Gameday Tigers

2020 Tigers In The NFL

LSUDad

Why Broncos rookie center Lloyd Cushenberry III has played every snap this season

play

Lloyd Cushenberry III's 2020 NFL draft profile (0:40)

Dec 23, 2020
  • legwold_jeff.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Jeff LegwoldESPN Senior Writer 

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- In a season when the Denver Broncos have not opened a game with the same 11 players on offense in back-to-back weeks and have started five different combinations on the offensive line, one player has been on the field for every snap in every game.

A rookie, no less, usually hidden in the sea of humanity up front: center Lloyd Cushenberry III.

Apprised of this fact in recent days, Broncos offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur quickly tapped his knuckles on a table. "Knock wood," he said. "It doesn't shock me. We've had a lot of turnover up front on the offensive line, for various reasons. He's been very steady, and that's his personality. It's a good thing, because he's a really talented player, and if you believe in reps and experience, I think he's getting all of that. At some point here in the offseason, he's just going to shake his head and say, 'What the heck was that?' and be able to kind of assess it and then move forward. He's handled it very, very well."

The Broncos selected Cushenberry in the third round of April's draft after they had worked the glamour aisle during Rounds 1 and 2 by selecting wide receivers Jerry Jeudy and KJ Hamler. Cushenberry started in LSU's star-studded, national championship offense, one that already included plenty of NFL concepts then-passing game coordinator Joe Brady (now Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator) had brought with him from the New Orleans Saints.

The Broncos liked Cushenberry's intelligence, his potential and what they considered to be a fairly unflappable demeanor. So much so that they tossed him into the proverbial deep end of the pool right from the start of training camp.

Broncos coach Vic Fangio didn't formally announce Cushenberry would start until the regular season had almost arrived, but Cushenberry worked with the starters for much of camp. When the season began against the Tennessee Titans, Cushenberry was just the second rookie to open at center in franchise history (J.D. Walton started the season opener in 2010) and the 12th rookie offensive lineman in franchise history overall to start the opener.

"I think Cush is a phenomenal center," said Broncos tackle Garett Bolles. "I think we drafted him for a reason, to anchor that middle of the line for many years. ... He's getting better every week, and he takes it seriously."

In a season full of injuries for the Broncos, it hasn't been an entirely smooth ride for Cushenberry. Some personnel evaluators in the league will quickly point to struggles against the more physical interior defensive linemen he has faced -- none more than Kansas City Chiefs Pro Bowler Chris Jones. Getting stronger will have to be at the top of Cushenberry's offseason to-do list so he can prevent getting pushed off his spot.

Best of NFL Nation

r796316_608x342_16-9.jpg

• Worst teams to play Week 17 spoiler
    • Inside Bronco's race to see birth of his son
    • Cowboys won't apologize if they get to playoffs
    • Davis, Brown ideal complements for Titans
    • It's been 18 years since Browns made playoffs

The Broncos' plan -- like many plans in 2020 -- to have Cushenberry learn on the job between guards Dalton Risner and free-agent signee Graham Glasgow was derailed some when Glasgow tested positive for COVID-19 in November. Glasgow has also missed time with a foot injury, and in the Broncos' Week 14 win over Carolina, it was fellow rookie Netane Mutiwho started in Gladgow's right guard spot.

But Fangio, Shurmur and Bolles have all pointed to Cushenberry's ability to work through the struggles with a mostly unchanging pulse rate.

"Here's another young player talking about the light coming on a little bit, and it's because he's played more and more and more," Shurmur said. "... You have to be able to know what you're doing well enough where you can just go play and there's no anxiety, there's no hesitation and you roll."

For his part, Cushenberry has said he just wants to be prepared for whatever comes his way and that, "I just try to make as many strides as I can each day, every game. ... I feel like it's my job, my responsibility to be as prepared as possible and to work on things I need to work on. That's what my focus is."

During a season filled with injuries and COVID-19 uncertainty, Broncos rookie Lloyd Cushenberry has been unflappable. AP Photo/David Zalubowski

• Like 1

Former LSU WR Justin Jefferson sets NFL record for receiving yards by a rookie

Former LSU WR Justin Jefferson sets NFL record for receiving yards by a rookie

Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson (18) makes a reception in the second half against the Detroit Lions during an NFL football game, Saturday, Jan. 3, 2021, in Detroit. (AP Photo/Rick Osentoski) (Source: Rick Osentoski) 
By Spencer Chrisman | January 3, 2021 at 2:57 PM CST - Updated January 3 at 3:21 PM 

DETROIT (WAFB) - Former LSU star wide receiver Justin Jefferson set an NFL record for most receiving yards by a rookie with the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, Jan. 3.

