Gameday Tigers

Staff changes

Fishhead

Blake Baker

POSITION

Defensive Coordinator / Inside Linebackers

Blake Baker is entering his second season as defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach, having joined the Miami Hurricanes staff in January 2019.

In his first season at The U, Baker coordinated a defense that ranked No. 13 nationally in total defense (yards allowed per game) and No. 12 nationally in yards per play allowed. In addition, the Hurricanes ranked No. 4 nationally in tackles for loss, No. 6 in sacks, No. 10 in run defense, No. 16 in red zone defense and No. 18 in pass defense.

Four Hurricanes on Baker’s side of the ball earned All-ACC recognition: cornerback Trajan Bandy, linebackers Michael Pinckney and Shaq Quarterman and defensive end Greg Rousseau. In addition to earning all-conference honors, Rousseau was named ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year after tying for second place in single-season sacks at Miami with 15.5 in his first season as a starter. He also was named a Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) second-team All-American.

Prior to arriving in Coral Gables, Baker spent the previous four seasons as defensive coordinator at Louisiana Tech. Under Baker’s direction, the Bulldogs defense ranked among the nation’s best in several categories. In 2018, Louisiana Tech was fourth nationally in team sacks (3.46 per game), 12th nationally in team tackles for loss (7.8) and 33rd nationally in turnovers gained (22). Louisiana Tech ranked 25th nationally in opponent yards per play (4.9) this past season, as the Bulldogs’ stout defensive unit was led by All-America defensive end Jaylon Ferguson, who ranked second in the nation in tackles for loss (26.5) and led the country in sacks (17.5).

Baker, 36, replaced Diaz as defensive coordinator at Louisiana Tech when Diaz accepted the same position at Mississippi State for the 2015 season. Baker worked under Diaz as safeties coach at Louisiana Tech in 2014, and also was a two-year graduate assistant (2011-2012) under him during Diaz’s time as defensive coordinator at Texas.

Baker went to Arkansas State after spending 2010 through 2012 as a defensive graduate assistant coach at Texas. He worked closely with both the Longhorns’ linebackers and defensive backs, two position groups that included eight All-Big 12 selections over the last two years. He also helped coach All-America linebacker and Lott Trophy finalist Emmanuel Acho and cornerback Quandre Diggs, the 2011 Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year.

He was a part of the Texas coaching staff in 2011 that led the Longhorns to a No. 11 national ranking in total defense, yielding just 306.8 yards per game. The 2011 Longhorns’ defense also ranked among the top 20 teams in the nation in rush defense (96.2 yards per game), pass efficiency defense (111.0) and tackles for loss (7.4 per game).

Texas won 17 games in Baker’s two years on the coaching staff, including a 21-10 victory over California in the 2011 Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl and a 31-27 win against Oregon State in the 2012 Valero Alamo Bowl.

Prior to joining the Texas staff, Baker spent the 2009 season as a wide receivers coach at Clear Springs High School in Houston, Texas, before taking over duties as linebackers coach the following spring.

The Houston native was a four-year letterman and three-year starter at Tulane from 2000-04, helping lead the Green Wave to a win in the 2002 Hawaii Bowl. He earned his bachelor’s degree from Tulane in 2008.

Baker is married to the former Roslyn Jones of Mandeville, La., and the couple has a daughter, Anderson, and a son, Byron.

• Like 1

Word out, DL Coach hired: 

Andre Carter
Andre Carter
Carter with the Patriots in 2013
Position: Defensive End
Personal information
Born: May 12, 1979(age 41)
Denver, Colorado
Height: 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)
Weight: 260 lb (118 kg)
Career information
High school: Oak Grove
(San Jose, California)
College: California
NFL Draft: 2001 / Round: 1 / Pick: 7
Career history
As player:
As coach:
  • Like 1

below is a very interesting interview with Mike Scarborough and Buddy Songy, about the coaching changes at LSU.   They talk about the problems with the team last year, and imply that Stingley had an issue with Pelini.  Mike derisively says Pelini came in at 9, left at 4, and played a lot of golf.  Sounds to me like the players didn't think he was committed, so why work hard?  They talked about rumors that Ricks might leave.  Buddy said it sure was not about lack of playing time, so it was something else.  Buddy said they "talked" to Ricks about his showboating after his picks, and Eli didn't like the way he was talked to.  They talked about the generational divide between last years coaching staff and this years, average age will come down for the coaches that were replaced, from 57 to 43.  Buddy said Saban can scream at his players because he has 7 championship rings, not Bo.  Also said the team was out of shape last year, some of the linemen need to lose some weight.   It's an hour, but if you are real interested in the team, I found it to be an hour well spent.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 2

Coach O getting some credit for this hire:

The latest hire by Coach O is another great example of his ability to find great assistants.

