Gameday Tigers

Staff changes

Fishhead

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

From an outsider who does not know any coaches, this does not look like an impressive hire.  I can imagine that O knows him because O was a d-line coach for the Saints, but his resume is not impressive to me.  That is not the only thing that counts, but it would look better if the resume was stronger.  He might work out to be great, but if he doesn't O is gonna take a lot of heat, and deservedly so.  You would think that a lot of good DC's would like to come to LSU and coach our talent.

i mean we hired a HC with a much shittier resume than this guy’s. 

4 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

i mean we hired a HC with a much shittier resume than this guy’s. 

At least O had been an interim head coach twice at major universities and immediately improved the team performance and morale.  Neilsen, I don't see that progression on his resume.  I said the resume is not the only thing you can look at and judge, maybe he's the next big thing.  Maybe O sees something in him.  But if O gets this one wrong, it is going to be bad for O.  If we hire him, I hope he goes on to do great things for us.  I saw a better chance for O to work out, than for Neilsen. 

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

At least O had been an interim head coach twice at major universities and immediately improved the team performance and morale.  Neilsen, I don't see that progression on his resume.  I said the resume is not the only thing you can look at and judge, maybe he's the next big thing.  Maybe O sees something in him.  But if O gets this one wrong, it is going to be bad for O.  If we hire him, I hope he goes on to do great things for us.  I saw a better chance for O to work out, than for Neilsen. 

Neilsen must have been a good choice considering how Sean Peyton  wouldn't release him and made his assistant head coach

• Like 1

12 hours ago, houtiger said:

we’ve had this discussion before. 

interim stints mean jack shyte.  
you are responsible for maybe 1/10th of what a full time HC is responsible for. 

Nielsen is (and has been) on an upward trajectory. 
has college DC experience, Recruiting Coordinator experience, and routinely has the best DLine in NFL now. 

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

we’ve had this discussion before. 

interim stints mean jack shyte.  
you are responsible for maybe 1/10th of what a full time HC is responsible for. 

Nielsen is (and has been) on an upward trajectory. 
has college DC experience, Recruiting Coordinator experience, and routinely has the best DLine in NFL now.

O has proven his worth by putting together the greatest season in LSU history, 7 wins over top 10 teams and an undefeated national championship season.  Nobody cares what he did at Ole Piss, it was ancient history.  He improved, and showed the promise for the AD to turn the keys over to O for 4 years.  His recruiting classes have been excellent, consistently.  He missed on some coordinator selections, but he brought in Brady and FINALLY transformed the offense into a modern one.  Then he lost 19 starters and Brady and Aranda and had a tough season, lost his Jr. QB to injury and had to play most of the year with a true freshman at QB, which is a negative any way you look at it.  We ended 5-5 in the SEC, not great, but considering what we lost, not bad either.  Interim stints are meaningful.  They speak to some of the most important aspects of coaching, the ability to lead, to improve morale quickly on the fly, to change schemes meaningfully to things that will work from things that are not working well and at a pace of change that the players can absorb.  Those abilities are extremely important and it is a set of skills people could see that O had, twice in succession at USC and LSU.  That is way more than 1/10th of what a HC is responsible for.  Add to that O's ability to recruit, which has never been questioned, and you had to consider him for the HC job.  To date, he has lived up to it well.  Not perfect, he has made mistakes, but every head coach does.  Saban hired Applewhite as OC, fired him a year later.  The question for O, for me, is how does he recover from 2020.  In 2021 we have a lot of experience returning, especially on the lines.  Receivers and QB's will still be young. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

If we gonna talk resumes, Joe Brady’s comes to mind, once hired at LSU. 

That's true, from his resume, you would not have expected him to have the impact that he had on LSU.  On the other hand, Brady did luck into a great situation.  He had Joe Burrow, JaMarr Chase, Justin Jefferson, Terrace Marshall, Moss at TE, and Edwards-Helaire.  They were loaded, just needed a better scheme.  Brady brought the Payton system.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, houtiger said:

That's true, from his resume, you would not have expected him to have the impact that he had on LSU.  On the other hand, Brady did luck into a great situation.  He had Joe Burrow, JaMarr Chase, Justin Jefferson, Terrace Marshall, Moss at TE, and Edwards-Helaire.  They were loaded, just needed a better scheme.  Brady brought the Payton system.

The return of 22 starters will help this next season. Let’s see what they can do. OL and DL should help, big time. 

4 hours ago, LSUDad said:

The return of 22 starters will help this next season. Let’s see what they can do. OL and DL should help, big time. 

One thing that concerns me is Myles Brennan health.  I saw a comment from O within the last two weeks, that Brennan was 80 - 85%!  I hope he had surgery, because if he did not, that's the slowest recovery I've heard of where surgery was not required.

2021 has to be better than last year.  The linemen that did not go to the NFL will have multiple years of experience, so we won't be young up front.  We need to improve a lot at LB and safety.

8 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

i wouldn’t cry if this one fell through

Yes, he's an unknown to us.  His time in the NFL indicates he has value, clearly he is good at something.  But, we won't know what we have until after the first game.  It could work out fantastic, or not. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, houtiger said:

Yes, he's an unknown to us.  His time in the NFL indicates he has value, clearly he is good at something.  But, we won't know what we have until after the first game.  It could work out fantastic, or not. 

wait....wasn’t you complaining about Nielsen?

there is no comparison between the two (resumé wise).