Gameday Tigers

LSU Football, Show Me The Money!

LSUDad

Despite losing two coordinators, LSU will pay its coaches far more in 2020 than 2019

By Zach Barnett - 
 April 22, 2020

EdOrgeronLSU.jpg?zoom=2&resize=355%2C237

LSU is continuing to pass out the spoils of victory, as the defending national champions confirmed a series of raises for Ed Orgeron’s assistants.

As first reported by The Athletic‘s Brody Miller and The Advocate‘s Brooks Kubena, offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger earned a raise from $800,000 to $1 million, with a contract extension through 2022.

Safeties coach Bill Busch and offensive line coach James Cregg received raises and extensions through the 2021 season.

Those raises complete the compensation structure for LSU’s 2020 staff, which saw Bo Pelini replace Dave Aranda as defensive coordinator, Scott Linehan replace Joe Brady as passing game coordinator, Kevin Faulk get promoted from the off-field staff to running backs coach to replace Tommie Robinson, and Bill Johnson replace Dennis Johnson as LSU’s full-time defensive line coach.

Combined with Ed Orgeron’s raisefrom $4 to $6 million and Bo Pelini’s massive salary as defensive coordinator, LSU will pay an additional $2.93 million to its 11 on-the-field coaches compared to what it paid in 2020. This is despite the fact Aranda was the highest-paid assistant in college football, and Robinson the highest-paid running backs coach.

Even removing Orgeron’s $2 million raise still nets a $932,500 increase for LSU’s assistant coaches.

Coach 2019 Salary 2020 Salary Change
Ed Orgeron (HC) $4 million $6 million $2 million (50%)
Bo Pelini (DC) $2.5 million* $2.3 million -$200,000 (-8%)
Steve Ensminger (OC) $800,000 $1 million $200,000 (25%)
Scott Linehan (PGC) $410,000* $807,000 $397,000 (97%)
James Cregg (OL) $485,000 $657,000 $172,000 (35%)
Corey Raymond (CBs/RC) $460,000 $582,000 $122,000 (27%)
Bill Johnson (DL) $210,000+ $578,500 $368,500 (175%)
Bill Busch (S) $435,000 $457,000 $22,000 (5%)
Greg McMahon (STs) $435,000 $432,000 -$3,000 (-0.7%)
Mickey Joseph (WRs/Asst. HC) $310,000 $407,000 $97,000 (31%)
Kevin Faulk (RBs) $600,000* $357,000 -$243,000 (-41%)
Total $10.645 million $13.5775 million $2.9325 million (28%)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Why did Faulk lose so much?

He came in new, replaced Tommy Robinson.  He got a big raise from his previous position, and will get raises going forward.  I would much rather Faulk than Robinson, from an external point of view, never met either one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

Faulk will do so much better, he will get his man. Not far removed from playing in the Pros. 

I hope he does a better job with Chris Curry.  Chris may not deserve the lead back role, but he deserves some carries.  Against InbredGumps, we ran 40 times (clyde x 20, burrow x 14, TDP x 3), and joe was 31 out of 39 passing, pretty good balance.  You could even that out a bit next year, TDP x 18, Emery x 12, Curry x 10.  Move up or down from those numbers based on performance in the last game.  Then we've got a true frosh RB coming in, see what he can do.  O didn't renew Robinson's contract, and he was an Orgeron man, brought over from USC I think.  O must not have liked everything he saw.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 1:13 PM, LSUDad said:

Faulk will do so much better, he will get his man. Not far removed from playing in the Pros.

The RB that gave the verbal, Corey Kiner, said, Kevin Faulk was big in getting his verbal. Once Faulk locks on a kid, he will get his man. Kiner’s offer list is major. 
Kiner has never stepped on campus. Faulk did a virtual tour of campus, sold him. 
Kiner also said that once folks started to explain exactly who Faulk was, he started looking up getting more information on his future RB Coach. 
Michigan, Ohio St, Fla, aTm and a ton more had him as their top RB on their boards. 

Too add, we will sign one more RB in this class. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

, Corey Kiner, said, Kevin Faulk was big in getting his verbal.

Yes once his dad let him know who Kevin really was:

Faulk made a visit to Cincinnati to see Kiner before the coronavirus outbreak. He made no mention of his personal LSU records or his Super Bowl past.

"I didn't realize it was him until my Dad mentioned it to me," Kiner said. "He was like, 'That's Kevin Faulk!' I'm like, yeah that's Kevin Faulk. He was like,'No that's Kevin Faulk!'"

A quick trip to Google gave Kiner a quick education on Faulk's Super Bowl rings.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2020/05/11/lsu-football-recruiting-news-cincinnati-high-school-running-back-corey-kiner-picks-lsu/3102655001/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had missed on our top RB recruit for a few years, going back to Cam Akers who went to FSU.  Then we tried to haul in Travis Etienne, but he had already committed to Clemson.  Then we signed Clyde Edwards-Helaire.  It ended up working out well for our Tigers, better than I could have hoped for.  I thought the new offense would work better for CEH, but his production in the new offense far exceeded my expectation.  I thought JaMarr Chase was going to improve to his soph season, and he improved far more than I hoped for.  I thought Burrow would be better his second year as a starter, and he improved far beyond my expectation. 

But, back to running back recruiting, it looks like LSU signed their top choice early.  It's very nice to see that.  Yes, Kevin Faulk has good credentials, young players have to respect that.  O continues to improve the coaching staff, I think.  That seems hard after a nat. championship season, but with the exception of losing Joe Brady, O is doing well.  Pelini in for Aranda, Linehan in for Brady, and Faulk in for Robinson.  I think Pelini will be a wash with Aranda, both very good, just different styles.  Linehan, I hope he's a wash with Brady.  Faulk looks like an upgrade, as Dad has said, he got his man already!  That was quick!

Geaux Tigers!