Gameday Tigers

Staff changes

Fishhead

Ok, tons of items coming out. Two DC names have been given out early, to me,  both really good.

One has short time in the NFL, then major college. 

The other, young up and coming coach. He’s king of like a young Aranda. Who has improved his defense every year. Their bowl game might tell us more. 

How O goes, anyone’s guess. 

A few other items have hit. First Barn has the HC at ULaff turn them down. Plus a few more. We will see how this one turns out. 

At Zona St, Offensive line coach Dave Christensen has announced his retirement. Who is on that staff, Kevin Mawae, he and Herm were reunited.
On that staff two years ago, Sam Bennett, Ex-LSU DC Phil’s son. Sam spent one year on the NFL Zona Cardinals staff. Sam is now the OL coach at Hawaii. Does O try to get Mawae back to La? 

Lots of house cleaning. Remember O trusts John Robinson’s opinion. But with anything, the right fit. 

Fish, I was looking for your post of DC you wanted, help me out here. Thanks

Edited by LSUDad

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

Wish I could convince somebody to pay me millions of dollars for sucking at what I do LOL.

I'd come out of retirement for that!  I had someone ask me if I would consider going back to work.  I said, yea, but I don't want to work very hard, and I want to be paid a lot of money.  I'm still lookin, but haven't found that gig yet!

Seems like O should have to pay part of Pelini's buyout by taking a million dollar a year pay reduction for a couple of years.  He got a huge raise last year for winning the natty, base salary of $6 million, total deal to 7 mil I guess with bonuses for winning titles.

Edited by houtiger

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Wish I could convince somebody to pay me millions of dollars for sucking at what I do LOL.

After the BP Oil Spill, I was offered a job to sit in an office, to help oversee with the cleanup. $65-70/hr. I passed. Didn’t need the money, didn’t want to spend the time. 

Many coaches are just now getting paid, years ago, not so much. How much is it worth to you to move 4 and 5 states over, change kids schools, churches, make new friends at every stop? Too much goes into being fired. 
When Jimbo Fisher was at LSU, he was offered the MooU job before Croom, he called a friend of mine, whom he had worked with, asking about Starkvegas. My friend said, turn it down, wait for something better. He did. Stark Vegas is the land of opportunity, folks get the opportunity, they move! Remember Skips jokes, many are true! 

Speaking of, I was talking with a coach the other day about the better college DC, this was before all this went down. Now he had played college  football and coached for a number of SEC schools. 

He likes Brent Ventables (Clemson), you know the guy that LSU put up 42 points, 628 yards, 463 passing yards. Could have scored more, took a knee at the 5 yard line, etc. Zero turnovers. Yea, that guy. Were we really that good? Is Brent that bad? 

He likes Brent Ventables (Clemson), you know the guy that LSU put up 42 points, 628 yards, 463 passing yards. Could have scored more, took a knee at the 5 yard line, etc. Zero turnovers. Yea, that guy. Were we really that good? Is Brent that bad? 

never judge any coach by just one game. 

7 hours ago, LSUDad said:

After the BP Oil Spill, I was offered a job to sit in an office, to help oversee with the cleanup. $65-70/hr. I passed. Didn’t need the money, didn’t want to spend the time. 

I had that job offer and also turned it down. 

Instead wound up in Chicago for 12 months which led to a management opportunity that brought me immediately to Knoxville for 13 months. Worked out better for me in the long run with a staff position with a Fortune 50 company which I left after 4 years with my pick of assignments thanks to the resume building I had done. 

That said, Brent Venables is a great DC 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I had that job offer and also turned it down. 

Instead wound up in Chicago for 12 months which led to a management opportunity that brought me immediately to Knoxville for 13 months. Worked out better for me in the long run with a staff position with a Fortune 50 company which I left after 4 years with my pick of assignments thanks to the resume building I had done. 

That said, Brent Venables is a great DC 😂

Had dinner with an Auburn guy tonight, they not happy. 

9 hours ago, Fishhead said:

With Harsin?? Why not?

Many wanted Cristobal or Napier. I think a good hire. How he fills his staff, will tell. 

Remember Saban didn’t bring anyone from Mich St. Les kept Jimbo and Searels, trying to remember all this. Jimbo mostly parted ways with many, if not all for Fla St in his move to aTm. 

