Gameday Tigers

Who was better at LSU Jamal Adams or LaRon Landry

Hatchertiger

so, LaLa is probably 5-6 years younger than me.  But i know people that played High School ball against him, and some that had college classes with him. 

Rumor has it that dude is nuts. like legally diagnosed, on pills, gets crazy check, cuckoo. complete psycho. maybe a bit schizo. 

According to legend, starting 48 hours before kickoff, he quits taking his meds. 
so come game time he’s completely off the rails. straight up batshit crazy. should be in an asylum, couyon, dangerously violent.

Can’t say first hand it’s true, but watching him play, it’s believable. 

legit 4.3 speed at 220+ pounds of pure anger and hatred.....fornicate THAT!!!

unless he’s on your team, of course. 

i would pay huge amounts of money to have him in this years roster. 

both from talent and attitude standpoint. 
people feared him.
nobody fears us now.

Spicoli the next year was fun to watch, but Laron.....legendary. 

7 hours ago, houtiger said:

Who's stronger, LaRon. 

agreed

Who's quicker and more agile, Jamal.

i don't know about that one. Laron was a full 10th of a second faster in the 40. that's a LOT.

Who would I take as my safety, Jamal in a heartbeat.  Smarter and more versatile player, and that is why his pro career will be better.

LaRon at LSU was hands down the better player.   And the stats absolutely back it up.

Also there is something to be said about the intimidation factor he brought. Those hard hitting head hunting safeties no longer exist, but when they did, WR (and even QBs) had to constantly keep they heads on a swivel.

Then he started eating steroids like they were skittles and bulked up into a Lou Ferigno type caricature and was no longer anywhere near as athletic as he was coming out of LSU.  All that extra bulk is brutal on your joints so injuries started piling up (as well as suspensions). 

Watch Jamal.  He was much more versatile, watch him in pass coverage, 1-1 with a receiver way down field in the end zone, interception.  I don't think LaRon did that.  Jamal was SMART.  He always seemed to know where he should be, and he did his job on that assignment.  I loved his shoe string tackles on guys outside the pocket running to the sideline.  Zip, they down.  Not as impressive looking as a LaRon beat down, but just as effective.  I think Jamal was the best safety to go through LSU.  And he's gotten better in the pros.  (He was my man crush for a couple of years I think).

nothing against Jamal, i think he was a phenomenal safety. 

but he’s third best (at the highest), maybe even fourth. We have had an absolute embarrassment of riches at that position. 

as far as downfield coverage, LaLa had more than twice as many int at LSU as Jamal did. 

Even if you remove Landry’s Sr year stats (since Jamal left early), he still has more Picks, more sacks, more tackles, more pass breakups.

P.S. now this is the kind of topic i enjoy discussing and debating! keep them coming. 

6 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

did him and Chris Carrier overlap?

Carrier was a stud too. 

Yes Chris "Aircraft" Carrier played form '83-87.   Corey Raymond played at the same time. I played HS football against CC  and his brother Kevin who was an LSU cheerleader. They played for the Euice Bobcats. Chris was more of a FS whereas Rehage was a SS.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:16 AM, Nutriaitch said:

LaRon at LSU was hands down the better player.   And the stats absolutely back it up.

Also there is something to be said about the intimidation factor he brought. Those hard hitting head hunting safeties no longer exist, but when they did, WR (and even QBs) had to constantly keep they heads on a swivel.

Then he started eating steroids like they were skittles and bulked up into a Lou Ferigno type caricature and was no longer anywhere near as athletic as he was coming out of LSU.  All that extra bulk is brutal on your joints so injuries started piling up (as well as suspensions). 

I still think Adams was the better safety, in fact the best I have seen at LSU.  LaRons’ stats are a little better, I’ll give you that.  You know I don’t think stats alone tell the whole tale.  You have to look at the film and see what skills are present.  You also have to look at WHO those stats were put up against, and who else was on your team that helped you compile those stats.

