Gameday Tigers

LSU vs Miss St

Nutriaitch

Regarding sting making enough of a difference, I don't think it can be discounted. 

1. There were interceptions to be made and i bet he gets one. That's potentially a 14 point difference. 

2. If he plays, Ricks opposite side, and Flott in the slot...I like that a helluva lot more than Evans and a guy in Ward that was supposed to be out for this one due to injury. 

• Like 2

And with Stingley out I'm pretty sure even Darren Evans played some. A player who has been with the team all of what? 3 weeks? He's been here such a short period time LSUSports.net doesn't even have a photo for him on the official roster. Again, lots of room for improvement regardless of Stingley playing or not.

And from DandyDon.com this morning. Hope springs eternal?

As for Pelini, a reader reminded me that in his first stint at LSU, he gave up 461 passing yards his first game against Arizona State. That wasn’t a good start, but he went on to build an elite defense that ranked No. 3 nationally in total defense all three years.

On a personal note, this was the first home game in 20 years that I watched from home. I missed the energy that is felt being on campus on game day, especially the first home game. Spoke to a friend of mine who was at the stadium who said their was a "weird" vibe there the whole game.  On to Vandy, much cooler temps here to watch the game out on the patio.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

And with Stingley out I'm pretty sure even Darren Evans played some. A player who has been with the team all of what? 3 weeks? He's been here such a short period time LSUSports.net doesn't even have a photo for him on the official roster. Again, lots of room for improvement regardless of Stingley playing or not.

You didn't see Evans? It's the reason you saw Ward. Evans was the guy early on that couldn't keep up with anybody.

You know the old saying, you can't teach speed? Sorry, but Evans is not an sec player. He simply too slow. He absolutely did play and was very evident that he was out of his element.  Unfortunately, it's not just because hes new to the team and has only been around a couple weeks. He's just slow

• Like 1

We heard our coaches and players talking before the Moo State game about our defense already being ahead of our where our defense was at any point last year.

It’s safe to say Dave Aranda was well-liked during his time at LSU.

The Tigers boasted top defenses every year under his tenure, and he brought a modernized, aggressive and fun defense to Baton Rouge. That’s why it was eye-opening to hear Ed Orgeron say the 2020 defense—under new defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, who takes a more “old school” approach—was “so much better … than any part of the season last year.”

https://www.225batonrouge.com/our-city/sports/tiger-pride-podcast-lsus-defense-already-looking-much-better-last-year

Well, I guess you have to play someone other than yourself to really know if that statement is true.  I'd say our defense Saturday was worse than our defense's "worst" ( Ole goldenshower? ) performance last year.

Edited by Hatchertiger

8 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Regarding sting making enough of a difference, I don't think it can be discounted. 

1. There were interceptions to be made and i bet he gets one. That's potentially a 14 point difference. 

2. If he plays, Ricks opposite side, and Flott in the slot...I like that a helluva lot more than Evans and a guy in Ward that was supposed to be out for this one due to injury. 

they completed passes to 10 different players. 

they can easily have avoided Sting all day and not thrown any picks that way. 

Some combination of Ward/Evans still has to play some. and still gets abused. 

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

I missed the energy that is felt being on campus on game day, especially the first home game. 

there was no energy 

place was empty and dead. 

here is the Stadium about 3 minutes before the team came out the tunnel 

D6E2BDB9-6967-4712-9924-CB336DC57EDC.jpeg

i commented in chat that i’ve been to funerals with more energy and excitement than this game had. 

crowd noise early was piped in through speakers and sounded stupid as hell. 

late in game the crowd tried to get into it and it got loud for how small crowd was, but well you know. 

28 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

because we can’t tackle?