Once O got the job, he moved a few out. 

Once Jimbo got the aTm job, a friend said he asked if a couple coaches were coming with him from Fla St, his reply, “Nope, it was time, time to part ways!” Assistant Coaches have a shelf life also. 

The LSU jobs have to be pretty attractive IMO.  With last years class and the experience they got, and this years class coming in, who would not want to take on that challenge for 2021?  You will have the raw material to work with, except maybe the o-line, depending on how we finish this class and transfers.  Yes you are in the SEC west and that is not easy, but you will get to showcase what you can do.  I would think O has an impressive list of folks interested in jobs coaching our team next season.

Potential defensive coordinator replacements for Bo Pelini at LSU

Jimmy Smith • TigerDetails
Publisher/Analyst

LSU and seasoned defensive coordinator Bo Pelini are parting ways after one-year as the Tigers defensive play-caller, opening the door for new blood in Baton Rouge. 

In the early stages of the search a few things are certain: Ed Orgeron wants to hire someone that can connect with the players. He wants the next hire to have clout that carries weight on the field and on the recruiting trail. Orgeron knows he needs to get this hire right.

Here is an early list of candidates that could fit the bill for LSU. Ed Orgeron, like many coaches, likes to hire within his circles to ensure personalities mesh. There's no reason to believe that practice will change this go-around. 

Cincinatti defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman--Kareem Elgazzar/The Enquirer for The AP

Cincinatti defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman--Kareem Elgazzar/The Enquirer for The AP (Kareem Elgazzar/The Enquirer for The AP)

Marcus Freeman:

This is the hottest name in the country in terms of young defensive coordinators who appear to be on the verge of taking the next steps to further their careers. Freeman has been stellar as the DC at Cincinnati while also doubling as the linebackers coach. He is a passionate coach, and at the young age of 34, would certainly be able to connect with his players. 

The biggest issue here would be that LSU and Ed Orgeron do not appear to have any ties to Freeman. Will Orgeron want to risk hiring a coordinator he is unfamiliar with after the Bo Pelini debacle? 

New Orleans Saints defensive line coach/running game

New Orleans Saints defensive line coach/running game (Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports)

Ryan Nielsen: 

This may not be the hot name, or even one many are familiar with, but Saints defensive line coach Ryan Nielsen checks a lot of boxes. He is considered to be an elite defensive line coach, has a proven track record, played and coached for Ed Orgeron, has an NFL pedigree and is ready to take the next step in his career. He does not have a ton of defensive coordinator experience, last recorded stint at the position was in 2008-2009 at Central Connecticut State. With that said, he has extensive experience as the defensive running game coordinator during his career. 

LSU has an experienced secondary coach in Corey Raymond that could assist on the coverage aspect of things, or even serve in a co-DC role, although that situation is generally not considered to be ideal. But it just may work in this scenario.

Kris RIchard--Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

Kris RIchard--Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports (Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports)

Kris Richard:

Richard's name surfaced last year during the search and will likely be brought up again. He has extensive experience in the secondary and was defensive backs coach, defensive play caller & passing game coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys in 2018-2019. Hiring Richards and pairing him with Corey Raymond in the secondary, along with strong hires at defensive line and linebacker could be a good blend for LSU, but it may not be ideal. 

Richard did not coach this season after being vocal about not wanting to accept anything less than a coordinator position after being offered jobs as a secondary coach. It was just yesteryear that Richard was one of the hottest names in all of coaching. 

Atlanta Falcons d-line coach and run game coordinator Tosh Lupoi--Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Atlanta Falcons d-line coach and run game coordinator Tosh Lupoi--Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports (Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

Tosh Lupoi:

The former Alabama defensive coordinator is currently the defensive line coach and run game coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons following a year as the Cleveland Browns defensive line coach. He has bounced around quite a bit over the years, but was an extremely effective recruiter on the collegiate ranks and has extensive experience coaching the front seven. Lupoi does not seem like the most likely of options, but he does check quite a few boxes.

