Gameday Tigers

Christmas Came Early-Let's open the presents!

Fishhead

So technically, ESD is actually ESP (early signing period), which runs through Friday.  With that said, I believe the Tigers are done for the early signing period, although there is a little smoke regarding Bryce Langston (profile link below) who may sign with LSU during the ESP. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Bryce-Langston-46050326/

This would bring LSU to 20 signees in the ESP, which is something I wouldn't have believed a little over a week ago.  Coach O said on "Tell the Truth Monday" he expected between 15-20, and he got the 20.  That said, I'm not sure it was the 20 he expected.  

LSU lost a commit to Clemson Saturday night at halftime, and this morning lost another to InbredGumps in Keanu Koht.  This afternoon, InbredGumps flipped another long time Tiger commit in JoJo Earle.  

The silver lining to this is that none of InbredGumps's flips are Louisiana guys, and in fact, LSU nabbed 5 of the top 6 LA players, and still holds a commitment from the 6th of the top 6.  Brian Thomas, Jr will sign in February most likely, but with how LSU did with it's WR haul today, I don't know if he'll remain a priority. 

For every silver lining there's a touch of gray (credit Grateful Dead), and that touch of gray is that LSU signed exactly one OL today.  

But another silver lining is, NOBODY signed #1 OT Tristan Leigh, and what I'd consider the main competition, OU, signed another top OT instead of Leigh today.  Still, I wouldn't bet the farm on Leigh signing with the Tigers.  I'm of the opinion he's waiting for something to happen at or to LSU...or not happen.  It could be Title IX findings to become more clear, or it could be movement in the coaching ranks, particularly OL coach.  So we wait. 

LSU is in on multiple other OL via the transfer portal and I have little doubt they wind up with at least 3, possibly 4.  This is a HUGE area of concern and if they can't get these we're in trouble.  The only saving grace is, I do believe we get some from the OL to return, such as C Liam Shanahan.  He needs to add some to his frame and I'd love to see someone coach these guys up a little faster. 

*Star Power*

LSU landed two 5* recruits in Terrebone's Maason Smith (DT)  and Lafayette Christian's Sage Ryan (S).  

DEFENSE: 

DL: Maason Smith, Landon Jackson

Maason is from down da bayou, and is rated as high as the #1 overall player in the country, depending on recruiting service.  Regardless, a consensus 5*, I would compare him to Jacqueline Roy, who may be more polished, but not quite as athletically gifted as Smith.  Gonna be fun having BOTH of these studs on the DL together for a couple years.

Landon Jackson is from Texarkana, and held offers from the likes of Alabama, TAMU, OU, and Notre Dame.  Some are saying he could be the surprise of the class.  
Welcome to both of these guys!  

LSU still holds a commitment from Savion Jones, also a Louisiana product at WDE.  He will likely sign in February

LB: Greg Penn III, Zavier Carter (not that one), Navonteque Strong

Penn is from Maryland and is prototypical size MLB out of HS at 6'1" 225 lbs.  I don't follow recruiting like I used to so not much to offer except, throughout the crap that's been flying around about LSU lately, Penn has remained positive on social media with tweets such as "This won't last for long, I'm headed to help out, Tigers"

Zavier Carter is an OLB from the Atlanta area, 4* that held offers from Alabama and Georgia amongst others.

Navonteque Strong flipped to LSU this morning from Mississippi State.  The #1 JUCO ILB should be able to contribute immediately, and with the Covid stuff, these JUCO guys...it's like they didn't even play this year.  So we get more eligibility from him than normal.

CB: Demarius McGhee

McGhee was long committed to Tennessee, but LSU was able to flip him late in the game.  So far the only CB in the class, however, I believe there's a player in this signing class that will actually play CB over his stated position. 

S: Sage Ryan, Derreck Davis, Matthew Langlois

Sage Ryan is considered the top S in the country by some, although I believe he'll be a nickel back at LSU...at least to start.  He can come in right away and get reps.  Related to Kevin and Trev Faulk, there was some smoke about a InbredGumps commit, but when he committed to LSU on Nick Saban's birthday, it was a done deal. 

