Gameday Tigers

No Fans In Tiger Stadium This Fall

Hatchertiger

:classic_ohmy: Yep if the season started now that is what  a professor of epidemiology at the LSU School of Public Health says:

“Certainly, if it were happening now, no," professor Edward Trapido told LSU's student newspaper. "It's just too big a crowd."

Trapido and colleague Susanne Straif-Bourgeois list the "logistical nightmare” that would be playing a season this fall.

Some of the main points made were the near impossibility of social distancing at crowded entry and exit gates, bathrooms, concession lines, ramps and elevators

What a cluster this season could turn out to be.  My friend knows somebody at the ticket office who told him playing this season in the spring is not off of the table.

Ivy League voted to postpone all fall sports.

The Ivy League voted on Wednesday to postpone all fall sports, with no date set for resuming the conference's athletic events, per TMG Sports' Mark Blaudschun.

The conference hopes it can move fall sports to the spring, including football, per The Athletic's Dana O'Neil. CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein added on Wednesday that the Ivy League "will not entertain any sports being played until after January 1st."

Winter sports such as basketball a re likely see their calendars shifted as a result of the Ivy League's decision.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/08/ivy-league-postpone-fall-sports-hopeful-football-spring

They were the first conference to pull he plug on basketball in March.  Is this going to create a domino effect?  Sure hope not.

Edited by Hatchertiger

At least our last time at bat, so to speak, we won the natty!  I watch us beat InbredGumps over and over.  The thought of facing Najee Harris again is not comforting, he's a hoss, and he catches well.  6' 2", 230 lbs., like Fournette.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion with a friend of mine last night. IF we have a season this fall, in whatever form or fashion, will tailgating be allowed on campus?  If the rule is no tailgating on campus, how do you enforce that?  SEC has announced they aren't making a decision about football this fall until "late" July.  This whole issue has become one big cluster.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 7:00 AM, dachsie said:

So with the Big10 going to a conference only schedule, what does that do to independents like ND, Army, BYU, etc?  I read that someone thinks it has nothing to do with safety but everything to do with not wanting to pay cupcake teams

ND already plays something like 5 games against ACC teams every year as part of their affiliation in the other sports.  My guess is they’d just fill in the rest with more of those games. 

I was just reading some of the NCAA guidelines they are proposing:

Testing 72 hours prior to competing - and the schools are responsible for test them - that's a lot of money each week.

If someone test positive all their team and any of the opposing team that competed against them has to go into a 14 day quarantine - that could be entire position groups!

The document also outlines five conditions that could result in a school pausing or discontinuing athletic activities:

Lack of ability to isolate new positive cases or quarantine high-contact risk cases on campus

Inability to perform weekly testing

Campus-wide or local community test rates that are considered unsafe by local public health officials

Inability to perform adequate contact tracing

Local public health officials state that there is an inability for the hospital infrastructure to accommodate a surge in COVID-related hospitalizations

https://www.thescore.com/wcbk/news/1986536/ncaa-sets-universal-covid-19-testing-standards

I think this season is screwed

• Like 1

With the protocols that have been put in place, great explanation for why even if there is a college football season this fall, there still may not be a college football season this fall:

College Football's Stringent Contact Tracing Protocol Is 'Massive Challenge' to Season

With high-risk contacts to the virus subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine, is a college football season even possible?
Ross Dellenger
3 hours ago

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/21/college-football-return-coronavirus-contact-tracing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Louisiana governor shares the latest on possible attendance capacity for Tiger Stadium

Keith Farner | 52 minutes ago

LSU is still waiting on approval from Louisiana governor John Bel Edwards to set the attendance limitations for Tiger Stadium this season.

Although it appears state officials are leaning toward something in the 25 percent window of capacity, which would mean about 25,000 fans. That is largely in the ballpark of other schools around the SEC and country that have announced attendance changes in recent weeks.

The state will not announce a move to Phase Two or Phase Three until at least an 11:30 a.m. news conference on Wednesday.

Edwards told reporters, “We’ve ridden the crest of two COVID surges, and I’m not interested in doing it a third time, and added that it’s “troubling to see people doing what we know to be unsafe (regarding COVID-19 mitigations). I understand people don’t like restrictions, but they’re there for reason. We’re following recommendations from the White House task force.”

I rolled my season tickets over to next season. Too much uncertainty about the season when I had to decide.  First time in 20 years I won't be on campus for the season.  Looks like they will disperse around 25,000 season ticket holders and students throughout the stadium?  Wife gave me a projector and a huge screen for Father's Day so that I can set up my tailgate in my yard on Game Day. Will be nice to have unlimited power and a BBQ pit at the tailgate this year, not to mention AC when its hot and no lines to use the bathroom. Gotta find the silver lining!!!!!  Go Tigers!

