

"I am devastated, sad and very angry," she wrote. "We lost the greatest person in our lives because of the damn virus."

Clarence and Carl are now 17.

Their mother addressed Goodrich in her Facebook post: "I’m grateful and thankful for everything you’ve done to us especially for the boys Carl and Clarence. You gave me a greatest gift of seeing my boys separated and giving them a whole new lives. We will never forget you and you will always be part of our lives." 

Goodrich's fame in the medical community went beyond his surgical prowess. Goodrich was an expert on medical history and had an impressive collection of rare medical books.

"He was truly a Renaissance man," Oppenheim said.

Dr. James T. Goodrich
Dr. James T. Goodrich
COURTESY/MONTEFIORE MEDICAL SYSTEM

Oppenheim called the loss of Goodrich from COVID-19 painful.

"It gives you the sense of the human cost of what's coming because this disease," Oppenheim said.

Goodrich served as director of the Division of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Montefiore and was a professor of neurological surgery in pediatric, plastic and reconstructive surgery at Einstein, a top medical school and research institution. 

A veteran of the U.S. Marines, Goodrich served in the Vietnam War. 

He is survived by his wife and three sisters, Montefiore said.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

Still think this isn't political?

Maryland lawmakers urge release of racial data on virus

That is someone definitely making it political.  IF there is a higher rate in blacks its because they are not following the guidelines and are still getting together.

And today we jumped 1000 deaths in 24 hours.  That is staggering

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

That is someone definitely making it political.  IF there is a higher rate in blacks its because they are not following the guidelines and are still getting together.

it will be because more blacks are concentrated in high population centers.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

And today we jumped 1000 deaths in 24 hours.  That is staggering

something must be wrong with the data coming out of Louisiana.  To the point that it is becoming more and more believable that the numbers are being "cooked"

why is our death rate so much higher than the US average?why is our death rate still climbing when it's declining on entire rest of the planet?

Washington State, I understand.  They were the first outbreak and death rate skyrocketed before anyone knew what to do.  They are just now catching up and rate is dropping.

Vermont, I understand. With such a low total case number, only a couple deaths can really skew a percentage.

Louisiana? We're more than a full percent higher than the next highest state with 1,000+ cases (excluding Washington for the reason listed above, yet we still have them beat by roughly half a percent.)  

Are we really worse (in Louisiana) than they are in countries/territories like:
Puerto Rico
Romania
Ecuador
Dominican Republic
Peru
Panama
Mexico

Seriously?

I just took a good friend to the Airport this morning,  he’s flying out soon. He’s an emergency room Dr. He’s had 10 cases, all but one recovered. The one, had way too many problems. Partial lung removal, over 70, heavy smoker into his 60’s. All others have recovered well. 
Hope he has a safe flight. 

First Power 5 school announces pay reduction for coaches, staff in 2020

SDS Staff | 3 hours ago

Unfortunately, there may be more that joins this list before it’s over.

In a move prompted by missing the Big 12 basketball tournament and the NCAA Tournament, Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard announced that the school will implement a 1-year temporary pay reductionfor coaches and certain staff members.

Along with pay reduction, Pollard also announced 5 other points of action:

• A one-year, temporary suspension of all bonuses/incentives for all coaches. This decision will save the department $1M.
  • Delaying (from January 2021 to January 2022) a previously announced increase in Cyclone Club annual giving levels. The delay will save donors approximately $2.5M for required seating donations.
  • A freeze on season / individual game ticket prices for all sports.
  • An extension to the deadline for this year’s Cyclone Club donations and football season ticket renewals to May 29, 2020.
  • Providing multiple payment options for season tickets and donations. Those required payments can be made monthly, quarterly or semi-annually.

“These actions will help us address the $5 million shortfall that we face with the cancellation of the NCAA and Big 12 Men’s Basketball Tournaments,” Pollard wrote. “We can now turn our attention to solving many other issues in the coming months.

“It was also important to us to provide our loyal ticket holders and donors some relief in regard to ticket prices and donations.”

Ellis Marsalis, jazz master and musical family patriarch, dies at 85

Marsalis had been hospitalized and tested for COVID-19, according to a family member

LOCAL

14 minutes ago

Author:Dominic Massa / WWL-TV
Published:8:23 PM CDT April 1, 2020
Updated:10:19 PM CDT April 1, 2020

NEW ORLEANS — Ellis Marsalis Jr., the patriarch of a New Orleans musical family, known for his brand of modern jazz as well as for educating generations of musicians as a teacher, has died, according to a family member.  He was 85.

Marsalis had been hospitalized and was tested for coronavirus, but the result was not available Wednesday, the family member told WWL-TV anchor Eric Paulsen.

In a statement Wednesday, New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell said the city lost a legend when Marsalis died.

"He was the prototype of what we mean when we talk about New Orleans jazz," Cantrell said. "He was a teacher, a father, and an icon — and words aren’t sufficient to describe the art, the joy and the wonder he showed the world. This loss cuts us deeply."

Marsalis is the father of internationally-known jazz musicians Branford (the saxophonist, who led Jay Leno's band on The Tonight Show), Wynton (trumpeter and artistic director of Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York), Delfeayo (trombonist, a record producer and performer) and Jason Marsalis (a drummer).

Two other sons, Ellis III, a photographer-poet, and Mboya, did not follow their father into music.

In December, Marsalis retired from his regular gig at Snug Harbor, where he had performed each week for more than 30 years. But he vowed to return as a special guest, accompanying other performers, including son Jason.

In addition to his own musical career, Marsalis was well-respected as a jazz educator at the University of New Orleans, Xavier University and the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts.

"We looked at it as a way of helping students to make decisions in high school as to whether or not they wanted to be serious about music for further studies," he said of his work at NOCCA in a January 2020 interview with WWL-TV reporter Paul Murphy.

