Gameday Tigers

True Freshmen contributing to win over Florida

houtiger

To an extent it is a shame we have to count on so many true freshmen in that game.  On the plus side, at least we have some talented true freshmen to count on.  In fact, some look like future stars.

Max Johnson - first start, he looked good.  I was impressed by his running ability, and after watching TJ and Max, I thought on Saturday that Max's ability to run adds a valuable dimension to the team.  It puts a lot of pressure on the defense to account for him.  Star

Kayshon Boutte - I liked what I saw in his solo summer workouts, and he has at least lived up to the promise I saw in him.  Glad Dachsie picked him for her crush.  Star

Eli Ricks - tremendous talent, has gotten better as the season progressed.  Star

BJ Ojulari - good speedrush end.  Has played well all season.  He needs to gain some weight to play the run.  Star

JaQuelin Roy - He's been coming on, getting more playing time, and playing well.  Star

Koy Moore - WR seeing more playing time since Marshall left.

Cole Taylor - without Taylor in the game, does LS Shoe win this one?  He played well for a freshman.

Tre Bradford - he doesn't get that many touches, but his receiving ability looks good.

Dwight McGlothern - he's been playing, played more against Fla. due to injury and ejection.  He played well, he'll learn and get better.  As far as who had to step up the largest degree of step, I think it was McGlothern.  Dwight's ability to come in and hold his own definitely helped with this game.  He didn't have to win every battle, and he didn't.  But he won enough of his battles to keep us in the game.

TJ Finley - didn't play in this game, but he have proven he can start and play.

I don't know, but that's an impressive freshman class so far.  Too bad I can't add Arik Gilbert to the list, I hope he returns next year.

Did I miss anyone?  Whachathink?

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

Dwight McGlothern - he's been playing, played more against Fla. due to injury and ejection.  He played well, he'll learn and get better.  As far as who had to step up the largest degree of step, I think it was McGlothern.  Dwight's ability to come in and hold his own definitely helped with this game.  He didn't have to win every battle, and he didn't.  But he won enough of his battles to keep us in the game.

he won enough for me to question him not seeing field more prior to this

• Like 1

The cool thing, to me, has been to watch these freshmen grow week by week.  The 2 QB's each looked tentative their first few series of downs.  By now, they look pretty comfortable.  Ricks made mistakes early, but he has responded to coaching and he's looking like a sophomore now, same with Ojulari.

58 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Some word we have played 19 True Freshmen this season. 

just researched this, and i believe that is the correct number.

at least 14 of those 19 have played in legit game action.  meaning not just a special teamer, or show up in participation report late in a blow out, etc. but an actual contributor to the team.

Boutte
Ricks
Gilbert
Dwight McGlothern
Koy Moore
Trey Bradford
Ojulari
Finley
Max
Jordan Toles
Marlon Martinez
Kole Taylor