Former defensive coordinator joins LSU football’s staff as an analyst

Football Scoop reported on Monday that LSU is hiring former Wofford defensive coordinator Sam Siefkes to serve as a lead analyst.

Siefkes was hired at Wofford in early 2018. Under his direction, Wofford’s defense ranked No. 12 in total defense in 2018. They ranked No. 20 in total defense in 2019 (Wofford didn’t play in 2020).

https://deathvalleyvoice.com/2021/02/01/lsu-football-ed-orgeron-makes-shrewd-defensive-hire/

• Like 1

LSU DL coach Andre Carter shares how he turned down Ed Orgeron's recruiting pitch at USC

Keith Farner | 13 minutes ago

Ed Orgeron made his name as an assistant coach as a recruiter. Especially at Southern Cal to bring in defensive linemen, and there weren’t many prospects who turned him down, but one of them is now coaching with him at LSU.

New defensive line coach Andre Carter was introduced to the media on Tuesday and shared a candid story about how he turned down Orgeron and USC to play at Cal.

“That’s a dad question, Rubin Carter, you’ll have to ask my dad that,” Carter said with a laugh. “My dad said, ‘You ain’t going to USC,’ so I was like all right, you called it.”

Father may know best. After all, Rubin Carter played defensive tackle for the Miami Hurricanes from 1971-74 and for the Denver Broncos from 1975-86 before coaching in the NFL and college levels through 2015.

Andre Carter was a first-round NFL draft pick who played in the NFL for 13 seasons. He’s spent the last four years coaching in the NFL where he coached the defensive lines for the New York Jets the previous two seasons, and the the Miami Dolphins for two years before that.

Asked about Orgeron’s comments earlier Tuesday about getting more involved in the defense, and his background as a defensive line coach, Carter welcomed the idea.

“In general, I’ve always been a team player,” he said. “We both have a passion for defensive line. If anything, I’m learning from him. Here’s a man who’s been in the game for such a long period of time and hopefully I’m blessed enough to coach for as long as he has. It’s just an understanding of our roles, understanding of the foundation. But one thing that we do have in common is that we want to win and we’re very hard on our players. One thing we love is we both love watching film, and so it’s a great connection to have such a guy that’s so heavily involved in the defense because he takes pride in it. What coach who’s played it and now coached it does not want a guy like that, because that’s something he enjoys and brings energy and you want to continue to work hard for him and continue to be successful.”

Former LSU assistant Bill Busch lands new coaching job

SDS Staff | 2 hours ago

The coaching overhaul made this offseason by Ed Orgeron down in Baton Rouge resulted in some significant changes for the LSU coaching staff.

Both coordinators (Steve Ensminger and Bo Pelini held those roles in 2020), the passing game coordinator (Scott Linehan) the defensive line coach (Bill Johnson) and safeties coach Bill Busch have all left the program.

Now we know where Busch has landed as the former Cornhusker is returning to Nebraska according to Bruce Feldman of The Athletic. Busch will reportedly serve as an analyst for Scott Frost’s Nebraska program.

Busch arrived in Baton Rouge for the 2018 season and coached several standout defenders for LSU including Grant Delpit, Jacoby Stevens and Kary Vincent Jr. for the Tigers.

While he was a defensive coach, Busch’s greatest contribution in Baton Rouge came with his role in recruiting Joe Burrow to LSU.

Busch played for Nebraska Wesleyan but previously served on the Nebraska coaching staff on multiple occasions.

• Like 1

I liked Bill Busch while he was here.  The safeties played well except in 2020.  I kept seeing Bill Busch recruited some high profile kids, and that is always important.  He and Aranda coached together previously, so he was an Aranda guy.

I did wonder when he came here, do we really need a coach just for the safeties?  It never appeared to me that our safety play suffered under Corey Raymond.  But, I figured Dave Aranda knew what he was doing, the team did well, so I just went with the flow.

I don't know what happened in 2020.  We had a lot of talent in the secondary, and most of it was veteran enough.

Oh well.  I wish Bill Busch success.

• Like 2

Report: Tennessee targeting current LSU assistant for defensive coordinator position

Adam Spencer | 26 minutes ago

In 2020, Blake Baker was the defensive coordinator for Miami, but then he left to take the LB coach job at LSU earlier this offseason.