Derreck Davis is a stud safety from Pennsylvania and will be a solid addition to a unit of need.  

Langlois is a 3* from New Iberia, LA and for some reason, looking at him reminds me of Craig Steltz with a haircut!

LSU also has Khari Gee, 3* safety, committed but unsigned.  I'm not sure what'll happen here. 

OFFENSE: 

QB: Garrett Nussmeier

Nussmeier is a high profile 4* pro style QB out of Flower Mound (Dallas area) TX.  One thing I know about him is he is a leader!  He organized a group of recruits to visit LSU this summer during the extended dead period when they could not meet with coaches or tour the facility.  He led the group on a tour of campus and in fact of Baton Rouge.  He is a top 100 (86) overall player in the country, but will likely need to bulk up a little before playing full time SEC ball.  He's not Myles Brennan freshman thin, at 6'2" 185, but still, we'd like to see him add a little weight as he's a pro style pocket guy. 

RB: Armoni Goodwin, Corey Kiner

Kiner has long been committed to the Tigers, and the "Mr. Ohio" inked for the good guys today.  Hope he has some Joe B in him.

Goodwin was committed to Auburn, but Kevin Faulk stayed in contact throughout the process, and when AU fired HC Gus Mahlzan recently, Goodwin did a flip. He's a top 5 RB nationally.

Logan Diggs is still a possibility here, but put off his signing until February.  He's a long time ND commit that recently got an LSU offer.  I don't believe LSU needs a 3rd RB, but there's some talk he could be a LB (Patrick Queen and Devin White both made the switch).  That said, we have a couple other big fish to reel in and we MUST GET OL. 

WR: Deion Smith, Chris Hilton, Malik Nabers, Jack Bech

LSU got a HUGE haul, and that's after losing long time commit JoJo Earle (AKA Tiger Bait) to Alabama.

Deion Smith is a high 4* WR from Mississippi,, signed with the good guys today.  200 meter guy in track, long striding speed, a big play threat.

Hilton is a LA kid from Zachary and is rated JUST below Smith, and is a LA state high jump champion.  Described as "gravity defying", he's gonna be fun to watch.

Nabers flipped to LSU today from Mississippi State.  A Youngsville LA 4*, he is a top 150 guy nationally and brings athleticism to the position.  

Jack Bech (yes, that Bech family) inked with the Tigers today, because that's what Bech's do.  He will likely wind up as a pass catching TE, with his 6'2" 215 lb frame.  Glad he kept it in the family!

OL: Garrett Dellinger

Dellinger is an OT we need, but LSU has to continue recruiting OL or we're in big trouble.  That said, welcome Garrett!

TE: Jalen Shead

I believe we needed a TE anyway with Tory Carter and possibly even Arik Gilbert leaving, and Shead fills the bill.  Ole goldenshower wanted him of course, but he also held an offer from Alabama.  He's 6'4" 240 lbs and has an awesome head of hair. 

Special Teams: Payton Todd

Todd has big shoes to fill, but he's the #1 punter in the country and is very talented.  I love me some ZVR, but Todd is a future NFL punter.  Welcome Mr. Todd.

WELCOME TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

QB: Garrett Nussmeier

Nussmeier is a high profile 4* pro style QB out of Flower Mound (Dallas area) TX.  One thing I know about him is he is a leader!  He organized a group of recruits to visit LSU this summer during the extended dead period when they could not meet with coaches or tour the facility.  He led the group on a tour of campus and in fact of Baton Rouge.  He is a top 100 (86) overall player in the country, but will likely need to bulk up a little before playing full time SEC ball.  He's not Myles Brennan freshman thin, at 6'2" 185, but still, we'd like to see him add a little weight as he's a pro style pocket guy. 

his dad is currently the QB coach for the Cowboys

41 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

they fixed it on 247 which is where I got the info lol.  Did you call Sonny and Shea??