Heck try something. When you are sitting at home reading the last names of your DBs from the back of their jerseys for most of the game, that ain't good. But yes we need to tackle. Todd Harris could have prevented a TD by pushing the WR out of bounds. I think it was Todd?  I had about 20+ people at my house watching the game so there were a few distractions.  I forgot to record the game, maybe that's a blessing in disguise.  Here is the replay schedule not sure if I'm going to watch:

Network Opponent
or Event
Broadcast
Date
Broadcast
Time (CT)
Date
Played
Location Game Type
or Results
Times
CBSSN Mississippi State Mon. 09/28/20 10:00 pm 09/26/20 Baton Rouge L: 34-44 3 hrs
SEC Network Mississippi State Wed. 09/30/20 10:30 am 09/26/20 Baton Rouge L: 34-44 3 hrs
SEC Network Mississippi State Thu. 10/01/20 12:00 am 09/26/20 Baton Rouge L: 34-44 3 hrs
ESPNU Mississippi State Thu. 10/01/20 2:00 pm 09/26/20 Baton Rouge L: 34-44 3 hrs
SEC Network Mississippi State Thu. 10/01/20 8:00 pm 09/26/20 Baton Rouge L: 34-44 3 hrs
Edited by Hatchertiger

10 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

That looks like less people than at 10:00 PM for the McNeese game that was cancelled due to lightening etc. few years back.  COVID really has sucked the life out of many thing.s

remember the ‘08 Troy game?
40° , cold, windy. Down 28 to start the 4th quarter?

yeah the crowd at end of that game was considerably bigger and louder. 

32 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

remember the ‘08 Troy game?
40° , cold, windy. Down 28 to start the 4th quarter?

yeah the crowd at end of that game was considerably bigger and louder. 

Yes I was there. My son's (13 at the time) friend only had a t-shirt and was turning blue by the end of the game. My children could always bring a friend if we had an extra ticket.  The only stipulation was that I don't leave early. Funny how time flies that "kid" is getting married in January and my son is one of the groomsman. We still laugh about that game and how I refused to leave.

• Like 1

Ok here is something positive but subject to debate as to whether it is relevant. Myles threw for 345 yards. JB in 2018 never threw for that many yards in the regular season and yes that includes the 7 OT game vs. A&M. Most yards was vs. Rice, in the second to last game of the season, 20-28 for 307and 2 TDs.  1st game vs. Miami was 11-24 for 140 yards.    Unfortunately we are seeing the effects of a first time starter not having gone through the spring. 

They say that the most improvement a team makes is from the 1st to the 2nd game.  Never truly bought into that because it should apply to BOTH teams right?  Just looking at the score, 17-12,  appears Vany gave A&M all it could handle. Sure hope we play better, scheme better, substitute better, tackle better, cover better, block better, run the ball better, pass protect better, hydrate our players better, run the ball better etc. than we did last week.

• Haha 1

My issue with Myles isn't his physical ability, although i wish he were a little more athletic. 

In that game where Joe was 11-24 for 140 and 0 TDs, we were up early and controlled the whole game.  Joe had been in Louisiana a couple weeks. Not in the program 4 years. 

But the #1  concern I have is... PRIOR to that very game, Joe was scuffling with Miami players on the field,  right in the mix, defending his team ACTIVELY.  He's a leader. Did he have chemistry with his receivers? No. But he had their back and they knew it and it made them play hard for him.  

I don't see that in Brennan, sorry. 

11 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

I don't see that in Brennan, sorry. 

Nope, and the likes of another Joe Burrow suiting up for LSU or anybody else for that matter is slim. He was likely a once in a lifetime QB. 

In any event, its going to have to be Brennan or one of the two true freshman who will have to take the team by the reins.  I honestly don't care who it is, just somebody step up and play!!!!!!!

Edited by Hatchertiger

5 hours ago, Fishhead said:

He'll be ok I think. Not saying he should be benched for a true frosh. But idk if you can learn grit and moxie

You can learn "confidence".  Right now he is under confident.  If he had more confidence, he would probably show more moxie. 

Burrow's 2018 numbers were in a totally different scheme, one we were not impressed with.

by the way, in chat on Sat. when I asked where was Max Johnson, I was kidding folks!!!!

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1