Gameday Tigers

OL Transfer

LSUDad

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/fball/2019-20/bios/shanahan_liam_8vop

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/fball/2018-19/bios/shanahan_liam_dwr9

2019 FCS Kickoff Countdown: 61 Days, The Best Player Who Wears No. 61 Is Harvard's Liam Shanahan

The offensive lineman earned All-Ivy League Second Team honors last year.

• Twitter
  • singlepost_fbicon.png
  • Google+
  • Email This Post
  • More
  • Facebook Comment
2019 FCS Kickoff Countdown: 61 Days, The Best Player Who Wears No. 61 Is Harvard's Liam Shanahan

Harvard Athletics

clock.jpg Published on June 24, 2019 at 10:24 AM EDT

clock.jpg Updated on June 24, 2019 at 11:28 AM EDT

Welcome to the 2019 FCS Kickoff Jersey Countdown.  

The regular season begins Saturday, Aug. 24 with Samford vs. Youngstown State in the Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff along with Villanova playing at Colgate.

MORE FCS FOOTBALL:

HERO Sports is going to count down each day by highlighting the best player in the FCS who wears the jersey number equal to the number of days until kickoff. You can find the running list of top players here.

*Note: Jersey numbers are from the 2018 season.

61: Liam Shanahan, OL (Sr.) -- Harvard

Shanahan enters his third year as a starter for Harvard, playing guard in 2017 and tackle last year. At 6-foot-5 and 270 pounds, he's a tremendous athlete with a basketball background in high school. Shanahan paved the way for Aaron Shampklin's 1,000-yard rushing season in 2018.

The big man was awarded All-Ivy League Second Team honors.

Harvard's rushing attack ranked 27th in the FCS in 2018 with 203.8 yards a game. The Crimson also ranked 47th with 1.8 sacks allowed a game. Shanahan is the leader of the offensive line that looks to grow even stronger this season.

BREAKING: Harvard OL Liam Shanahan grad transfer to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
April 28, 2020

TigerBait.com has learned that Harvard offensive lineman Liam Shanahan of Harvard will enroll at LSU as a graduate transfer. 

The 6-foot-5, 270-pound Shanahan is originally from Marlborough, Mass.

Our source says that Shanahan is “versatile” and could play several positions on the Tigers offensive line.  The entire process of getting him to LSU was a whirlwind and happened quickly on Tuesday. 

From his Harvard football bio:

All-Ivy League first team ... Phil Steele all-Ivy League first-team selection ... 2020 NFF Hampshire Honor Society ... Academic All-Ivy League ... New England Football Writers Division I All-New England Team ... All-ECAC second team ... Joseph E. Wolf Award (top interior lineman) ... Phil Steele preseason all-Ivy League first-team selection ... Played in all 10 Harvard matchups for a third straight season.

• Like 1

Report: LSU signs Harvard graduate transfer offensive lineman Liam Shanahan

lsuoklahoma.122919. 1112 bf.jpg
LSU coach Ed Orgeron prepares to lead his team onto the field before the Tigers' 63-28 CFP semifinal win over Oklahoma in the Peach Bowl on Dec. 28, 2019 in Atlanta. STAFF PHOTO BY BILL FEIG

Apr 28, 2020 - 4:04 pm

LSU has reportedly signed Harvard graduate transfer and offensive lineman Liam Shanahan, according to The Athletic.

The 6-foot-5, 270-pound Massachusetts native will count toward LSU's 2020 class and add depth to a Tigers offensive line that lost four starters from its national championship team.

Shanahan played in 10 games in 2018 and was an All-Ivy League second-team selection.

Shanahan is the second graduate transfer to join LSU's program this offseason, joining North Dakota State linebacker Jabril Cox. The Tigers class now has 24 members, which leaves room for one more transfer player if the LSU coaching staff does choose to sign another.

The last Harvard player to transfer into LSU's football program was former quarterback Andrew Hatch, who threw for 156 yards and two touchdowns from 2007 to 2008.

Harvard's Liam Shanahan signs with LSU football

• by Shea Dixon
  • 16 minutes ago

9747000.jpeg

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron finished National Signing Day with 22 signees, which landed as a top five class on the 247Sports Team Rankings when the dust settled from the first Wednesday in February.

The NCAA allows a college program to sign 25 players per class, which left LSU with three open spots that they could still fill for the 2020 class.

The first post-signing day addition was North Dakota State graduate transfer linebacker Jabril Cox, who is expected to compete for immediate playing time in 2020 after turning in a three-time All-American career with the Bison while also winning three FCS National Championships.

On Tuesday, Orgeron filled open spot No. 2.

Harvard graduate transfer offensive lineman Liam Shanahan has committed to the Tigers and signed his letter of intent, a source confirmed with the Geaux247 staff on Tuesday afternoon.

Shanahan, a 6-foot-5, 270-pounder from Massachusetts, was an All-Ivy League selection for the Crimson and played in double-digit games on the offensive line in 2017, 2018 and 2019. He arrived at Harvard for the 2016 season, but did not see any game action and took a redshirt.

Now that he’s graduated, Shanahan has one year of eligibility remaining, and he will use it with the Tigers as he begins to compete for playing time on an offensive line that saw four of the five starters agree to NFL contracts this past weekend. Another backup offensive lineman also signed an NFL contract.

That leaves right tackle Austin Deculus as the lone returning starter.

For LSU, the Tigers are getting an immediately eligible transfer in Shanahan who was a three-year starter and has 30 total starts under his belt, and in 2019 he helped pave the way for the offensive to average 42.0 points per game in its final three games against Columbia, Penn and Yale. He was also a key piece to the offensive line the year prior, when he helped running back Aaron Shampklin hit 1,000-plus yards rushing on the season in 2018.

