Gameday Tigers

LSU Players Declaring For The 2021 NFL Draft

LSUDad

Sources: Racey McMath declares for 2021 NFL Draft

ByBILLY EMBODY 84 minutes ago 

LSU wide receiver Racey McMath has signed with an agent and declared for the 2021 NFL Draft, sources confirmed to Geaux247 on Tuesday. The Athletic's Brody Miller was first to report the news.

During LSU's run to a National Championship, the former Edna Karr star hauled in 17 passes for 285 yards and three touchdowns. A special teams star, McMath finished with 33 receptions for 522 yards and four scores in 34 games, averaging 15.8 yards per catch. McMath was part of a talented group of wideouts that helped Joe Burrow to the Heisman Trophy and the No. 1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Coming out of the New Orleans area, McMath inked with the Tigers over offers from Arizona, Kansas, Mississippi State, Texas A&M and others. According to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, McMath was the 90th best wideout in America and No. 22 overall prospect in the state of Louisiana.

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron said towards the end of the season that younger players are poised to take an even bigger role on the team moving forward. Many true freshmen saw the field in 2020, especially at receiver with opt outs, injuries and production levels, while McMath played in just six games as he tried to battle through injury.

"I really believe last year's recruiting class is phenomenal. A lot of guys are playing already," Orgeron said before the Ole Piss game. "The sophomores are doing a very good job. We never talked about the future and what we were going to do. We wanted to finish this year strong. But as you look at it, all those guys are coming back. Maybe we can recruit some guys with the extra year eligibility. For next year we should have a very strong team, a very strong nucleus along with this recruiting class we're going to have this year."

LSU Football: Tigers WR declares for 2021 NFL Draft

An LSU football wide receiver is hoping to land in the NFL.

LSU football wide receiver Racey McMath was a senior this season, but thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, he could return to Baton Rouge for another season.

But that reportedly won’t be the case.

Several media outlets, including The Advocate, reported on Tuesday that McMath will forego his extra year of eligibility to enter the 2021 NFL Draft.

McMath played in six games this season, catching 14 passes for 195 yards and a touchdown.

The New Orleans native finished his LSU career with 33 receptions for 522 yards and four touchdowns.

Where should we expect the former LSU football wide receiver to be drafted?

McMath has the ideal size (6-foot-3/225 lbs) and speed to excel in the NFL.

But unfortunately for McMath, he doesn’t have a vast body of work for NFL franchises to evaluate.

McMath was a victim of playing behind Justin Jefferson, Ja’Marr Chase, Terrace Marshall Jr, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, and Thaddeus Moss in 2019. It’s hard to see many targets when you’re playing behind that kind of talent.

2020, however, was supposed to be McMath’s “year”.

Tigers offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger, who is stepping down as LSU’s play-caller, said last spring that he was expecting a breakout season from McMath in 2020.

Instead of a breakout season, McMath was forced to battle through injury (which is why he played in only six games).

Between injury issues and a pandemic, plus the loss of starting quarterback Myles Brennan (who missed most of the season due to an abdomen injury), it wasn’t a recipe for success for McMath.

And because of that, I wouldn’t be surprised if McMath goes undrafted in 2021.

He should, however, get a chance to land with a team as an undrafted free agent. At that point, if he can stay healthy, McMath has the talent to make an impact in the NFL.

LSU football: Who's staying, who's leaving ahead of the 2021 season?

Players across college football were granted an extra year of eligibility due to the circumstances surrounding COVID-19, and LSU is looking to return some of its top players after finishing with a dismal 5-5 overall record.

Head coach Ed Orgeron expressed confidence in his ability to retain players after the 2020 season.

“I think you’re gonna be surprised by the retention level that we have,” he said. “I’ve talked to a lot of guys, now a lot of things can happen, but right now a lot of them are leaning on coming back. I’m recruiting the heck out of the offensive line which would really help us.”

Based on player announcements over the past two weeks, here’s what we know about who will return and who will not for the Tigers ahead of the 2021 college football season:

Returning: LG Ed Ingram

USATSI_13904534.jpg

John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

The LSU offensive line received good news when Ingram announced Saturday he would return for the upcoming season.

