Gameday Tigers

Coaching Changes Thread

LSUDad

On 12/14/2020 at 8:47 AM, LSUDad said:

Like I said, it was told to me, two things. 

Don’t know how long you keep Brady. Brady wants to be Sean Payton! 

That’s it, he’s got to move around, get experience, get back in the NFL. You don’t find many, if any professions that move around like college and Pro Football Coaches. 

On the move? 

Zac Taylor’s job security back in question, per report

In the unlikely event Zac is let go, Joe Brady is a name to watch for.

1278639361.0.jpg

Photo by Kirk Irwin/Getty Images

Zac Taylor may not have completely secured his employment for 2021.

After beating the Pittsburgh Steelers in primetime and the Houston Texans on the road, the buzz surrounding Taylor was that he’d return for a third season. Even if those two wins ended up being losses, there was always a path for the Bengals to give Taylor another year.

image.gif.8c2d77d5349b6e9ff6cf5bbe2b68a993.gif

According to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com, there is smoke that Taylor’s job security was still in question this weekend.

And Panthers offensive coordinator Joe Brady is a name to watch if Taylor gets canned.

In Cincinnati, a definite “we’ll see” vibe has emerged this weekend. Although NFL Media has reported that Zac Taylor is expected to return, there’s a rumor making that rounds that Taylor could be out.

Working against Taylor is the possibility of reuniting Burrow with former LSU offensive coordinator Joe Brady, who currently serves as offensive coordinator in Carolina. The Bengals may need to move now or risk seeing Brady get serious consideration for a head-coaching job elsewhere.

For starters, there’s no reason to outright believe this report. Taylor’s aforementioned wins over the Steelers and Texans undoubtedly gave him a case to show to the front office that progress was indeed being made on his part. Unfortunately, however, this obliterating defeat to the Ravens will now leave a lasting sting on his second season. Taylor’s record dropped to 6-25-1 on Sunday.

Considering the Bengals were heavy underdogs and undermanned in this game, it’s difficult to imagine Taylor’s future was going to be decided by one afternoon, unless Mike Brown and the Blackburns were leaning towards firing him anyways and this became the last straw.

There was ample enough reason to fire Taylor before this past game. His first two seasons already put him in Dave Shula territory, and his offensive line coach allowed his franchise quarterback to suffer a serious injury. The NFL is a win-now business, and Taylor has barely done that against quality teams.

The Bengals were utterly embarrassed by the Ravens. Taylor shouldn’t have had to coach a third victory in a row to save his job, but to be out-classed that poorly does not help him at all.

And if the Bengals were thinking “we’ll see” before Taylor’s maligned and injured roster was crushed by the Ravens, what are they thinking now?

All told, we should still expect Taylor to be back and firmly on the hot seat entering the 2021 season.

Aranda has made a move: 

BYU offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes to accept same role at Baylor

By Sean Walker, KSL.com | UPDATED - Jan. 4, 2021 at 10:16 a.m. | Posted - Jan. 4, 2021 at 9:31 a.m.

PROVO — BYU's offense is prepared to get an overhaul.

The Cougars won't just be breaking in a new quarterback, top wide receiver and most of their offensive line in 2021. They'll also be finding a new offensive coordinator.

Advertise with us
Report ad

Jeff Grimes will take the same position in the Big 12 at Baylor, as first reported by Yahoo's Pete Thamel. The deal, which was confirmed by multiple sources including ESPN, The Athletic and Sports Illustrated, was finalized late Monday morning.

"First of all, Jeff is a high-quality person," said Baylor coach Dave Aranda, a former Utah State assistant who worked with Grimes at LSU. "He is a family man. He is a true ball coach and a fundamental teacher of the game. He coaches a physical offense built on explosive plays in both the pass and run game. There is a strong identity in what he does.

"We will be building to that vision, and I know he will hold our staff and players accountable to that standard. I am excited to welcome Jeff, Sheri and their family to Baylor."

Grimes will also coach tight ends for the Bears, a deviation for the long-time offensive line coach who also worked at BYU from 2004-06 and is not a member of the school's sponsoring faith, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"I am absolutely fired up about joining Coach Aranda's staff and leading the Baylor offense," Grimes said in a statement from the university. "I've known Dave for years and have always admired him as both a coach and person. There's tremendous alignment between what Baylor University stands for and who I am at my core.

"I can't wait to get back home to the great state of Texas and begin working with the tremendous student-athletes and coaches in the Baylor program."