In the final game of the 2020 regular season Jefferson put his name in the record books by first breaking Hall of Fame wide receiver Randy Moss record for most receiving yards by a rookie.

Then, Jefferson passed another record by surpassing Anquan Boldin’s mark for most receiving yards (1,377) by a rookie in NFL history. Jefferson also moved past former LSU star Odell Beckham Jr. on Sunday as well. Beckham Jr. had 1,305 yards with New York Giants as a rookie in 2014.

Jefferson holds the record for most receptions by a rookie receiver in Vikings history, a record previously held by Moss who finished the 1998 season with 69 catches. Entering Sunday’s game Jefferson already caught 79 passes.

The franchise record for most 100-yard receiving games by a rookie of seven is also held by Jefferson. The former LSU star was the fifth receiver taken in the 2020 NFL Draft and was taken by the Vikings at No. 22.

• Like 1

WHAT EVERY LSU PLAYER DID IN NFL WEEK 17, THE LAST OF THE REGULAR SEASON

jacobphillipsclev.jpg Former LSU and current Cleveland Browns linebacker Jacob Phillips had a team-leading 10 tackles in the Browns' 24-22 win over Pittsburgh. AP photo by David Richard

The final week of the NFL regular season produced some big performances from former LSU stars who haven’t played much this season.

Cleveland rookie linebacker Jacob Phillips, who injured a knee in the opener, returned in Week 4, aggravated it in Week 5 and missed a month of the season, had a team-leading 10 tackles in the Browns’ 24-22 win over Pittsburgh on Sunday that clinched a playoff spot for Cleveland for the first time since 2002.

Tampa Bay Bucs linebacker Kevin Minter, an 8-year veteran who has been used in a backup role, stepped in for former LSU star Devin White (who was on the COVID-19 list) and had a team-high 9 tackles including 6 solo in the Bucs’ playoff-clinching 44-27 win over Atlanta.

Finally, Minnesota rookie wide receiver Justin Jefferson had 9 catches in a 37-36 win over the Lions to give Jefferson 79 receptions for the season, breaking the Vikings’ single-season rookie record of 69 set by Hall of Famer Randy Moss in 1998.

Here’s what all the former LSU standouts did in Week 17:

Sunday

Buffalo Bills 56, Miami Dolphins 26

Bills – CB Tre’Davious White on inactive list resting for playoffs, LS Reid Ferguson snapped for 8 of 8 extra points and 4 punts. Dolphins – LS Blake Ferguson snapped for 2 of 2 extra points, 2 of 2 field goals and 5 punts, DT Davon Godchaux on injured reserve (biceps) likely out for the rest of the season.

Baltimore Ravens 38, Cincinnati Bengals 3

Ravens – LB Patrick Queen 4 tackles (2 solo) 1 TFL. Bengals – QB Joe Burrow out for the season (torn knee ligaments).

Cleveland Browns 24, Pittsburgh Steelers 22

Steelers – OL Jerald Hawkins is a backup right tackleBrowns – LB Jacob Phillips 10 tackles (8 solo), 1 TFL,1 QB hit, WR Jarvis Landry 5 catches for 51 yards, 1 rushing attempt for a 3-yard TD, WR Odell Beckham Jr. out for the season with torn ACL, CB Greedy Williams on injured reserve list.

Minnesota Vikings 37, Detroit Lions 35

Vikings – WR Justin Jefferson 9 catches for 133 yards, DE Danielle Hunter on injured reserve (neck). Lions – DT Frank Herron no stats.

New York Giants 23Dallas Cowboys 19 

Cowboys – DB Rashard Robinson on inactive list.

Tampa Bay Bucs 44, Atlanta Falcons 27

Bucs – RB Leonard Fournette 5 carries for 13 yards, 2 catches for 14 yards, LB Devin White placed on COVID-19 list, LB Kevin Minter 9 tackles (6 solo), 1 PBU. Falcons – LB Deion Jones 4 tackles, 3 solo, WR Russell Gage 9 catches for 91 yards, 1 TD and 1 rush for 11 yards.

Green Bay Packers 35, Chicago Bears 16

Bears – LB Barkavious Mingo 1 tackle (1 solo), 1 PBU.

Las Vegas Raiders 32, Denver Broncos 31

Raiders – DE Arden Key 2 tackles, TE Foster Moreau 1 catch for 7 yards. C Lloyd Cushenberry started on an offensive line that produced 446 yards and allowed 2 sacks.

