Gameday Tigers

Another Transfer QB Commeth?

Hatchertiger

From DandyDon this am. O has connections in Cali. We have a spot. Maybe?????

Coach Ed Orgeron struck it big in 2018 by nabbing a game-changer of a quarterback (Joe Burrow) from the transfer portal. Might he do it again? That’s a question one can’t help but ask now that former five-star quarterback JD Daniels has entered the transfer portal. Daniels came out of Mater Dei High School (Santa Ana, Ca.) in 2018 as the No. 2 pro style quarterback in the country (behind Trevor Lawrence). He earned the starting job as USC’s quarterback as a freshman and again in 2019 before suffering a season-ending injury in the Trojans’ opener last year. Seeing his name in the transfer portal is shocking, to say the least.

Under current transfer rules, Daniels would have to sit out a year before being eligible at another D1 school. But, the NCAA will be voting next month on issuing a one-year waiver that would allow immediate eligibility for students transferring for the first time. Either way, with Daniels having three years of eligibility remaining, I would be shocked if Coach Ed Orgeron hasn’t already reached out to his Southern Cal connections about the possibility of luring him to Baton Rouge. LSU still has two spots open in its 2020 signing class, one of which is likely to be filled by DL/OL CamRon Lewis if he is able to qualify.

Interesting dilemma, but he can't play this season if he comes.  I thought we may be uncomfortable sending in a true frosh if Myles was injured.  That could cost us a game or two.  I have read it is most likely that he stays at USC.  Not sure what is going on, maybe he really disapproves of the coaching and offense?

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

Interesting dilemma, but he can't play this season if he comes.  I thought we may be uncomfortable sending in a true frosh if Myles was injured.  That could cost us a game or two.  I have read it is most likely that he stays at USC.  Not sure what is going on, maybe he really disapproves of the coaching and offense?

don't know anything about this kid one way or another.

but since this whole portal thing, we've seen multiple kids go in and out without ever leaving their original school. 
and who only knows why when talking about 19-22 year olds.

• 1 month later...