No they get paid to do their job no help from me! I recalled when Langlois committed that I had never heard of his HS nor of any player committing from there to any school. That's why when I read NI I knew it was New Roads.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

St. James DE Saivion Jones ready to put pen to paper and sign with LSU

St. James DE Saivion Jones ready to put pen to paper and sign with LSU

Saivion Jones will sign LSU's 2021 class. (Source: Saivion Jones) 
By Garland Gillen | January 21, 2021 at 10:02 AM CST - Updated January 21 at 6:38 PM 

VACHERIE (WVUE) - LSU signed 20 recruits on early National Signing Day, but Tiger verbal commit {Say-ve-un} Saivion Jones didn’t put pen to paper in December. But don’t worry LSU fans he’ll sign in February with his St. James teammates.

Default Mono Sans Mono Serif Sans Serif Comic Fancy Small Caps
Default X-Small Small Medium Large X-Large XX-Large
Default Outline Dark Outline Light Outline Dark Bold Outline Light Bold Shadow Dark Shadow Light Shadow Dark Bold Shadow Light Bold
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%

St. James DE Saivion Jones fired up to sign with LSU on NSD

“Yeah, yes sir. We came up with that. We just felt that, we all played together, we’re brothers, we should sign together. I though that was a great idea,” said Saivion Jones.

So LSU fans chill out, you’ll still sign with the Tigers in a couple of weeks, correct?

“Yes sir,” said Jones.

Nine signees are on campus for the spring semester, and Jones can’t wait to join them this summer.

“We got a group chat with 2021 commits, and the dudes that are already there. They’re showing what the life is. I’m just getting pumped up, and getting really excited,” said Jones.

When Jones suits up for the Tigers, expect to see an aggressive, relentless defensive end.

“You’re going to see an athlete. A guy that really works in the weight room, that’s a sponge. Whatever you coach, that’s what he’s going to give back. He’s going to be a complete player,” said St. James head coach Robert Valdez.

Jones not only excelled on the football field here for four years. But he’s also playing basketball averaging 15 points a game, and this spring he’ll run track for the Wildcats

• Like 1

Saivion Jones is rated the #5 recruit in the state.  #1 signed with LSU (Maason Smith, DT), #2 signed with LSU (Sage Ryan, S), #3 signed with LSU (Chris Hilton, WR), and now #5 will sign with LSU.  #4 is WR Brian Thomas from Walker and he has not committed but is thought to lean to A&M.  LSU already has 4 strong WR recruits.  I can live with 4 out of the top 5.

National signing day is Wed. Feb 3rd, just 9 days away.  Sure not hearing much about the lasat 5 spots, but jones just took one of them.  I think they would like an OL and LB.  I'm sure they would take Brian Thomas if he wants in.

Edited by houtiger

15 hours ago, houtiger said:

Saivion Jones is rated the #5 recruit in the state.  #1 signed with LSU (Maason Smith, DT), #2 signed with LSU (Sage Ryan, S), #3 signed with LSU (Chris Hilton, WR), and now #5 will sign with LSU.  #4 is WR Brian Thomas from Walker and he has not committed but is thought to lean to A&M.  LSU already has 4 strong WR recruits.  I can live with 4 out of the top 5.

National signing day is Wed. Feb 3rd, just 9 days away.  Sure not hearing much about the lasat 5 spots, but jones just took one of them.  I think they would like an OL and LB.  I'm sure they would take Brian Thomas if he wants in.

O and the staff have been in contact with a few LB’s. More of this right now. But if the right OL comes along. 

5 hours ago, dachsie said:

Anyone else see a red flag?  I hope he does but a part of me feel like we will get burned like we have been so many times before

Nope, no flags here. Sign your class, see what’s in the portal. Look at transfers as of late, at least you see them in a college game, as compared to high school. Remember this, no on campus camps, so recruiting has changed. This year, too much in college football has changed. 

Maason Smith making strong early impression

BySONNY SHIPP 35 minutes ago 

LSU’s football offseason has already kicked into high gear with strength and conditioning coach Tommy Moffitt overseeing the program. Moffitt joined former LSU center and current ESPN 104.5 FM morning show host T-Bob Hebert on Friday and outlined the team’s plans heading into February.