Indianapolis Colts 28Jacksonville Jaguars 14 

Jaguars – WR DJ Chark on inactive list, LB K’Lavon Chaisson 3 tackles (2 solo), 1 QB hit.

Los Angeles Chargers 38Kansas City Chiefs 21 

Chiefs – RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle) on inactive list, CB Tyrann Mathieu on inactive list to rest for playoffs, RB Darrel Williams 1 catch for 2 yards. Chargers – DT Breiden Fehoko played but no stats, OG Trai Turner on inactive list with knee injury. 

Los Angeles Rams 18Arizona Cardinals 7

Cardinals – CB Patrick Peterson 4 tackles (3 solo), Rashard Lawrence 2 tackles (1 solo). Rams – DT Michael Brockers no stats, OT Andrew Whitworth injured knee out for the year.

Seattle Seahawks 26, San Francisco 49ers 23

Seahawks – S Jamal Adams 3 tackles (3 solo), 1 TFL, TE/DE Stephen Sullivan no stats, OG Damien Lewis and C Ethan Pocic both started on an offense line that allowed 2 sacks, helped produce 276 yards and 20 4th quarter points.

New Orleans Saints 33, Carolina Panthers 7

Saints – OLB Kwon Alexander DNP sustained season- ending torn Achilles tendon last week, C Will Clapp no stats. Panthers – CB Donte Jackson 5 tackles (2 solo), 1 PBU.

Tennessee Titans 41, Houston Texans 38

Titans – CB Kristian Fulton 1 tackle (1 solo).

SUNDAY NIGHT

Washington 20, Philadelphia Eagles 14

Washington – OT Saahdiq Charles injured reserve (kneecap), TE Thaddeus Moss injured reserve (foot). Eagles – S Jalen Mills no stats, LB Duke Riley no stats.

• Like 1

Andrew Whitworth out for the season due to knee injury.  Think he retires?  He's been in the league 15 years, listed at 6' 7" and 330.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/paul-alexander-on-scouting-future-pro-bowl-lt-andrew-whitworth

Whit sounds like a smart man:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/andrew-whitworth-shares-his-experience-with-covid-19

Edited by houtiger

4 hours ago, houtiger said:

Andrew Whitworth out for the season due to knee injury.  Think he retires?  He's been in the league 15 years, listed at 6' 7" and 330.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/paul-alexander-on-scouting-future-pro-bowl-lt-andrew-whitworth

Whit sounds like a smart man:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/andrew-whitworth-shares-his-experience-with-covid-19

Big Whit was seen running today on a sideline. 

He is gonna try and play this week and sure appears he plans on playing next year.

The 39-year-old left tackle was absolutely right — and if the rest of the week goes well, the anchor of Los Angeles' offensive line will be on the field this weekend when the Rams (10-6) start their playoff push in Seattle.

“There's still some boxes to check off and make sure you can do everything, but right now everything feels great,” Whitworth said. “Eight weeks from an MCL-PCL tear is fast. I've told some friends I'm going to do my best not to cry the whole first half because I'm going to be emotional. I can't wait for the opportunity.”

Whitworth began his second full week of practice with his teammates Wednesday and came out feeling confident about his chances to return from a potentially season-ending injury more quickly than almost anybody realistically anticipated. Whitworth was hurt during the Seahawks' visit to Los Angeles earlier this season, leaving the field on a cart with the knowledge his career could be finished.

Not only is Whitworth's career not over, but he seems increasingly likely to return to the Rams next season. Whitworth said his body is fresh after two months without a game, but his rehab has “been a grind," and he doesn't want to waste that work.

https://pro32.ap.org/article/whitworth-hopes-return-will-boost-rams-struggling-offense

• Like 2

Amazing for Whit.  I've never heard of that rapid a return from his injury, I though he was done for the year.

Edited:  Bengals could have used Whit this year, why they let him go, I'll never know.  Maybe a money deal, didn't think they could afford him.  How much did it cost the Bengals to lose Joe Burrow this year?

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lloyd Cushenberry III selected to PFWA's All-Rookie Team

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:02 AM

/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/centerpiece/homepage/2015/07-July/SwansonBen.jpg

Ben Swanson

Managing Editor, DenverBroncos.com

210119_cushenberry

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — For the second year in a row, a Broncos offensive lineman has made the Pro Football Writers of America’s All-Rookie Team.