Former Vanderbilt HC Derek Mason--Christopher Hanewinckel - USA TODAY Sports

Former Vanderbilt HC Derek Mason--Christopher Hanewinckel - USA TODAY Sports (Christopher Hanewinckel - USA TODAY Sports)

Derek Mason:

Mason's name has popped up just about everywhere in the days after the news about Pelini broke, and some of it makes sense. Mason knows the conference, had success as a defensive coordinator at Stanford prior to his stint at Vanderbilt and he is considered to be a likable guy that gets along well with his players. Mason is a high energy guy that can be effective recruiting as well. However, he is not the most proven of candidates in terms of being a defensive guru or mastermind, but he does have 6 seasons of head coaching experience in the SEC, which has to carry some weight. 

Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding--Mickey Welsh, Montgomery Advertiser for The AP

Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding--Mickey Welsh, Montgomery Advertiser for The AP (Mickey Welsh, Montgomery Advertiser for The AP)

Pete Golding: 

This one sounds good on the surface, but it does not make a ton of sense when you break it down. The Alabama defensive coordinator has experience running multiple fronts on the college level, with his 4-2-5 defense at UTSA catching the eye of Alabama coach Nick Saban for its attacking style and ability ot handle the spread attacks prevalent in today's game. For Golding, this move only makes sense if he desires to come back to Louisiana, his native state, and wants to get from under the Nick Saban shadow in hopes of growing into a head coach. The problem with that is most of Saban's coordinators become head coaches.

Wisconsin defensive coordinator Jim Leonard--Mark Hoffman-USA TODAY NETWORK

Wisconsin defensive coordinator Jim Leonard--Mark Hoffman-USA TODAY NETWORK (Mark Hoffman-USA TODAY NETWORK)

Jim Leonard:

This hire may be a stretch, simply based on the perception that Leonard will be difficult to pry away from Wisconsin. Money may not do it, based on Leonard's career earnings in the NFL. We haven't been able to connect the dots between Leonard and Orgeron either, which is another hurdle LSU would have to clear. 

Leonard is considered to be one of the nation's premier assistant coaches. He made just short of $1-million this past season, which LSU could easily exceed, but as noted, money is not believed to be the major motivator for Leonard. This one may take one heck of a sales job by the LSU brass if they elect to pursue the sought after coach. 

Barry Odom as the head coach at Mizzou--Timothy Tai, Mizzou Athletics

Barry Odom as the head coach at Mizzou--Timothy Tai, Mizzou Athletics (Timothy Tai Mizzou Athletics)

Barry Odom:

This hire would make a lot of sense based on experience, knowledge of the conference and ability as a defensive coordinator. Barry Odom currently serves as the Arkansas assistant head coach, defensive coordinator and safeties coach. He also has extensive experience as a linebackers coach, which is considered his strength. 

There may not be a ton of ties to Ed Orgeron, but one would think that there would familiarity of sorts based on their extensive careers in the business. Odom's players enjoy playing for him, always take on his toughness and he is known as a strong recruiter. Odom checks a lot of boxes. 

qf93yq8u8ig5ftkwdgqh

Will Muschamp:

It felt as unlikely when it was typed as it was when you read it. But for all intent and purposes, Muschamp has a proven track record on defense in the SEC, is familiar with Orgeron and LSU, so you have to put him on this list, right? Muschamp runs a multi-front defense, likes to attack with his defensive front and is available. He is also getting paid to sit at home, so how interested will he be to jump right back in the saddle in another high pressure situation? But this hire would feel very similar to the recycling of Bo Pelini and is likely to leave the fanbase wanting more.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Sources: #LSU Has Been In Contact With Former #Vandy Head Coach Dereck Mason For The DC Opening!

Thoughts? 

Not a clear win to me.  We can't see what he has done lately.  Pelini had not been directly responsible for the defense in a while, we had not seen exactly what he would do.  A lot of Pelini's former LSU players came out in favor of his hire, thought he would do a good job, shows that they don't always know the best.  I would rather see a current DC with a recent track record, then I think you know more what you are buying.

LSU offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger will move from on-field coaching, towards an analyst role. 

Talking with someone today, where does Steve go from here. Many colleges are moving by way of NFL teams, with all the analyst. In the NFL you see a Senior Offensive Assistant, that job with the Saints is held by Curtis Johnson. Johnson with over 30 years coaching experience in college and Pro. Is that the direction? 

The coach I was talking with that called me, has moved around much like Steve, they both have coached at a number of the same schools. They have recruited and coached against each other at a number of stops.