Gameday Tigers

2 Point Conversion with Fish and Nootch-TAMU HATE WEEK

Fishhead

Great job as usual guys!

FH talked about recruiting, and regarding the commitment of Derrick Davis Jr., the #2 ranked safety in the country, I found this interview before his commitment, interesting read and comments from his mother, who is a teacher.  They wished they could have had contact with the coaches, but enjoyed the campus anyhow.

Instead, the weekend allowed Veneassha to view LSU through a different lens. This time, she was able to walk the campus with her son as a regular student, which meant sitting in the LSU Union and talking with students, diving deeper into his potential major and more.

“It was absolutely beautiful,” she said. “There is not one bad thing that I can honestly say other than I wish we could have met the coaches and gotten a chance to meet them in person, but this whole trip gave us a different view. It would have been great to have the full football side, sure, but due to COVID, it didn’t work out. That’s the fun part for the kids when they get in the uniform and take pictures and see the stadium. But we got the chance to tour the campus as a student, as a normal senior going into college. And I will say that as a parent and educator, I appreciated it. Even though things happen the way they did, I got a chance to see life outside of football. And it changed my perspective.”

Davis circled life both on and off the field as a key factor in his decision, which his mother said LSU flashed time and again during their weekend in South Louisiana.

“This trip was totally different than others,” Veneassha said. “We got to go down and spend time in the community. We traveled outside the community. He got a chance to walk around campus like a student. He is interested in engineering, so we took a look at that. He is also looking at majoring in business, so we did the tour of the business school. We walked and talked with students about where their classes are and how they get around. We went to the student union and hung out. We just did regular student stuff. It truly was a breath of fresh air.”

One thing that jumped out: diversity.

“I have not seen a campus that was so diverse,” Veneassha said. “From the diversity of the staff to the diversity of the people working in and around campus and the people jogging the lakes. We just sat there and took it all in. As a mom, Louisiana is far, right? You are giving your son to a university, and wherever he goes, I want him to be safe. And we sat there at LSU looking at the lakes and they are jogging by us young and old, and it didn’t matter the time of day. That was just good to see on a college campus. It gave me a Florida, but a Pittsburgh, vibe. I just felt a whole mix. Other than it being flat (laughing), it’s really similar to home.”

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/LSU-Tigers-football-recruiting-2020-class-Derrick-Davis-Jr-college-decision-visit-recap-154279845/

• Like 1

Either our defense is getting better, or Kellen Mond really sucks.  A bit of both I think.  The o-line still sucks.  Finley threw some great laser passes, but looked lost sometimes also.  Johnson played well at QB, getting some game reps in previous games has helped him settle down a little.  I enjoyed Dan Orlavsky at announcer, said A&M had nobody at receiver that could beat Stingley.  He said the pros would put their worst receiver on great cornerbacks and never throw to them, to sort of waste the great DB's talent.  But, it was not a fun game to watch, after halftime I felt we just didn't have a chance.  The A&M d-line was good, Jimbo has improved their recruiting, and their defensive coordinator has a tricky scheme that we didn't handle well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

Either our defense is getting better, or Kellen Mond really sucks.  A bit of both I think.

definitely both 

DBs played well. Flott played his tail off  

but Kellen Mond  does suck. threw several passes to hotdog vendors in the stands.  Good lord that was some terrible QB play on the field last night (both teams).

• Like 3

On 11/29/2020 at 7:59 AM, houtiger said:

Either our defense is getting better, or Kellen Mond really sucks.  A bit of both I think.  The o-line still sucks.  Finley threw some great laser passes, but looked lost sometimes also.  Johnson played well at QB, getting some game reps in previous games has helped him settle down a little.  I enjoyed Dan Orlavsky at announcer, said A&M had nobody at receiver that could beat Stingley.  He said the pros would put their worst receiver on great cornerbacks and never throw to them, to sort of waste the great DB's talent.  But, it was not a fun game to watch, after halftime I felt we just didn't have a chance.  The A&M d-line was good, Jimbo has improved their recruiting, and their defensive coordinator has a tricky scheme that we didn't handle well.

It's more than Jimbo improving their recruiting. They're full of upperclassmen. That matters so much. 4 seniors on the OL. Do we have any seniors on the team lol?? (I know we have a couple, but the point remains)

Everyone seems to be overlooking #3s improvement and 23s emergence in place of 18. There's vast improvement, but Kellen Mond sucks lol. 

• Like 1

Last year but still LOL.  Tooth Fairy, Big Foot, Santa Claus ... you gotta believe.

"In my opinion I'm the best one," Mond said of the SEC's returning quarterbacks. "That's not just because I'm a confident person. I actually believe that."

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2019/07/23/texas-am-s-kellen-mond-i-m-the-best-qb-in-the-sec/

Something positive from the game from Scott Long;

From Edward: Was it just the sloppy weather or do you think LSU defense has turned a corner?  Lord,  I hope so because the offense, especially, the O-Line, looked woeful.

My Response: That’s a great question, Edward. LSU’s defense had a very strong night and limited a Texas A&M team that averaged 33.3 points to just 13 points (remember, one touchdown was surrendered by the offense on a  pick six). Perhaps more telling is the fact that they held an Aggie team that entered the contest ranked No. 1 in the nation in third-down offense (62%!) to just two conversions in 16 attempts (12%).

• Like 2