Lloyd Cushenberry III, a third-round pick by the Broncos in the 2020 NFL Draft, earned the honor after starting all 16 games for Denver. No other rookie at the position accomplished that feat in 2020. Cushenberry was also the only player on Denver's offense and one of two rookies in the NFL to play every single snap. Cushenberry is just the third center in the last five seasons to start all 16 games during his rookie year.

Even better play may be on the horizon for the former LSU Tiger, as Head Coach Vic Fangio identified him as the player who may have improved the most over the course of the season.

"He was a guy that constantly got better inch by inch," Fangio said in his end-of-season press conference. "He never made a big jump one week to the next, but he just kept getting better in small increments and by the end of the season was playing his best football. I think after this offseason and he gets to watch himself in cut ups and getting coached by [Offensive Line Coach] Mike [Munchak] and 'Kupe' [Assistant Offensive Line Coach Chris Kuper], that he'll come back a better player. I expect him to flourish next year even more so."

Cushenberry is now the fourth player on the Broncos' current offensive line to have earned this distinction. Guard Dalton Risner (2019), left tackle Garett Bolles (2017) and right tackle Ja'Wuan James (2014) were named to previous PFWA All-Rookie Teams.

• Like 1

What every former LSU player did in the NFL’s NFC and AFC semifinals

DarrelWill.jpeg

Kansas City running back Darrel Williams is the consummate professional.

And just like when he played for LSU from 2014-2017, when he was often the second or third back behind Leonard Fournette and Derrius Guice, it doesn’t matter that the third-year pro has never started an NFL regular season game or that the Chiefs have either drafted or signed running backs ticketed to start or receive substantial playing time.

Whenever his number is called, he’s ready and prepared.

Like Sunday when LSU rookie and Chiefs’ starting running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire, nursing ankle and hip injuries, was placed on the injury list before the Chiefs hosted Cleveland in the AFC semifinals.

Williams, who was undrafted, came up huge in the first start of his career in a 22-17 win that advanced Kansas City to the AFC championship game vs. Buffalo.

Playing on 79 percent of KC’s offensive snaps, he ran for his season-best 78 yards on 13 carries and had 4 catches for 16 yards as the Chiefs held on in the second half after quarterback Patrick Mahomes was knocked out of the game with a concussion. Williams produced five first downs in his 17 touches, including a 5-yard catch on 3rd and 4 on the Chiefs’ final possession as they retained possession to clinch the win.

In an NFC semifinal, Tampa Bay’s Fournette and linebacker Devin White came home to Louisiana and broke the hearts of New Orleans Saints fans in a 30-20 victory over the Saints in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

White, playing in his first playoff game in his second year in the NFL, had 11 tackles (10 solo), a 28-yard interception return and a fumble recovery with both Saints’ turnovers leading to touchdowns. Fournette ran for 63 yards on 17 carries and had 5 catches for 44 yards including a 6-yard TD grab that started Tampa Bay’s run of 17 unanswered points.

Here’s what all former LSU standouts on NFL playoff teams during the conference semifinals:

Saturday

Buffalo Bills 17, Baltimore Ravens 3

Bills – CB Tre’Davious White 6 tackles (5 solo), 1 TFL, 1 PBU. LS Reid Ferguson snapped for 2 of 2 extra points, 1 of 3 field goals and 4 punts. Ravens – LB Patrick Queen 2 tackles (1 solo).

Green Bay Packers 32, Los Angeles Rams 18

Rams – DT Michael Brockers 8 tackles (4 solo), OT Andrew Whitworth played 53 snaps.

Sunday

Tampa Bay Bucs 30, New Orleans Saints 20 

Saints – OLB Kwon Alexander DNP sustained season-ending torn Achilles tendon, OL Will Clapp placed on COVID-19 list. Bucs – RB Leonard Fournette 63 yards rushing on 17 carries and 5 catches for 44 yards including a 6-yard TD, LB Devin White 11 tackles (10 solo), 1 TFL, a 28-yard interception return, 1 PBU, a fumble recovery, LB Kevin Minter no stats.

Kansas City Chiefs 22, Cleveland Browns 17

Chiefs – RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire on inactive list (ankle/hip injuries), CB Tyrann Mathieu 7 tackles (5 solo), 1 TFL, 1 interception for 17 yards, 1 PBU, RB Darrel Williams 78 yards on 13 carries, 4 catches for 16 yards. Browns – LB Jacob Phillips 2 tackles (1 solo), WR Jarvis Landry 7 catches for 20 yards, 1 RD, WR Odell Beckham Jr out for the season with torn ACL, CB Greedy Williams on injured reserve list.

