Gameday Tigers

Here We Go!

LSUDad

Start of a new trend? UCLA starter transfers to Baylor to play this fall

Andrew Olson | 16 minutes ago

Jake Burton, a new member of the Baylor Bears, could be starting a trend. Earlier Tuesday, Burton announced he was entering the transfer portal since UCLA would not be playing this fall. Roughly nine hours after that announcement, he found a new home in the Big 12.

Burton started 23 games for UCLA over the past two seasons at right tackle.

00:05
01:23

“I was looking forward to finishing my career with my Bruin teammates,” Burton wrote in his Tuesday afternoon Twitter announcement. “Due to circumstances beyond anyone’s control, that is not possible this year. After much thought, I have decided to enter the portal in hopes of gaining the opportunity to play football this fall.”

According to ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg, the redshirt senior is a graduate transfer, meaning he will have immediate eligibility for Baylor’s fall 2020 season. On Tuesday night, Burton announced his commitment to Dave Aranda’s squad.

The Pac-12, like the Big Ten, has canceled its fall sports season. The NCAA has stated it will not grant immediate eligibility waivers to players leaving a conference that has canceled the fall season.

For SEC, ACC or Big 12 programs to have a Pac-12 or Big Ten transfer suit up this fall, the transferring player would need to be a graduate transfer like Burton. On Tuesday, LSU coach Ed Orgeron said he is looking to add a transfer to help with depth in the secondary this fall.

• Like 1