Gameday Tigers

LSU Recruiting, Good For A Long Time

LSUDad

The way recruits view LSU football is why Tigers will be good for a long time

2584fa0c7945d9e9c460744eec40f904?s=44&d=mm&r=gby Zach Ragan13h ago

LSU football is on the verge of being a dominant college football program on a yearly basis.

There are two key ingredients that a college football program needs to be dominant, and LSU football has both of those ingredients.

Great coaching and elite recruiting.

Tigers head coach Ed Orgeron has put together a staff of coaches that knows how to get the most out of talented players. They know how to develop players at the highest level (The 16 combine invitations for former Tigers earlier this year is proof).

And LSU’s staff also knows how to recruit at an elite level. The Tigers finished with back-to-back top five classes during the 2019 and 2020 recruiting cycles.

That recruiting success is a direct result of the incredible culture that Coach O has built in Baton Rouge.

It’s not like the culture was broken at LSU when Orgeron took over as the Tigers’ head coach midway through the 2016 season. Far from it. Les Miles is a legendary head coach, but the program wasn’t where it needed to be, either.

Coach O’s deep connection to Louisiana, combined with his tremendous ability to connect with recruits and develop football players, has turned LSU’s football program into a juggernaut.

And recruits have taken notice.

2022 outside linebacker Harold Perkins, a New Orleans native, recently received an offer from Orgeron and the Tigers.

Perkins told Rivals what makes LSU so attractive is that “boys become men and can get a good education at LSU”.

The unrated recruit was quick to add “I guess it helps that they are pretty good at winning games as well”.

When you hear recruits say things like that, it’s impossible to not think that LSU is going to be the king of the SEC for a long time to come.

I think there was a changing of the guard in the SEC last season. We saw LSU overtake Alabama as the premier program in the SEC. That’s not to say that Alabama isn’t Alabama anymore. They’re still going to compete for national championships on a yearly basis. But now they have some company in that regard. The Tigers are right there with the Crimson Tide.

If LSU can win another SEC championship in 2020 — without Joe Burrow and Joe Brady — then I think we’ll see the rest of the country embrace the Tigers as the new standard in college football.

It sounds like recruits are already embracing that standard.

• Like 1

A coach that I'm impressed with, but I could not pick him out of a lineup, is Bill Busch, the safeties coach.  Often I see his name as one of the recruiters bringing in top names to LSU.    Bill Busch spent one year at Ohio State.  When Burrow decided to transfer, O asked Busch what he thought about Joe, Busch said "if you get him to LSU, you will win a national championship".  He was right about that.  I think I heard O say that in an interview when they asked him about the recruitment of Joe.  O said after that statement, he recruited his ass off to get Joe to come to LSU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

How LSU football has the best recruiting tool in the nation during shutdown

by Zach Ragan2 hours agoFollow @zachTN

LSU football is set to have a big week at the 2020 NFL Draft.

LSU football, along with every other program in the nation, is using the coronavirus shutdown to focus on recruiting.

Visits are a no go for recruits through at least May 31, but coaches can still talk to prospects via phone/text message/video chat. And you can best believe that every coaching staff in the country is taking advantage of the downtime to communicate as often as possible with recruits, which can make it tough for a program to gain an edge in recruiting.

Unless that program happens to be LSU.

The Tigers are going to be able deploy the best recruiting tool in the nation this week….and they won’t have to make a single phone call to do it.

That’s because the 2020 NFL Draft starts on Thursday and LSU is going to dominate it.

Recent mock drafts have five LSU players going in the first round (Joe Burrow, K’Lavon Chaisson, Justin Jefferson, Patrick Queen and Kristian Fulton).

There could be an additional four LSU players selected in the second round (Grant Delpit, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Lloyd Cushenberry, Damien Lewis).Buy Now!

If the Tigers have nine players selected in the first two rounds, it would mean 14 percent of the players selected in the first two rounds would be former LSU players.

And those aren’t the only former Tigers expected to be drafted, either.

Rashard Lawrence, Saahdiq Charles, Thaddeus Moss, Jacob Phillips, Blake Ferguson, Michael Divinity and Stephen Sullivan should also hear their names called at some point during the draft.

In all, it’s expected that 16 former LSU players will be drafted. That would shatter the previous record of SEC players from one program being selected in the same draft (Alabama set the current SEC record with 12 selections in 2018). It would also break the overall record of 14, which is currently held by Ohio State (set in 2004).

There’s going to be a lot of attention on LSU during the draft. And that will absolutely help with recruiting.

Not only will it show recruits that LSU can get them to the next level, it will also signal that there are some early playing time opportunities in Baton Rouge if they choose to sign with the defending national champions.

• Like 1