• Like 1

Koob is hanging it up. He did a great job getting Jets involved in the offense. 

Super Bowl-winning Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak retires from NFL

Jan 21, 2021 at 02:33 PM

/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/persons/author/DiLALLA_Aric_web.jpg

Aric DiLalla

Lead writer

Former Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak calling it a career

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — After nearly four decades in the NFL as a player and coach, Super Bowl-winning former Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak has retired.

Kubiak served as the Vikings' offensive coordinator/assistant head coach in 2020 after serving as the assistant head coach and offensive advisor in 2019.

The only individual to play and coach for the Broncos and work in the team's front office, Kubiak served as Denver's head coach in 2015-16 and led the team to a Super Bowl 50 title.

"It's been the honor of my lifetime to work for 36 seasons as an NFL player and coach," Kubiak said in a statement. "I've been on a football field for most of my life, and now I look forward to stepping away from the game and enjoying more time with my family and friends.

"I offer my sincere thanks to the owners and fans of the Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos, Baltimore Ravens, Houston Texans and San Francisco 49ers for giving me opportunities to be a part of this great game and for treating me and my family so well over the years.

"I'll miss the competition, the planning, game days and being part of a team. But, more than anything, I'll cherish the friendships I've made along the way with players, coaches and staff. I love the game of football and will forever be its biggest fan."

In the Broncos' 2015 championship season, Kubiak helped Denver to a 12-4 record and the No. 1 seed on the back of nine wins by seven points or fewer (a total that grew to 11 in the postseason). Denver also recorded three comeback wins of at least 14 points against playoff teams, which was the most in a single season by an organization in NFL history.

Likely first-ballot Hall of Famer Peyton Manning missed seven starts as he battled a midseason foot injury, but Kubiak helped Brock Osweiler and the Broncos win five of those seven games.

Kubiak posted a 24-11 record — including postseason — in his two seasons leading the franchise, and no coach in franchise history earned more wins in his first two seasons. He became just the fourth coach in NFL history to a lead a team to a Super Bowl win in his first season with the team.

"The Denver Broncos congratulate Gary Kubiak on an incredible 36-year career in the NFL," President/CEO Joe Ellis said. "Few people have impacted one team in more ways than Gary over his 24 seasons with the Broncos. Part of six Super Bowl appearances — including three wins — with the Broncos as a player, assistant coach, head coach and personnel executive, Gary will always have a special place in our championship history. He is an outstanding coach who did a masterful job leading us to a win in Super Bowl 50, deftly navigating that season with tremendous instincts and feel every step of the way. On behalf of the Broncos, we wish Gary all the best in his retirement. We also recognize and thank his wife, Rhonda, for her unwavering support of our organization throughout Gary's time with the Broncos."

Kubiak stepped down as the team's coach in January 2017 after a health scare in the 2016 season — later diagnosed as a complex migraine condition — that required him to miss a game against the Chargers.

Look back on the storied NFL playing, coaching and personnel careers of Gary Kubiak, who announced his retirement on Thursday.

Quarterbacks Steve DeBerg and Gary Kubiak discuss strategy on the bench during a December 1983 game.

1 / 123

Quarterbacks Steve DeBerg and Gary Kubiak discuss strategy on the bench during a December 1983 game.

Rod Hanna
2 / 123

Quarterback Gary Kubiak spikes the ball after rushing for a touchdown during game vs. Seattle.

123 / 123

DeMarcus Ware and Gary Kubiak during training camp at UCHealth Training Center in Centennial, CO, August 03, 2018. Photo by Gabriel Christus

Gabriel Christus/© Gabriel Christus

He rejoined the organization that June as a senior personnel advisor and remained with the organization through the 2018 season. Kubiak then joined then the Vikings early in 2019.

He previously spent eight seasons as the Texans' head coach from 2006-13.

Prior to his head coaching career, Kubiak spent nine seasons playing for the Broncos from 1983-91. A backup and confidant for John Elway, Kubiak started just five games in his career and threw 14 career touchdown passes. The eighth-round pick, who joined the team the same year as Elway, returned to Denver in 1995 after a short stint as Texas A&M's running backs coach and the 49ers' quarterbacks coach.

For the next four seasons, Kubiak again worked alongside Elway as the Broncos' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. He remained the team's offensive coordinator through the 2005 season, at which point he was hired as the Texans' head coach.