Report: Sarkisian eyes three Alabama coaches for offensive staff

• by Brad Crawford
  • 8 hours ago
9120667.png

Steve Sarkisian is in the process of hiring his first-year staff at the University of Texas and is looking to tap into resources at Alabama for several assistants, Football Scoop reports. Sarkisian is targeting former Crimson Tide offensive analyst AJ Milwee as his quarterbacks coach, according to Football Scoop sources, and wants Alabama assistant Holmon Wiggins to oversee his wide receivers along with Alabama offensive line coach Kyle Flood as his new offensive coordinator and line coach. 

"Milwee spent two years between Akron and Arkansas State as an offensive analyst at Alabama, and is expected to operate hand-in-glove with Sarkisian," writes Football Scoop's Zach Barnett. "While Sarkisian is anticipated to set the offense’s direction and call plays on game day, Milwee will assist Sarkisian in quarterback development and manage the day-to-day aspects of the position."

Alabama's offensive line was the nation's best this season under Flood's tutelage as the winner of the Joe Moore Award. Flood is a former Atlanta Falcons assistant under Dan Quinn and Rutgers head coach. Flood does not have recent experience as a play caller, which could mean Sarkisian controlling the offense himself if that hire takes place.

Alabama tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Jeff Banks is also mentioned as a potential candidate, according to Football Scoop.

Sarkisian was introduced as the new head coach in Austin on Saturday, a day after leading Alabama to a 31-14 win over Notre Dame in the College Football Playoff semifinals. Sarkisian won the Broyles Award this fall as the nation's top assistant, helping fuel the Crimson Tide's offensive efforts to record-setting production with Heisman finalists Mac Jones and DeVonta Smith.

Sarkisian will be on the sideline for the Crimson Tide on Jan. 11 vs. Ohio State in the national championship game. Sarkisian on Saturday thanked Alabama coach Nick Saban for giving him an opportunity on his staff.

“I think now having spent some time in the National Football League and having spent obviously the last two years with Coach Saban here in Alabama, you realize the value in the staff and why you hire such a good staff is to put people in place to do what you’re asking them to do what they’re hired to do,” Sarkisian said. “And in turn, I think that takes some of the burden off of your shoulders as the head coach and allows you to manage people and not overreact to some of the other things that are going on and allow those people to do what they do.”

9120667.png

Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban wished Sarkisian the best and had positive things to say about his record-setting tenure.

“We’ve had a lot of great coaches here, and they’ve done a great job for us, and we’re always happy to see them get opportunities,” Saban said. “That’s what, I think, they work hard for when you’re an assistant, whether you’re an assistant to be the coordinator or a coordinator to become a head coach.

“Sark has done a marvelous job here. He’s very well-organized. He works well with other people in the organization, players and coaches alike. He’s a good play-caller on game day, does a really good job of preparing the players game plan-wise for each and every game. He’s just done a great job, and he’s been a real asset to our organization.

“I think he’ll be very successful as a head coach. He’s taking over a good program, so it’s gonna be challenging for anybody that plays them in the future, I think.”

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

Alabama battles Ohio State on Monday night in the national championship game and Sarkisian will take over at Texas shortly thereafter, he says.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to watch, how much do the players at Alabama make the coordinators and assistant coaches look good?  I've been impressed with Sark's scheme and play calling the last couple of years.  That o-line coach going to Texas is going to miss his NFL caliber o-line.

• 3 weeks later...

For Friday's episode of the Sports Scouting Report Podcast With Lee Brecheen, Lee has a very special guest today as he interviews new Louisiana Monroe head football coach Terry Bowden. Coach Bowden is the son of Hall of Fame Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden, brother of former Clemson head coach Terry Bowden, and brother of former Florida State offensive coordinator Jeff Bowden. Coach Terry Bowden has had a long coaching career at Salem University (1983–1985), Samford University (1987–1992), Auburn University (1993–1998), the University of North Alabama (2009–2011), and the University of Akron (2012–2018) before becoming head coach at ULM.  Coach Terry Bowden talks about the culture he is trying to establish in Monroe, hiring former West Virginia/Michigan/Arizona head football coach Rich Rodriguez as his offensive coordinator, his recruiting philosophy, the rest of his coaching staff, and much more!

https://thesportsscoutingreportwithleebrecheen.podbean.com/e/episode-121-new-louisiana-monroe-head-football-coach-terry-bowden/

• 3 weeks later...