Moffitt said they have two groups of guys involved in the offseason program – the group who is still rehabbing from bumps, bruises and injuries related to the season that ended on Dec. 19, and the guys who are physically ready to go. The latter is benching, squatting, dead lifting, power cleaning and running.

Coming off a 5-5 season that ended on a high note with two straight victories against Florida and Ole Piss, Moffitt expected the Tigers to have a great attitude. So far, he has yet to be disappointed.

“It’s phenomenal,” he said. “When you get your nose rubbed in the dirt, you have a little edge about you … When you win and you’re successful, you think everything is great. And sometimes you have to get your nose rubbed in the dirt.”

LSU welcomed nine early enrollees to campus in January from its 2021 signing class currently ranked No. 4 in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. The group included three players on offense, five on defense and one on special teams.

The highest-ranked signee is five-star defensive tackle Maason Smith, who is ranked No. 2 nationally at his position and No. 19 overall. With those rankings come high expectations and Smith has already made a strong early impression.

“Maason has great flexibility,” explained Moffitt. “I like to compare current freshmen to former players when they were freshmen. Tyson JacksonMichael Brockers, the size he (Maason) has, he’s got more flexibility than those guys had and he’s probably leaner than they were at this time. So, he’s got a great head start on some guys who were pretty good here.

“Now, I don’t want to put pressure on him and say he’s going to be better than Michael Brockers or better than Tyson Jackson, but when you look at him physically, and structurally how he’s put together, he’s got phenomenal flexibility and he’s in good shape right now.”

247Sports national recruiting analyst Gabe Brooks is not surprised to see the 6-foot-5, 315-pound Smith make early waves, per his scouting report on Louisiana’s top-ranked prospect.

"Impressive size that is definitely college-ready. Tall and broad, an imposing figure on the defensive front. Size and functional athleticism allow for position- and scheme-versatile roles. Mass manifests in impressive functional strength that fuels disengaging ability. Packs point-of-attack punch. Has some nuance from a move-set standpoint. Senior year shows more consistent hand violence and activity. Moves well enough for a bigger interior defender to give him some lateral range. That movement ability reflected in multiple testing scenarios earlier in high school career, including an encouraging 4.69 short shuttle at 316 pounds.

"Naturally, high center of gravity affects pad level and leverage consistency. Can improve redirecting ability and body control. Physical floor is extremely high but limits physical ceiling. Elite defensive line prospect in the 2021 class. Seems like a particularly high-floor D-line prospect who could play early, meaningful snaps, with a long-term potential in the early rounds of the NFL Draft."

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I saw this on Dandy Don's site today, DANG, how good of an athlete is this Chris Hilton?  He sounds freaky athletic to me. 

In other news, you probably already know LSU football wide receiver signee Chris Hilton of Zachary High is a state champion in football. Well, he’s also now a state champion in track and field. As 247Sports writes in this article, Hilton won the Louisiana Class 5A finals in both the high jump and the 400-meter dash this past weekend. In the 400-meter dash, Hilton clocked a personal best 47.50 to secure the outdoor state title. His winning high jump came at 6-07.50 and solidified back-to-back wins in the indoor and outdoor seasons.

Another update from Dandy Don.  I like those track guys in our secondary.

Yesterday, I gave props to LSU wide receiver signee Chris Hilton for winning the Louisiana Class 5A finals in both the high jump and the 400-meter dash. What I failed to mention is that LSU safety signee Matthew Langlois won the 1A 100m state title with a blazing speed of 10.79. As you can see here, the race wasn’t even close. (See video.) Langlois may very well be the most underrated, overshadowed member of the LSU signing class.

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

I'm ok with Hilton having to run 100 yard b/c he's on offense, let's hope Langlois isn't chasing people for 100 yards on  regular basis LOL.

Agreed.  I see those receivers put a fake on a CB, and he gets a yard or two of separation.  It take a mighty fast CB to make that up.

• Like 1