During his tenure as a player and coach, Kubiak and the Broncos made six Super Bowl appearances and won three world championships. He also won a Super Bowl with the 49ers after the 1994 season.

On Thursday, Coach Gary Kubiak called it a career.

• Like 1

A Look At LSU Players in NFL Championship Games This Weekend

Tyrann Mathieu, Devin White among the long list of former Tigers trying to get to a Super Bowl
GLEN WEST
UPDATED:
JAN 22, 2021
ORIGINAL:
JAN 22, 2021
  •  
  •  
  •  

It's been a wild ride in the NFL this season, one that's included postponed games and smaller crowds and a new playoff breakdown. But we've finally reached the final three games of the 2020-21 season and this weekend, multiple LSU Tigers will be playing with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line. 

After knocking off the New Orleans Saints, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will be taking on the Green Bay Packers at 2:05 p.m. on Fox. The other matchup will feature the defending Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs and the Buffalo Bills, a team that hasn't been in this position since the 1990's when it went and lost four consecutive Super Bowls. 

Scroll for more

ADVERTISEMENT

The Buccaneers, Chiefs and Bills all have former Tigers on the roster including Devin White, Leonard Fournette, Kevin Minter, Tyrann Mathieu, Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Tre'davious White.

Fournette and White are coming off stellar outings against the New Orleans Saints as the former running back rushed for 63 yards and brought in five catches for 44 yards and a touchdown while White recorded 11 tackles, one tackle for a loss, an interception and a 28-yard fumble recovery. For LSU fans who have long waited for the Saints to invest in former Tigers, watching two of LSU's very best dominate from start to finish was a tough sight to behold.

White, in just his second year in the league, is proving to be one of the NFL's budding defensive stars and Sunday night's performance became what can be described as a "breakout" performance on a national stage. 

Mathieu, one of the NFL's premier safeties, won a Super Bowl last year with the Chiefs and recorded seven tackles and an interception in a Divisional Round win over the Cleveland Browns. The Cheifs could use their rookie running back Edwards-Helaire back in the lineup as he's been out with ankle and hip injuries and missed the entire playoffs to this points. 

Edwards-Helaire is a dual threat weapon in both the running and passing game and has just returned to practice on Thursday, though fellow Tiger Darrel Williams has played great in his absence. It'll be interesting to monitor his status ahead of Sunday night's matchup with the Bills. 

White and the Bills just held Lamar Jackson and the Ravens to three points in a divisional win and will be a stout test for Edwards-Helaire, Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs offense should Mahomes play due to a concussion. 

It's a forgone conclusion that at least a few former Tigers will be playing in the Super Bowl. Tune in Sunday to see just exactly which ones will be marching on to Tampa. 

• Like 1

I saw an interview with Fournette after the win over GB.  He looks suitably humble these days.  He admits that being cut by Jacksonville stunned him and it was the low point of his career.  I looked for the reason he was cut, and the Jacksonville coach said there was nothing personal, they looked at their running backs and felt they were all equal in ability, and they didn't say it, but Leonard made the most money.  They kept an undrafted free agent RB out of S. Illinois, and that kid made the all rookie team.  They asked Leonard why he went to Tampa, and he said Tom Brady said he wanted him in Tampa, as well as other players and the coaching staff.  He said it felt right.  He said he had an up and down year and he got frustrated that he was not getting more playing time.  He said he had a good talk with Bruce Arians and he felt better after that.  He had his challenges in Jacksonville, he and Caughlin did not get along.  He seems more mature, he should be, he's older and has been through some adversity.  I'm happy to see him get a shot at a ring.  But, KC is favored by 4 points.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:15 PM, LSUDad said:

Koob is hanging it up. He did a great job getting Jets involved in the offense. 

Super Bowl-winning Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak retires from NFL

Jan 21, 2021 at 02:33 PM

/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/persons/author/DiLALLA_Aric_web.jpg

On Thursday, Coach Gary Kubiak called it a career.

Talking with a friend tonight, looks like Former LSU Tiger Tyke Tolbert might end up taking over the OC job with the Vikings. 

“Maybe the Vikings' next offensive coordinator won't be Klint Kubiak after all. Minnesota is set to interview longtime wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert for their OC vacancy this week, according to Ian Rapaport.”

A little back story here, my friend called Kubiak when he got the Head Coaching job with Denver. My friend asked how the staff was coming. Kubiak had a few spots open, WR being one. My friend roomed and played with Kubiak at aTm. He asked him to interview Tyke for the WR job. Tyke was on the previous staff that was let go. Tyke and his family loved Denver, didn’t want to move. Kubiak hired Tyke, now looks like he’s put in a good word for him. I hope Tyke gets the job. 

