Gameday Tigers

Coronavirus (non-sports related)

Nutriaitch

9 minutes ago, watson said:

China certainly is cooking the numbers to save face and try to look superior to the rest of the world.  Also when you have videos from China with folks just dropping in the streets, it’s bad.  

Italy might have another issue, just playing catch up and priorities are triage and care... not exactly worrying about the numbers.   The USA is still pretty bad, but reporting accurate numbers is vital to decisions and transparency.   Also the USA has an efficient way to report those numbers.

Anyway, of course China is cooking the books.  

note: the following info is my understanding of the way some info is being collected

problem seems to be that we are just reporting anyone with multiple health issues as corona deaths.
which is simply not accurate.

when all other health related death rates drop, something is amiss.
example: if heart disease rates suddenly plummet, while corona rises, chances are at least some of those corona deaths are actually heart disease deaths that most likely would have still happened even without corona.

problem is that those types (which actually seem to be the majority) are nearly impossible to calculate in real time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

note: the following info is my understanding of the way some info is being collected

problem seems to be that we are just reporting anyone with multiple health issues as corona deaths.
which is simply not accurate.

when all other health related death rates drop, something is amiss.
example: if heart disease rates suddenly plummet, while corona rises, chances are at least some of those corona deaths are actually heart disease deaths that most likely would have still happened even without corona.

problem is that those types (which actually seem to be the majority) are nearly impossible to calculate in real time.

Yeah... this is Similar to dementia or Alzheimer’s, they were not the actual cause of death, but certainly contributed to the death.   Still corona has interjected itself and accelerated death in these people.   

Statically, this has to be monitored, planned or whatever since this is like a Katrina, Rita hurricane situation... more sells in dry wall or refrigerators for a specific event and not due to “normal conditions”.   Whatever normal is these days. 

16 minutes ago, watson said:

Still corona has interjected itself and accelerated death in these people.   

maybe.

we don't really know.  and by automatically attributing EVERYTHING to it skews the living hell out of the numbers.

people with underlying conditions have always been more susceptible to other illnesses.  and those illnesses pretty much play a part in their deaths.
but typically, we still count the original illness as what kills them. not the secondary illness.

example. immunodeficient patients (HIV, AIDs, Lupus, etc). very rarely are those disease the actual killer.
its usually pneumonia or some other infection that actually kills them. 
but cause of death is almost always listed as the disease and not the secondary.
why? because their underlying condition weakened them to a state that did not allow them to fight off the secondary.

now, for some reason with this virus we're going in the exact opposite direction of everything we have ever done.
i'm half convinced that if you get shot in the head but tested positive, you'll be counted as a corona death instead of a murder victim.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

maybe.

we don't really know.  and by automatically attributing EVERYTHING to it skews the living hell out of the numbers.

people with underlying conditions have always been more susceptible to other illnesses.  and those illnesses pretty much play a part in their deaths.
but typically, we still count the original illness as what kills them. not the secondary illness.

example. immunodeficient patients (HIV, AIDs, Lupus, etc). very rarely are those disease the actual killer.
its usually pneumonia or some other infection that actually kills them. 
but cause of death is almost always listed as the disease and not the secondary.
why? because their underlying condition weakened them to a state that did not allow them to fight off the secondary.

now, for some reason with this virus we're going in the exact opposite direction of everything we have ever done.
i'm half convinced that if you get shot in the head but tested positive, you'll be counted as a corona death instead of a murder victim.

Totally get what you are saying, but corona is actually killing people whether or not they have secondary issues by attacking the lungs as the major “target”.  

Edited by watson

Frankly, it doesn’t matter if there are 50 deaths or 5000 deaths, we still need to slow the rate of infection down. The sooner we do that, the sooner we can get back to our lives. If people continue to defy social distancing, this will be prolonged. And I am getting tired of it like you all are. I want this to be over sooner rather than later

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, watson said:

Totally get what you are saying, but corona is actually killing people whether or not they have secondary issues by attacking the lungs as the major “target”.  

oh, i agree that it is.

but we don't know how many it is killing. And realistically, we won't know until somewhere down the road.

you would have to look at long term averages per month of your typical health related deaths.

example (these are completely made up numbers)

Heart Disease - 1,500
Diabetes - 1,000
Auto-Immune - 2,500
Respiratory issues - 3,000

lets just say the above is the average month. that's 8,000 deaths.
if this month there are 9,000 deaths it's not because

CoronaVirus - 7,300
Heart Disease - 500
Diabete - 350
Auto Immune -425
Respiratory - 425

more likely it will be something closer along the lines of:
Corona - 1,000
Heart - 1,500
Diabetes - 1,000
Auto-Immune -2,500
Respiratory - 3,000

Those other issues didn't suddenly stop killing people. 
But yet we have now completely suspended reporting those other deaths, and are automatically attributing anyone who tests positive (even if asymptomatic) as a corona death.

Which simply is not an accurate way to keep score.

One of the above looks like the 2nd coming of Black Death that wiped out half of Europe. Which we already know isn't going to happen.  
The other looks like a medical issue that does need attention. Some measures and precautions do need to be taken (especially for older people or those with other medical issues). But this can be handled without crashing an entire planet's economy. Just like literally every other pandemic in the history of modern medicine.

45 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Frankly, it doesn’t matter if there are 50 deaths or 5000 deaths 

oh, that absolutely matters.
the death toll is what is driving every single decision right now. 

If there was only 50 deaths, you never would have even heard of this thing. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 7:34 AM, dachsie said:

That is someone definitely making it political.  IF there is a higher rate in blacks its because they are not following the guidelines and are still getting together.

