Gameday Tigers

NFL Rookies Of The Year?

LSUDad

NFL Execs Have LSU's Joe Burrow, Patrick Queen as Favorites for Rookie of the Year

Video resumes in 27 seconds.

Glen West

15 hours ago

Joe Burrow and Patrick Queen last won awards at the national championship game back in January. Not only did the duo lead LSU to its fourth title in program history, they were also named offensive and defensive MVP for their performances. 

That trend has carried to the first half of their rookie seasons as both Burrow and Queen are considered by NFL executives around the league to take home Rookie of the Year awards. Sports Illustrated national NFL writer Albert Breer polled 30 executives around the league for various awards and superlatives and Burrow earned 15 first-place votes for Offensive Rookie of the Year while Queen earned 12 first-place votes for Defensive Rookie of the Year. 

Burrow is tied with San Diego Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert, who also earned 15 votes as both have exceeded expectations in their first seasons as NFL starters. Burrow has tossed for 2,272 yards and 11 touchdowns while completing 67% of his passes and faces another tough task against a stout Pittsburgh Steelers defense.

"I see this vote as two things: a tribute to how steady and solid Burrow’s been since being thrown into a rebuilding situation, and a tribute to how many people Herbert has proven wrong as he’s come on. This one should be a fight to the finish," Breer wrote.

As for Queen, the former LSU linebacker has recorded 52 tackles, five, four tackles for losses, two sacks, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, a pass defended and a touchdown.

"I thought this would be Young, who has 17 quarterback pressures in seven games, and already looks like an All-Pro. Then I checked out Queen’s stat line. Baltimore got him with the 28th pick, by the way," Breer wrote. 

Burrow and Herbert were also part of a rookie quarterback class that was voted as one of the surprises of the 2020 season, according to the polled executives. On a shortened offseason with not much chance to get into a great rhythm with his receivers, Burrow has put the Bengals in position to win most of their games this season. 

“How well both Burrow and Herbert have played as rookie QBs (and Tua could bring this to three by end of the year). Don’t usually see two guys come in and play with that much command over an offense.” Another NFC exec echoed that, emailing, “Rookie QBs (Burrow, Herbert, Tua) having early-season success with a virtual offseason, no OTAs and no pre-season games.”

"I'm just scratching the surface on where I can be and where I can go," Burrow said told reporters over the bye week. "So, that's the most exciting thing for me." 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 2:27 PM, Hatchertiger said:

I've always heard its the ACL you don't want to damage. 

screen_shot_2015-03-08_at_65306_pm-14BFC

with today's advancements in medicine, he should bounce back relatively quickly.

I know regular schmucks that came back from ACL/MCL surgery to play amateur sports again.

no, that's obviously not nearly as rigorous as the NFL, but I'm guessing local docs and rehab center ain't exactly  what the NFL uses either

• 2 weeks later...

LSU's Justin Jefferson Furthers Case for NFL's Rookie of the Year Award

Jefferson becomes fifth rookie receiver to surpass 1,000-yard mark in 12 games
GLEN WEST
DEC 6, 2020

Justin Jefferson continues to impress in his rookie campaign and on Sunday he tacked on to his historic season with the Minnesota Vikings. In a 27-24 overtime win over the Jacksonville Jaguars, Jefferson hauled in nine receptions for 121 yards and a touchdown. 

Jefferson broke a number of records en route to another big day at the office. He became the first rookie receiver with the Vikings to pass the 1,000-yard mark since Randy Moss in 1998 and also became one of five receivers ever to surpass the 1,000-yard mark in the first 12 games of the season. 

He joined Odell Beckham, Marques Colston, Anquan Boldin and Moss to complete the feat and has also been the only Vikings rookie to achieve five games of 100+ yards since Moss.  Jefferson now leads the NFL rookies in yards (1,039) and touchdowns (7). 

The rookie has gained praise for his pristine route running, something he was able to show in the slot for the Tigers in their quest towards a national championship in 2019. He recorded 111 catches for 1,540 yards and 18 touchdowns before being selected No. 22 by the Vikings back in April. 

"One, I'm a rookie but I have the mindset of a veteran," Jefferson said before the game against the Jaguars. "I just try to take every game the same and just try to be consistent. I feel like that's one of the hardest things especially as a rookie is being consistent and having those high-yard games week in and week out. Just having defenses really disguise their game around you -- that's crazy. Last game was the first time I have seen a robber (in coverage) in a hot minute. Just seeing that, it (gives) me confidence as well, showing that a defense has to do that to really lock me down."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

Former LSU receiver Justin Jefferson passed Randy Moss for most receptions by a Vikings rookie on Sunday

Jefferson is on a short list for Offensive Rookie of the Year after being the fifth wide receiver taken in the draft

Pro bowler as a rookie... like Thad's dad

• Like 2