Gameday Tigers

Aranda And The Baylor Job

LSUDad

Dave Aranda reveals how his 15-year-old daughter played a big part in his decision to take Baylor job

Adam Spencer | 1 hour ago

Former LSU DC Dave Aranda has been a hot name on the coaching market for a couple of years now. This year, after helping the Tigers win the national title, he finally made the jump to the head coaching ranks, taking over at Baylor.

So, why now? Why leave the Tigers for a head coaching position at Baylor? Well, in a profile written by 247Sports reporter Brandon Marcello, Aranda revealed that his 15-year-old daughter played a big part in that choice.

00:13
03:44

00:08

Per the story, Jayden Aranda mentioned Baylor as her top college choice during a report she gave this past school year:

Turns out it was all about timing, and a school project his 15-year-old daughter, Jayden, presented in October, during the heart of LSU’s run to a national title.

“She was doing a project for a school about when it gets to be time to choose a [college] where would you want to go,” Aranda said. “Baylor was her choice. She was talking to me how beautiful the campus was and showing it to me, and talking to me about the small class sizes, student-teacher ratio, how it’s a Christian school like the school she goes to now.”

Taking over at a Power 5 school was a big career move for Aranda. If it didn’t happen this year, it was bound to happen at some point.

But, with the chance to go coach at a school his daughter loves, it makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

Aranda seems like a glove fit at Baylor.  He showed more of his religous side in his intro talk, and I am sure this is something Baylor wanted, a faith based head coach.

I hope Dave does well there, I think he's a good coach and nice person.  I just hope he loses any recruiting battles over kids we want for LSU.

I was concerned that Aranda would get Bill Busch to join him since Dave brought him to LSU.  But I guess Busch looked at both opportunities and figured life may be more secure at LSU, where O's job is secure for a while, and Dave has yet to prove himself as a head coach.  I would have stayed at LSU.

21 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Aranda seems like a glove fit at Baylor.  He showed more of his religous side in his intro talk, and I am sure this is something Baylor wanted, a faith based head coach.

I hope Dave does well there, I think he's a good coach and nice person.  I just hope he loses any recruiting battles over kids we want for LSU.

I was concerned that Aranda would get Bill Busch to join him since Dave brought him to LSU.  But I guess Busch looked at both opportunities and figured life may be more secure at LSU, where O's job is secure for a while, and Dave has yet to prove himself as a head coach.  I would have stayed at LSU.

Very seldom we go up against Baylor for a player. Baylor is a great venue. The new stadium was built in 2014, only holds about 45k. But still a nice place. I park in a warehouse district with shops, bars and restaurants. Walk downriver, over a footbridge into the stadium. 
My friend Phil Bennett was the DC there, I’d text him, with the number of tickets needed, go to will call, get my tickets. The funny part, try to order a Coke, or Pepsi, they don’t have  them, only RC cola. A Baylor Grad has the RC franchise, gives them the cola for almost nothing. 

Now Phil Bennett has a nice place about 15 mins from Kyle Field in College Station. Last season my granddaughter wanted to see a game at aTm. Phil got us a parking pass right across the street from the stadium. 

• Like 2