To make the comparison fair, I’ll look only at LaRon’s first three years compared to Adams 3 years at LSU.  LaRon was there 2003, 2004, 2005 (and 2006, but we won’t use that season), Jamal was there 2014, 2015, and 2016.

You say LaRon had more interceptions, but playing safety, they may not be any sort of athletic achievement, or they may.  But I have seen QB’s under pressure overthrow a receiver by a couple of feet, and a safety standing behind the receiver gets an easy pick, totally unathletic achievement, perhaps due more to pressure from the front 4.

Let’s look at the TEAMS THEY PLAYED ON:

LaRon:

2003 – Record 13 – 1, Ranked #1, d-line players drafted – Marquise Hill 2nd round, Chad Lavalais 5th round

2004 – Record 9 – 3, Ranked #16, d-line players drafted – Marcus Spears 1st round

2005 – Record 11 – 2, Ranked #5, d-line players drafted – Claude Wroten 3rd round, Kyle Williams 5th round, Melvin Oliver 6th round

Jamal:

2014 – Record 8 – 5, Unranked, d-line players drafted – Danielle Hunter 3rd round

2015 – Record 9 – 3, Ranked #16, d-line players drafted – None

2016 – Record 8 – 4, Ranked #13, d-line players drafted – Davon Godchaux 5th round

It is obvious that LaRon played on better teams, and had much more talent on the d-line in front of him to put pressure on QB’s.  QB’s under pressure are prone to throw more picks.  So, LaRon’s higher number of interceptions is not only a function of LaRon, he enjoyed advantages that Jamal did not enjoy.

Next you said LaRon was faster, a 4.3 guy, while I said Jamal was more agile.

Below are NFL COMBINE RESULTS, LaRon 213 lbs., Jamal 214 lbs.

LaRon – 40 yd dash – 4.35, 20 yd shuttle – 4.36, 3 cone drill – 7.11

Jamal – 40 yd dash – 4.40 (LSU pro day), 20 yd shuttle – 4.13, 3 cone drill – 6.96

LaRon was only 5 hundreths of a second faster in the 40, but was a full 2 tenths slower in the 20 yd shuttle, and over a tenth slower in the 3 cone drill.  Jamal’s advantage in agility in the shuttle and 3 cone was significantly more pronounced than LaRon’s minimally faster time in the 40.  I’d take Jamal in a heartbeat.

Now let’s look at AWARDS, outside recognition of the players:

LaRon:

2003 – Second team all SEC, First team freshman all American

2004 – Second team all SEC

2005 – First team all SEC, Third team all American

Jamal:

2014 – none

2015 – Second team all SEC

2016 – First team all SEC, Second team all American

LaRon had a better freshman year, but Jamal had a better Junior year on a significantly less talented team that did not garner national attention.

The film doesn’t lie.  In terms of skill, watch the interception by Jamal in the YOUTUBE VIDEO about 8 posts above, look at 1:33 against Arky, that QB is not under pressure, Jamal runs stride for stride with the receiver down the field, turns for the ball and beats the receiver to the ball.  That’s coverage skill, that’s not a gift from the QB under pressure.  That is a big reason why Jamal is valued, and why Jamal made second team all American his junior year playing on a mediocre team, while LaRon only made third team all American his junior year on a #5 team in the national spotlight.  Jamal had skills that LaRon did not have.

In terms of LEADERSHIP, Jamal made permanent team captain (voted after the season) in his junior season, LaRon did not make it his junior year, although he did make it after his senior year.  Jamal received greater respect from the team at an earlier stage of his career. (lsusports.net)

Now let’s go into the NFL just a bit and see how the big boys evaluated the two.

LaRon:

2007 – Redskins, Rookie All Defensive team

2008 – No awards

2009 – No awards

Jamal:

2017 – Jets, PFWA all Rookie Team

2018 – voted a Jets Team Captain, second team all pro, pro bowl, Curtis Martin Team MVP,

2019 – voted a Jets Team Captain, First team all Pro, Pro Bowl, Curtis Martin team MVP, ranked 37th best player in the league by his fellow NFL players.