“Another year? ehhh what the heck, let’s ride #GeauxTigers,” he wrote on Twitter.

Ingram, a 6-foot-3, 315-pounder from DeSoto, Texas played in nine games in 2020, only missing the contest at Missouri.

Returning: DT Neil Farrell Jr.

USATSI_13686189.jpg

Vasha Hunt-USA TODAY Sports

The defensive tackle announced Thursday via Twitter that he’ll be back with the Tigers for one more year.

Farrell, from Mobile, Alabama, saw action in all 10 games for the Tigers in 2020, starting six games. Farrell has racked up 99 tackles (35 solo), 5.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and three passes defensed over four years.

Returning: RG Chasen Hines

USATSI_14987404.jpg

Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports

Hines kicked off the new year with a Twitter announcement revealing that he would be back for 2021.

The 6-foot-3, 349-pounder played in nine of LSU’s 10 games in 2020, and he’s ready to “run it back” this year.

Returning: DE Ali Gaye

USATSI_15110056-1.jpg

Retaining Gaye is one of the biggest gets for the LSU defense ahead of a season in which the Tigers are looking to build upon the flashes they showed in 2020.

He was an impact player last year on more than one occasion, totaling 9.5 tackles for loss (a team high), two sacks, an interception, a fumble recovery, a forced fumble and six passes defended.

Returning: C Liam Shanahan

usatsi_11486441.jpg

Shanahan let us know that the show would indeed go on for him in 2021 with this Twitter announcement on Dec. 24, meaning that LSU gets one of the most important members of its offensive line back this year.

Leaving: WR Racey McMath

USATSI_15220698.jpg

Nelson Chenault-USA TODAY Sports

McMath is among the players who will be departing for the 2021 NFL Draft, as Brody Miller of The Athletic announced on Dec. 29.

The wideout caught14 passes for 195 yards and a touchdown in 2020, forced to miss several games with a hamstring injury. He was also an impact player on special teams.

He ends off his career with 33 receptions for 522 yards and four touchdowns.

Leaving: TE Arik Gilbert

USATSI_15048678-1.jpg

Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Highly touted tight end Arik Gilbert announced he would enter the transfer portal late last week, later deleting the tweet.

“After careful consideration and collaboration with my family, I’ve decided to enter the transfer portal,” he wrote. “I’d like to thank God for bestowing his blessings upon me.”

Gilbert tallied 35 receptions for 368 yards and two touchdowns over eight games last season.

Could Tennessee be his next landing spot, with the chance to reunite with quarterback Harrison Bailey?

Leaving: FB/TE Tory Carter

usatsi_14263481.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Carter, who played fullback and tight end for the Tigers while making most of his impact on special teams, will not remain in Baton Rouge in 2021.

Carter appeared in seven of LSU’s 10 games in 2020, starting one of those, and recording four catches for 42 yards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LSUDad said:

LSU punter Zach Von Rosenberg is NFL bound after a successful five-year career in Baton Rouge

“LSU will always be a part of me. I will cherish these memories and the friends I’ve made forever.”

Who’s the oldest player to be taken in the NFL Draft? If you said Swedish-born Ove Johansson then you are correct!

Quarterbacks Chris Weinke and Brandon Weeden may come to mind, but it was Ove Johansson, a Swedish kicker out of Abilene Christian University who was 29 when selected by the Houston Oilers in the 12th round of the NFL Draft. 

Does Zach break that record? 

21 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Leaving: TE Arik Gilbert

USATSI_15048678-1.jpg

Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Highly touted tight end Arik Gilbert announced he would enter the transfer portal late last week, later deleting the tweet.

“After careful consideration and collaboration with my family, I’ve decided to enter the transfer portal,” he wrote. “I’d like to thank God for bestowing his blessings upon me.”

Gilbert tallied 35 receptions for 368 yards and two touchdowns over eight games last season.

Could Tennessee be his next landing spot, with the chance to reunite with quarterback Harrison Bailey?

Not so fast?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

Just because he has put his name in the transfer portal, he can come back to LSU if they want him.  I think we'd take him if he wants to come back.  Sounds like he has some stuff to get straight.

Yeah he needs to focus on things away from football right now, but i wouldn't expect him back at LSU ever.