Shanahan was a starter at offensive guard in 2017 before moving to offensive tackle in 2018 and 2019.

With LSU now at 24 signees for the 2020 class, the Tigers still have one spot they are able to fill ahead of the upcoming season.

Liam Shanahan

Football 4/28/2020 5:31:00 PM Michael Bonnette (@LSUBonnette)

Harvard Grad Transfer Shanahan Joins Football Team

BATON ROUGE – Liam Shanahan, a first team All-Ivy offensive lineman, has joined the LSU football team as a graduate transfer from Harvard University, head coach Ed Orgeronannounced on Tuesday.

Shanahan comes to LSU after playing in 30 consecutive games during his four-year career with the Crimson. As a senior, Shanahan started all 10 games, helping Harvard average nearly 400 yards of offense. He was part of an offensive line unit that helped pave the way for to All-Ivy League running backs in 2019. 

The Marlborough, Mass., native was a second team All-Ivy selection as a junior in 2018 and was the top offensive lineman for the Crimson in both 2018 and 2019.  He also earned a spot on the New England Football Writers Division I All-New England Team in 2019 as well as being the recipient of the Joseph E. Wolf Award as Harvard's top interior lineman. 

Off the field, Shanahan was named to the 2020 National Football Foundation Honor Society and earned Academic All-Ivy League honors. 

Shanahan will have one year of eligibility remaining when he joins the Tigers for the 2020 season

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Finding out his height and  weight is closer to what Saahdiq Charles is, so we good. Will try to check with someone within.

You up early bro!  I looked at his tape, he's mobile, crossing over to the left side of the line to pick up stunts.  I noticed when he gets on a block, he stays on it, sometime driving his man to the ground.  The Harvard team was coached to stay on their man, I saw some other players doing it, heck a wide receiver was pushing his man all the way until the whistle blew.  They all looked tenacious, no give up in them.  How he will hold up against Fla., Auburn, and InbredGumps remains to be seen, but I'll trust the staff to make that call.  Cregg has showed what he can do, he's good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, houtiger said:

You up early bro!  I looked at his tape, he's mobile, crossing over to the left side of the line to pick up stunts.  I noticed when he gets on a block, he stays on it, sometime driving his man to the ground.  The Harvard team was coached to stay on their man, I saw some other players doing it, heck a wide receiver was pushing his man all the way until the whistle blew.  They all looked tenacious, no give up in them.  How he will hold up against Fla., Auburn, and InbredGumps remains to be seen, but I'll trust the staff to make that call.  Cregg has showed what he can do, he's good.

Up early? I get my 3-4 hours every night. 
I too trust Cregg, if he wants him, I’m good with his evaluation. 

22 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

From a friend:

6’5 and a half, 290lbs.
Will get a look at guard/tackle and maybe center if 57 slacks this summer. 

I wonder what the Moffitt effect will be?  He won't have that long under Tommy, but with June, July and August, he could gain a little strength.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 6:06 PM, LSUDad said:

Might be a guy they move to center? Just a thought. 
Word is, he can play OG and OT

On 4/29/2020 at 3:07 PM, LSUDad said:

From a friend:

6’5 and a half, 290lbs.
Will get a look at guard/tackle and maybe center if 57 slacks this summer. 

Like I said...

Liam Shanahan expected to factor in right away at center

• by Billy Embody
  • Jul 7, 8:46 AM
9827718.jpeg

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron has raved about Harvard graduate transfer offensive lineman Liam Shanahanmultiple times since the Tigers signed him for the final year of his college eligibility. On Tuesday on Off The Bench with Culotta and T-Bob, Orgeron once again highlighted him, shedding light on the work he put in to factor in right away at the open center position.

"We think that Liam may be a center," Orgeron told 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge. "What we're hearing — obviously we can't watch him, but he's snapping well is what the quarterbacks are telling us. The other offensive linemen like him. They're working together. He's very smart. We feel that he can sure make the calls and be a leader for us. He's a big young man. He's 6-5, 310. He's a tough young man. He is really really impressive.

"I met his family. His daddy is a big Irishman. He's put I think four students through Ivy League schools. What a great family. Very impressed with the young man so far, but you've got to go through camp to get it done."

9827718.jpeg

LSU offensive line coach James Cregg, who turned the 2019 unit into the Joe Moore Award winners as the top offensive line in college football, found the Marlborough, Mass. native early one morning and caught Orgeron before his morning workout to share his tape.

"I was walking down the hall early in the morning. Coach Cregg gets in at 3 o'clock in the morning. This is 6 o'clock. He's been here for three hours," Orgeron said. "'Hey Coach O, I've got a little film for ya.' I said, 'What do you think, Coach?' I said, 'I like his athleticism. James, he played at Harvard. You think he can handle the SEC?' He says, 'Coach, I know he can.' Great find by James Cregg. I think is one of the best offensive line coaches in college football and he's an outstanding recruiter."

With NFL Draft pick Lloyd Cushenberrygone from the position he occupied most of his career in Baton Rouge, Shanahan along with relatively unproven players like Joseph EvansChasen Hines and others are working to replace him. The Tigers have been on campus for roughly a month working out and while Orgeron can't watch their football workouts, he relies on strength and conditioning coach Tommy Moffitt to give him updates.

Shanahan played in 30 consecutive games during his four-year career with the Crimson. As a senior, Shanahan started all 10 games, helping Harvard average nearly 400 yards of offense. He was part of an offensive line unit that helped pave the way for to All-Ivy League running backs in 2019.

For the full interview with Orgeron on 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge, where he touches on the staff, breakout players and more, click here.

• Like 1