Now, it seems Baker could be in the mix to return to the rank of “coordinator” as he’s reportedly in the mix for the open Tennessee defensive coordinator position.

Per Tennessee insider Jimmy Hyams, Baker has been offered the job under first-year Tennessee coach Josh Heupel:

So, would this be a popular hire on Rocky Top? Well, don’t count on it. As our Michael Bratton tweeted, Miami coach Manny Diaz was planning to take Baker’s play-calling duties away before Baker left for LSU:

Nothing is official yet, of course, so we’ll see what happens as Heupel’s search for a defensive coordinator drags on.

• Like 1

Report: LSU assistant staying in Baton Rouge after receiving interest to join Tennessee coaching staff

Michael Wayne Bratton | 2 hours ago

Tennessee fans can cross another name off the list of candidates when it comes to the next Volunteer defensive coordinator.

Knoxville-based WNML sports radio host Jimmy Hyams reported on Tuesday evening that Tennessee had offered current LSU linebackers coach and former Miami Hurricanes defensive coordinator Blake Baker the opportunity to serve as Josh Heupel’s first defensive coordinator on Rocky Top but now Hyams is reporting that Baker has decided to stay at LSU.

“Source: LSU assistant Blake Baker, who talked to Tennessee about the DC job, has decided to stay at LSU,” Hyams reported on Wednesday.

Baker would have been an interesting choice for Tennessee considering Manny Diaz was prepared to take away his defensive play-calling duties in 2021. Instead of staying in Miami, Baker left the Hurricanes just days ago to serve as Ed Orgeron’s new linebackers coach in Baton Rouge.

Contrary to Hyams’ report, a source tells SDS that Baker was “not involved” in Tennessee’s search for its next defensive coordinator.

While there has been much speculation regarding Ohio State linebacker coach Al Washington’s involvement in Tennessee’s search, the Buckeye assistant has yet to publicly announce his plans for the 2021 season. Until he does so, look for Washington to remain the focus of Tennessee’s defensive coordinator search.

• Like 3

Report: LSU adding former NFL, Division II assistants to Ed Orgeron's staff

SDS Staff | 1 hour ago

LSU has reportedly made two new hires to Ed Orgeron’s staff.

Matt Zenitz of AL.com is reporting that LSU has hired Gerald Chatman and Antonio Fenelus as analysts. Both coaches were previously working outside the FBS ranks as defensive coaches.

Chatman was a defensive assistant with the Cincinnati Bengals the past two seasons. In January, the Bengals announced they were not retaining three assistants, including Chatman.

Fenelus comes to LSU from the Division II ranks. A former All-Big Ten defensive back at Wisconsin, Fenelus was most recently the defensive coordinator at East Central University in Oklahoma. Fenelus joined the East Central staff ahead of the 2018 season. Fenelus also has coaching experience as a graduate assistant working with defensive backs at Wisconsin.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations to Big John.

John Decoster hired by the Cleveland Browns

BySHEA DIXON 21 hours ago 

Another former LSU staff member has landed a job in the National Football League.

Former LSU tight ends coach and one-time offensive line assistant John Decoster has accepted a job with the Cleveland Browns as an offensive quality control coach.

Decoster spent the 2017-2019 seasons in Baton Rouge as a graduate assistant working with the offensive line first, then the team's tight ends coach when Steve Ensminger was named offensive coordinator in 2018. His time with the Tigers culminated in a 15-0 finish and National Championship in his final year with the program.

Decoster accepted a job at Old Dominion a year ago, where he was hired as the program's tight ends coach.

Now, he's on the move to the NFL for the first time.

After playing college football at Louisiana-Lafayette, Decoster was a graduate assistant working with the offensive line at the University of Nevada, then was the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at West Virginia State from 2015-16.

He arrived at LSU in 2017, joining Ed Orgeron's staff during his first full season as the team's head coach. Across the next three years, the Tigers would go from unexpected lows to a New Year's Six Bowl win, an SEC Championship win, a College Football Playoffs semifinals blowout of Oklahoma, and a National Championship win over Clemson.

"I was there when we lost to Troy and I was there when we won the national championship. Every year was a growing experience for me," Decoster said in a release from the Browns. "We were around some really good talent and changed our offense a little bit in 2019 and it was a catalyst for an amazing season."

During his three seasons in Baton Rouge, Decoster was part of an LSU program that includes a trio of current Browns in safety Grant Delpit, cornerback Greedy Williams and linebacker Jacob Phillips.