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Kinda cool for him to be Justin Jefferson’s position coach in Minn

They are looking at Tyke for the OC. 
Back in 1999, Tyke was the WR Coach at ULaff. I knew a number of coaches on that staff, most I still talk with from time to time. Tyke left ULaff, worked one year at UFla. In 2003, he took the WR job with the Arizona Cardinals, and has been in the NFL ever since. Tyke started as a GA at LSU in 1994. 

• Like 1

Former LSU TE Stephen Sullivan signs with Carolina Panthers

Former LSU TE Stephen Sullivan signs with Carolina Panthers

Former LSU tight end Stephen Sullivan (10) (Source: Josh Auzenne/WAFB-TV) 
By Josh Auzenne | February 3, 2021 at 3:28 PM CST - Updated February 3 at 6:53 PM 

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WAFB) - Former LSU tight end Stephen Sullivan has signed a reserve/future contract with the Carolina Panthers, the team reported Wednesday, Feb. 3.

The Donaldsonville, La. native was taken by the Seattle Seahawks in the seventh round (No. 251 overall) in the 2020 NFL Draft and made the team’s practice squad.

Sullivan practiced as a tight end and defensive end for the Seahawks. He recorded a tackle assist in the 37-27 win over the 49ers on Nov. 1, 2020.

Later that month, head coach Pete Carroll said Sullivan had undergone sports hernia surgery and would be out for three weeks. Carroll added Sullivan was going to focus on tight end after recovering.

The 6-foot-3, 245-pounder is listed as a tight end on the Panthers’ roster.

• Like 2

2020 NFLSU Year In Review

Recapping what the Tigers did in the NFL this year

By Evan Saacks  Feb 7, 2021, 10:00am CST

nflsu5.0.jpgHa-Vy Nguyen

Tonight the 2020 football season will officially be over (minus the FCS who is apparently still playing in March and April???) and we will all be better for it. 

While the 2020 LSU football season could have been... better, the LSU alumni in the NFL were dominant at almost every every position. Before we preview a Super Bowl that has LSU more represented than any other school, let’s look back at what the Tigers accomplished throughout this weird year, starting with the All NFLSU Team and a breakdown of how the picks were made.

QB: Joe Burrow, CIN

RB: Clyde Edwards-Helarie, KC; Leonard Fournette, TB

WR: Justin Jefferson, MIN; Jarvis Landry, CLE

TE: Foster Moreau, OAK

G: Trai Turner, LAC; Damien Lewis, SEA

😄Ethan Pocic, SEA

T: Andrew Whitworth, LAR; Jerald Hawkins, PIT

EDGE RUSHER: Michael Brockers, LAR; Barkevious Mingo, CHI

INTERIOR RUSHER: Davon Godchaux, MIA; Breiden Fehoko, LAC

LB: Devin White, TB; Patrick Queen, BAL; Deion Jones, ATL

CB: Tre’Davious White, BUF; Donte Jackson, CAR

S: Tyrann Mathieu, KC; Jamal Adams, SEA

LS: Reid Ferguson, BUF; Blake Ferguson, MIA

QB: I mean no shyte it’s Burrow. He only played half the season and still almost made that cursed franchise look like they have a glimmer of hope for the future. He’s legit. 

RB: While Darrell Williams has been solid for the Chiefs, Fournette’s resurgence during the Playoffs makes him the easy second pick behind Clyde.

WR: Jefferson was an easy choice, but Landry’s excellent showing in both Browns playoff games is why he gets the nod over DJ Chark and Russell Gage, who both had decent seasons on moribund teams. A lot of people also forget that OBJ was having a phenomenal start to the season before tearing his ACL. You’ll see him come up again later on here.

TE: Moreau was the only LSU tight end on an active roster this year, but still snagged two TDs despite sitting behind a Pro Bowler in Darren Waller and a corpse in Jason Witten. With the latter retired he should find the end zone more next year.

G: These were our only two options. Turner’s first year out west was a little rocky with him only playing half the team’s games, and while he started all 17 games, Lewis definitely had some rookie growing pains. La’el Collins missed the whole season with an injury, and every other guard was a reserve.

😄Pocic has become a rock for Seattle’s line. Lloyd Cushenberry played every snap for a rookie with the Broncos, but still has a long way to catch Pocic.

T: Andrew Whitworth is a crazy Oedipus who I think might be immortal. The only other tackle in the League is Jerald Hawkins who was on/off the active roster all year. Honestly the other tackle should’ve just been Whitworth again.