2020 – before the season, just for good measure, ranked 27th best player in the league by his fellow NFL players.

LaRon Landry was never traded for in the NFL.  He was not re-signed by the Redskins after his 5 year stint, and he was not re-signed by the Jets after one year there.  No trade for LaRon, teams got nothing.

Jamal Adams wanted out of the Jets after they mentioned him in trade talks in 2019 season.  Jamal felt the dedication and loyalty he showed the Jets was not returned and he wanted out.  Here comes Seattle, a contender, so Jamal and a fourth round pick come to Seattle and they send a journeyman safety to the Jets with 2 first round picks and a third round pick.  That looks like 2 first round picks plus a third round pick for Jamal Adams.  LaRon NEVER commanded such value in the NFL.

LaRon was a bigger hitter, but that’s it.  That is not the only factor you make decisions on as to who was better.  Who’s more agile, who’s better in pass coverage skill, who is smarter, who is more of a leader?  It all goes into who is the better player.  LaRon was good, no doubt, eventually making all American.  Jamal was better overall, while playing on lesser teams at LSU, but his value has been demonstrated in the NFL, clearly.  Jamal didn’t just become a great safety after he left LSU, he left LSU as a great safety, and that has been clearly confirmed in the NFL.

Jamal was the better overall player, and it is not even close.

Jamal Adams showed in week one just how good and transformative he can be for the Seahawks defense.

First of all, I will admit I am getting way ahead of myself. One great game by safety Jamal Adams does not truly mean the Seahawks did not give up too much is trading for the player this offseason? Or doesn’t it?

Adams did a bit of everything defensively for the Seahawks in the victory over the Atlanta Falcons in week one. He had a sack, led the team in tackles with 12, had two more quarterback hits and had two tackles-for-loss. But Adams was much more than just statistics.

Jamal Adams brings a kind of energy to the defense that Seattle hasn’t really had since Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman were playing in the secondary for Seattle. Bobby Wagner is a future Hall of Famer at linebacker and is the leader of the defense but he is not the kind of guy that gets other players riled up. Adams does.

More than even Wagner, Jamal Adams gives Seahawks defensive coordinator Ken Norton, Jr. the ability to be more creative. Adams, for instance, sacked Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan on a blitz. Adams also was able to help stack the box on runs after Atlanta had started the game running well.

Maybe Adams won’t have more games where he is clearly the best player on the defensive side of the ball but likely he will. Adams is 25 years old and has already made one First-Team All-Pro team. So yes, Jamal Adams will be worth the two first round picks Seattle gave the Jets in return for Adams.

Jamal Adams needs to be with Seahawks for years

For one, Seattle stinks at making first round selections for some reason. Jordyn Brooks might be different, but L.J. Collier and Rashaad Penny – two recent Seahawks picks – still need to consistently show they can be good.

And back to the fact that Adams is just 25. Seattle is going to have to pay him a lot of money to be a Seahawk for many years to come. Adams is an unrestricted free agent after 2021 and could earn more than $20 million a season. He is that good.

In fact, Adams makes every aspect of the defense better: pass rush, pass coverage, run defense. He is a freakish athlete.

But he is also capable of being the Seahawks defensive leader for several years to come too. Adams made an immediate impression on the quality of Seattle’s defense in week one. He will likely be able to do that for years. Surely, that is worth two first round choices that are and will remain unknown qualities for Seattle.

https://12thmanrising.com/2020/09/15/jamal-adams-worth-two-first-round/

Nobody ever said that about LaRon.  Jamal is better because he always was better.  Jamal is a freakish athlete, not in strength like LaRon, but in quickness, intellect, agility and leadership.  Jamal has the accolades to prove it.

Edited by houtiger