• Like 3

It's official 25% capacity and NO tailgating:

Tailgating

Tailgating on campus will not be permitted in 2020 and LSU Athletics is encouraging fans without tickets to enjoy the game from home in order to help minimize the number of people on campus. In order to comply with public health guidelines, tailgating and tailgate setups, including tents, trailers, outdoor cooking, generators and communal food and beverage areas will not be permitted on campus.

Fans are permitted to gather near their vehicle with household members or a small group with whom they traveled. An updated list of prohibited items and 2020 tailgating policies can be found below.

https://lsusports.net/sports/2020/8/31/2020-tiger-stadium-policies.aspx

• Like 1

Tiger Stadium set for 25% capacity, no tailgating allowed

BySHEA DIXON 42 minutes ago 

In coordination with state public health officials, the Southeastern Conference and university officials, LSU Athletics today announced plans welcoming ticketed fans to Tiger Stadium for the 2020 football season. In order to accommodate fans and to comply with public health guidelines, LSU is implementing numerous changes to its gameday policies and Tiger Stadium will open the 2020 season with 25 percent capacity.

“This plan focuses on the health and safety of all those attending LSU football games, from the fans to the team to the workers,” said Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards. “By reducing the capacity and taking a year off from tailgating, which puts LSU in line with other SEC schools, the plan allows for fans to be socially distanced in Death Valley. I encourage the Tiger faithful to adhere to these guidelines and to act responsibly, as there is still a lot of COVID in Louisiana. We will continue to monitor our case counts, test positivity rate and hospitalizations and make adjustments as necessary. While this season is undoubtedly starting out differently from a normal football season, with COVID keeping all of us from celebrating together, nothing can dim the support we have for our LSU Tigers.”

The health and safety of fans is the top priority in LSU Athletics’ planning and preparation for the 2020 football season in Tiger Stadium. Among numerous safety measures, fans will be required to wear face masks on campus and in Tiger Stadium, tailgating on campus will not be permitted and physical distancing will be mandatory.

A comprehensive and regularly updated list of all COVID-19 related changes and fan notifications can be found below. Fans can also receive updates with the new LSU Sports Mobile App.

LSU Athletics officials remind fans plans for 2020 are subject to change before and during the season along with changes to public-health guidelines related to the spread of COVID-19.

“By all of us doing a few things differently this season, we’re going to safely play football with fans in the stands and that’s exciting for everyone who loves LSU,” said LSU Athletic Director Scott Woodward. “Doing this safely and smartly is our shared responsibility. It’s important for this community, our school and our student-athletes. We’re in this together and we are all excited to play football in Tiger Stadium with the greatest fans in America. I want to thank Gov. Edwards and his team for their strong support and guidance during this time.”

Tickets & Parking

Ticketholders who want to opt out of their 2020 season tickets can do so via a form that will be emailed from the LSU Ticket Office this week. The deadline to opt out is Friday, Sept. 11.

At this time single-game tickets will not be available. Season ticketholders for 2020 should expect their total allotment of tickets to be reduced in order to ensure a maximum number of ticketholders can attend games in 2020. The LSU Athletics Ticket Office will be in contact this week with ticketholders on next steps in the distribution process.

Student tickets will be made available. LSU Athletics and LSU Student Government are coordinating and will be in contact with students via email with details.

All parking lots, including free lots, will require a permit and will open four hours before game time. The LSU Athletic Ticket Office will contact ticketholders with information on obtaining a free or paid parking permit. Unused parking lots will be closed and not permitted for public use. 

Tailgating

Tailgating on campus will not be permitted in 2020 and LSU Athletics is encouraging fans without tickets to enjoy the game from home in order to help minimize the number of people on campus. In order to comply with public health guidelines, tailgating and tailgate setups, including tents, trailers, outdoor cooking, generators and communal food and beverage areas will not be permitted on campus.

Fans are permitted to gather near their vehicle with household members or a small group with whom they traveled. An updated list of prohibited items and 2020 tailgating policies can be found below.

Health & Safety Guidelines

Fans with medical issues of concern as listed by the CDC are encouraged to enjoy games on television from home this season. LSU Athletics is asking all Tiger fans to adhere to health and safety guidelines as directed by public health officials.

Geaux Safe and other in-stadium policies remain in place for 2020 and LSU officials are asking fans to reduce what they bring to games to help minimize contact points for bag checks. 

Questions

8COMMENTS

Fans with questions regarding any LSU Athletics policy should contact LSU Guest Services at (225) 578-4085 or the LSU Athletic Ticket Office at 225-578-0100 during normal business hours (M-F, 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. CT). This service will also be available before, during and after LSU Athletics events. Follow live updates @LSUgameops on Twitter and with the new LSU Sports Mobile App on Apple and Android devices.

• Like 1