EDGE: Brockers had a solid year as usual, but how hard can it really be to play DE next to Aaron Donald? (This is a joke, I know it’s incredibly hard) K’Lavon Chaisson and Rashard Lawrence had some rookie struggles, so Mingo gets the nod with a decent year for the journeyman. 

INT: Not a lot of options here. Godchaux only played five games before being lost to injury, and Fehoko didn’t hit the active roster until late November and didn’t record any stats. We gotta fill this roster out somehow!

LB: The most dense and loaded position of the year for sure. White was a shoe-in. Queen and Jones had stiff competition from Kwon Alexander, but they each had more tackles and found the end zone several times, so they got the nod. In addition to them, Jacon Phillips and Duke Riley were every down starters by the end of the year. As I said in a previous post, LSU might have a legit claim to LBU.

CB: White was a no-brainer, but D-Jax over Patrick Peterson might be a surprise. Jackson had a phenomenal year, cementing himself as one of the biggest playmakers on a defense that sorely missed Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis and Julius Peppers. 

S: Duh. Moving on.

LS: Since LSU doesn’t currently have any kickers or punters in the league, we might as well include BOTH Ferguson brothers. Having two brothers both be long snappers for two teams in the same division is coo as shyte. Of course we’re gonna brag about that. 

NFLSU Plays Of The Year

Burrow’s First Score 

Clyde’s First Score

Jarvis to Odell 

The Griddy into the end zone

Donte Jackson in the open field

Old Man Whitworth strength 

Who Remembers Tyron Johnson? 

OBJ runs 64 yards on a 50-yard TD to ice it

PQ takes it the other way

Clyde through six defenders and the snow

Burrow Wizardry 

...MORE Burrow Wizardry!

Devin White’s absurd burst

Tre White shuts the Seahawks down

Jamal Adams doing his Honey Badger impression

Jefferson deep to take the lead

The best Falcon named Deion to ever get a pick-six

ABSOLUTELY FILTHY Jefferson Route

Honey Badger seals it 

Open field Foster Moreau ankle-breaker!

Duke Riley plucks it out the air

QB1 Russell Gage

Best Rookie Receiver EVER

Landry helps the Browns shock the world

Playoff Badger

But Landry answers back...

Devin White back in Louisiana 

Fournette makes the Packers look like Auburn

Devin White finds the ball

One LSU RB in the end zone in KC...

And now another!

And now that we’ve recounted how we got here, onto the finale.

Justin Jefferson is Pro Football Focus' highest-graded rookie

Bryan Manning 

February 12, 2021 12:00 pm

ADVERTISEMENT

Stay

Play Next

Former LSU star Justin Jefferson had a record-breaking season for the Minnesota Vikings in 2020. Not only did Jefferson break Randy Moss’ team record for receiving yards by a rookie, but he also broke the NFL record.

Yet, when it came time to name the NFL’s offensive rookie of the year, Jefferson wasn’t the choice. That honor went to Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert.

However, one prominent outlet believes Jefferson was the NFL’s top rookie in 2020.

Pro Football Focus said Jefferson was their top-graded rookie for 2020, ahead of Washington defensive end Chase Young, who was named defensive rookie of the year.

Related

Game balls following LSU women's basketball loss to Florida

Tampa Bay offensive tackle Tristan Wirfs came in third, while New England guard Michael Onwenu came in at No. 4.

Jefferson caught 88 passes for 1,400 yards and eight touchdowns in 2020. He moved into the starting lineup and helped Minnesota replace Stefon Diggs.

Jefferson and Young were the only two rookies named to the NFL Pro Bowl.

One name missing among the top rookies is Cincinnati quarterback Joe Burrow. The No. 1 overall pick would have likely been a finalist for top rookie honors until a knee injury prematurely ended his promising first year in November.

• Like 1

I wonder where Fournette ends up, he played on a one year contract last season for $2 million from Tampa Bay.  He's 26 years old, and his next contract could be his last big payday.  I hope he did not go crazy and throw his money away.  A lot of those guys don't understand money, they think they are rich, but don't realize the gravy train will end when they are 30'ish.  Not many Tom Brady's playing at a high level in their 40's.  Leonard will not be an announcer after his playing days are over, doesn't have that going for him.  At least Playoff Lenny did well, he showed he can be a key to helping a team win the Superbowl.  If you have a creditable running attack, the defense can't just tee off on your QB.

• 4 weeks later...