RIP Ellis Marsalis. I had the honor and pleasure to interview him in January after he announced he was retiring from his weekly gig at Snug Harbor. He was a great musician, cultural ambassador for New Orleans and passionate teacher. A huge loss for the city. He will he missed.

Embedded video

Marsalis' many prominent students over the years included Harry Connick Jr., Terence Blanchard, Donald Harrison Jr., Nicholas Payton, Kent and Marlon Jordan and Irvin Mayfield, plus the four of his sons who became professional musicians.

Marsalis’s career as a teacher began in the 1970s. He first became an adjunct professor at Xavier, where he taught classes in African American music and jazz improvisation. He left New Orleans in the 1980s for a teaching job at Virginia Commonwealth University but returned to launch UNO's Jazz Studies program in 1989. Marsalis retired from teaching at UNO in 2001.

In a WWL-TV interview in January, he said it was vitally important to teach students, even those from New Orleans who grew up around the music.

"People in the city of New Orleans always thought that music was some kind of natural thing like the rain. When the rain comes, it wets the grass and the grass grows, you don’t have to do anything. That's not necessarily the case," he said.

A New Orleans native, his father operated a hotel where Marsalis met touring black musicians who could not stay at the segregated downtown hotels where they performed. He played clarinet and saxophone in high school but was also playing piano by the time he went to Dillard University.

When asked in January what he most liked about performing, Marsalis said, "I don't know that I could pick what I like most about it. There's a sharing that occurs when performing with a group."

Although New Orleans was steeped in traditional jazz, and rock 'n' roll was the new sound in the city's studios in the 1950s, Marsalis preferred bebop and modern jazz. His college quartet included drummer Ed Blackwell, clarinetist Alvin Batiste and saxophonist Harold Battiste playing modern jazz.

In the 1960s, Marsalis was part of the house band at the Playboy Club in the French Quarter, before joining trumpeter Al Hirt’s band, then Bob French’s Storyville Jazz Band. During that period, he recorded with national musicians Cannonball, Nat Adderley, Ed Blackwell and others. 

In 2007, Marsalis received an honorary doctorate from Tulane University. The next year he was inducted into the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame.

Following Hurricane Katrina, Harry Connick Jr. and Branford Marsalis led an effort to raise money to build the Ellis Marsalis Center for Music at Habitat for Humanity's Musicians' Village in the Ninth Ward.

10 hours ago, LSUDad said:

First Power 5 school announces pay reduction for coaches, staff in 2020

SDS Staff | 3 hours ago

Unfortunately, there may be more that joins this list before it’s over.

In a move prompted by missing the Big 12 basketball tournament and the NCAA Tournament, Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard announced that the school will implement a 1-year temporary pay reductionfor coaches and certain staff members.

Along with pay reduction, Pollard also announced 5 other points of action:

• A one-year, temporary suspension of all bonuses/incentives for all coaches. This decision will save the department $1M.
  • Delaying (from January 2021 to January 2022) a previously announced increase in Cyclone Club annual giving levels. The delay will save donors approximately $2.5M for required seating donations.
  • A freeze on season / individual game ticket prices for all sports.
  • An extension to the deadline for this year’s Cyclone Club donations and football season ticket renewals to May 29, 2020.
  • Providing multiple payment options for season tickets and donations. Those required payments can be made monthly, quarterly or semi-annually.

“These actions will help us address the $5 million shortfall that we face with the cancellation of the NCAA and Big 12 Men’s Basketball Tournaments,” Pollard wrote. “We can now turn our attention to solving many other issues in the coming months.

“It was also important to us to provide our loyal ticket holders and donors some relief in regard to ticket prices and donations.”

I'm sure this is just goldenshower poor wording, but why only some staff and not others?

On 3/31/2020 at 1:37 PM, COTiger said:

I just looked at the corona virus web page.  The US leads the world in the number of cases and is fourth in the number of deaths.  China is fifth.  WTF??

You really think China reported *real* numbers? Also note that 21M previously active cell phones in China are no longer active.... i read this on a usually trustworthy site but I have CRS & dont remember where or I’d post link

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 9:41 AM, Nutriaitch said:

something must be wrong with the data coming out of Louisiana.  To the point that it is becoming more and more believable that the numbers are being "cooked"

why is our death rate so much higher than the US average?why is our death rate still climbing when it's declining on entire rest of the planet?

Washington State, I understand.  They were the first outbreak and death rate skyrocketed before anyone knew what to do.  They are just now catching up and rate is dropping.

Vermont, I understand. With such a low total case number, only a couple deaths can really skew a percentage.

Louisiana? We're more than a full percent higher than the next highest state with 1,000+ cases (excluding Washington for the reason listed above, yet we still have them beat by roughly half a percent.)  

Are we really worse (in Louisiana) than they are in countries/territories like:
Puerto Rico
Romania
Ecuador
Dominican Republic
Peru
Panama
Mexico

Seriously?

I’m gonna help you with your numbers. 

There's a big spike in Louisiana case numbers for the Wuhan coronavirus today, but it isn't evidence of a worsening spread - it's from poor recordkeeping. https://thehayride.com/2020/04/about-that-spike-in-louisianas-coronavirus-numbers-today/

• Like 1

China certainly is cooking the numbers to save face and try to look superior to the rest of the world.  Also when you have videos from China with folks just dropping in the streets, it’s bad.  

Italy might have another issue, just playing catch up and priorities are triage and care... not exactly worrying about the numbers.   The USA is still pretty bad, but reporting accurate numbers is vital to decisions and transparency.   Also the USA has an efficient way to report those numbers.

Anyway, of course China is cooking the books.  

• Like 1