“I'm very excited and very fortunate,” Decoster said in a release. “This is a unique opportunity to join an NFL organization, but especially the Browns and what they're doing over here. They're building something special. Getting to work with some pretty famous offensive minds in Coach Stefanski and Coach Callahan as well, it's an opportunity I couldn't pass up.”

Decoster also has ties to Cleveland offensive lineman Joel Bitonio, who played under Decoster at Nevada before becoming a second-round pick in the NFL Draft. 

"With this organization, the sky is the limit and I think the fact no coach left this offseason is unique, not only in the NFL but college, too," Decoster said. "I think that goes into the vision they have and a culture they have over here."

Decoster, 33, replaces Seitu Smith, who left to become the running backs coach at Yale University. Decoster is the only new coach on Cleveland’s 2021 staff.

4COMMENTS

Decoster arrives in Cleveland after a year at Old Dominion University, though the program did not play any games as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, though the team did take part in a fall practice stretch.

“It was really different,” Decoster said. “We installed our offense and defense and had the kids build confidence in themselves and the system. It was the first time ever we signed a recruiting class where you don't go out and don't see the kids at all. It was really unique and it made you a better coach because you had to install and learn and learn with your players over Zoom.”

• Like 1

LSU announces hire of new director of scouting

Michael Wayne Bratton | 3 hours ago

Ed Orgeron has tabbed a new director of scouting at LSU and the head coach of the Tigers went with someone that’s very familiar with the state of Louisiana.

On Monday, LSU announced former Louisiana Tech receiver Jon Randall Belton has been named the new director of scouting in Baton Rouge.

Belton spent the 2020 season as a regional scout for Virginia after serving as a recruiting intern at Louisiana Tech in 2019.

According to his Linkedin profile, this is an outline of the duties he performed during his time with Louisiana Tech:

Through this internship, I will be working with Louisiana Tech Football to help in the recruiting process. With this, I will be assisting with the inputs of recruits in the database system, help with social media posts, be there to assist in the planning process of the official and unofficial visits of prospects and work registration at the camps that will be hosted on campus throughout the summer. This internship will also include me assisting photo shoots, and setting up different meetings with on-campus supervisors such as meetings with our academic advisor or any other needed meeting. I will also be there for any other recruiting need from the coaching staff.

Belton is from Monroe, La., and played for West Monroe High School. Once a touted quarterback prospect, Belton suffered season-ending injuries each of his last three years of high school.

• Like 1

LSU reportedly planning to hire away Kansas staffer

SDS Staff | 2 hours ago

LSU is reportedly hiring away a key staffer from Kansas.

According to John Brice of FootballScoop, LSU is “targeting” Kansas personnel lead Will Redmond for a director of personnel strategy-type of role on Ed Orgeron’s Tigers football staff. Brice adds, per his sources, Redmond’s title will be director of personnel research and strategy.

Per Brice, Redmond is choosing to head to Baton Rouge to work under Austin Thomas instead of climbing the ladder at Kansas:

Sources told FootballScoop that the G.M. model Thomas helped establish at Baylor and now is implementing at LSU played a key factor in Redmond’s decision to explore the opportunity at LSU while also having an opportunity to continue to climb the internal ladder at Kansas.

On Twitter, FootballScoop shared that while the timing is “tough” due to the recent dismissals of Les Miles and Jeff Long at Kansas, Redmond’s move “had been in the works [for] a while.”

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

LSU grad asst., former DL Christian LaCouture leaves football program

LSU Football

Default Mono Sans Mono Serif Sans Serif Comic Fancy Small Caps
Default X-Small Small Medium Large X-Large XX-Large
Default Outline Dark Outline Light Outline Dark Bold Outline Light Bold Shadow Dark Shadow Light Shadow Dark Bold Shadow Light Bold
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%

Christian LaCouture leaving LSU
By WAFB Staff | March 24, 2021 at 9:02 PM CDT - Updated March 25 at 11:35 AM 

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - As the LSU football program moves farther into the spring, a member of its coaching staff has left for a new career opportunity.

Graduate assistant Christian LaCouture confirmed on Wednesday, March 24, that he’s excited about a new position in sales with Mockler Beverage in Baton Rouge. He spent the past two seasons in the role.

The Lincoln, Neb. native played defensive tackle and defensive end for the Tigers from 2013-2017 but missed the entire 2016 season after getting injured during camp. He wore No. 18 during his senior season.

In 50 games as a Tiger, he finished with 152 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss, and 10.5 sacks.

After going undrafted in 2018, he signed a free agent deal with the Baltimore Ravens.

• Like 2