And today we jumped 1000 deaths in 24 hours.  That is staggering

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

going public with sensitive military info will get you canned every single time. 

To send this out to 30-40 people. What did he think would happen? He exercised poor judgment, enough to where his command came into play. 

Some things were done in the previous administration, add to some of the problems they are facing within the services. 

3 hours ago, COTiger said:

What more is there to reveal?  He used extremely poor judgement and got canned for it.  End of story.

They are now saying he had talked with his Superiors days before. Did not give a notice of any onboard issues. 

7 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

They are now saying he had talked with his Superiors days before. Did not give a notice of any onboard issues. 

Who are they?  Everything I've read said he violated the chain of command which is a no no for an O-6 commanding an aircraft carrier.

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

the contradicting, and the ignorance coming from Governor Honor Code pressers is fornicating ridiculous. 

and most of this state are following blindly. 

prepare for this to last through June at a minimum. 

just getting to a computer to expound on this.
no links, this is what i heard whimsy in his presser (paraphrasing).

Gov: Best way to combat this is with the social distancing enacted by me.
Gov: Parish with most cases of COVID-19 = Orleans
Gov: Parish with best grade for social distancing measure= Orleans, they get an A grade.

So, the best way to beat this is social distancing. But the best parish at social distancing is far and away the worst in the state for number of cases (and among worst in Nation for cases per capita)? 
Seriously?  Did you even read these remarks before just spewing them in front of the whole state?

Gov: We need at least 2 full weeks before we can see results of these actions in the models, and we aren't there yet time wise.
Gov: We aren't seeing the results we want yet, so measures will need to get stricter with harsher penalties.

For real? You yourself admit we aren't deep enough to see results yet. Then you say the results we see aren't good enough.
Which is it, no results, or bad results? Because they can't both be true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, COTiger said:

Who are they?  Everything I've read said he violated the chain of command which is a no no for an O-6 commanding an aircraft carrier.

Dagen McDowell read a statement today, mirroring what I typed. I looked to see if I could find anything, but will look to see if I can find a video with her statement. 

Edited by LSUDad

8 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Dagen McDowell read a statement today, masking what I typed. I looked to see if I could find anything, but will look to see if I can find a video with her statement. 

I wonder how much some one whose claim to fame is the Fox Business Network knows about military discipline and the chain of command?

Exxon's Baytown, Texas, refinery to shut gasoline unit by early next week: sources

Photo
FILE PHOTO: A view of the Exxon Mobil refinery in Baytown, Texas, September 15, 2008. 
REUTERS/JESSICA RINALDI

(Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp plans to shut the small gasoline-producing unit at its 560,500 barrels-per-day (bpd) Baytown, Texas, refinery by early next week because of low demand due to efforts to halt the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. 

The shutdown of the 90,000 bpd gasoline-producing fluidic catalytic cracker 2 (FCC 2) could happen as early as this weekend, sources said. 

Exxon spokesman Jeremy Eikenberry said operations were continuing at the Baytown refinery, but declined to discuss the status of specific units.

ADVERTISEMENT

The shutdown would mean all three of Exxon's U.S. Gulf Coast refineries have reduced production.

Crude oil intake was reduced by 60,000 bpd at the company's 502,500 bpd Baton Rouge, Louisiana, refinery, sources familiar with operations at that plant told Reuters.

Exxon's 369,024 barrel-per-day Beaumont, Texas, refinery began a planned overhaul with the shutdown of the 240,000 bpd crude distillation unit (CDU) on Monday.

Jamie Howard, former LSU Player. Some might remember, Jamie lost his wife in Sept. of 2018, from Cancer. 

Former LSU QB Jamie Howard shares coronavirus experience; reveals son also tested positive

SDS Staff | 4 hours ago

Former LSU QB Jamie Howard was skeptical of the early COVID-19 pandemic measures. Then he caught the coronavirus.

“I think everyone needs to know this is a very serious thing,” Howard recently told Kevin Foote of The Advocate. “When it’s all said and done, I think a lot of us, maybe half of us, are going to be exposed to it at some point. I think we’re all just reacting differently to it.

00:05
03:44

00:04

“You don’t want people scared to see you or anything, but people need to know how serious this is. This is like the flu on steroids. Then you add the respiratory issue with it; it’s no joke at all.”

“I honestly thought this was overblown,” he also revealed in the interview. “I thought it was terrible. I thought we were shutting down the country for no reason. I definitely learned the hard way that this is very serious. I admit I was one of the ones thinking this was way overblown.”

In the interview, Howard shared his timeline of beginning to feel symptoms (fever, dry cough, “weird feeling” in lungs) on March 21. That same day, he lost his sense of taste and smell. He said only Friday was, after roughly 10 days, that he “finally started to feel close to normal again.”

“On a scale when you look at a lot of friends who have it or had it, mine is probably a little worse because of the respiratory side of it, because I ended up developing pneumonia,” Jamie said. “I had a substantial amount of fluid on my lungs from it.

“If you have any issues or your immune system is down, this is definitely a very scary situation.”

Jamie’s son Walker also tested positive for the virus. The St. Thomas Moore class of 2022 dual-threat quarterback is rated 4-stars by 247Sports. Walker’s nine scholarship offers include LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi State and Texas A&M. Jamie had good news and bad news on his son.

“He’s fine,” Jamie said of Howard, also telling Foote that his son “isn’t feeling any symptoms at all.”

Walker’s plans, however, have been disrupted.

“We had a lot of trips planned to go to different schools for their spring practices,” Jamie said. “We were going to get on the road together and see some different places.

“It’s affecting everything. Hopefully, this season will happen this fall and everything will get back to normal.”