Gameday Tigers

LSU vs LA Tech (Feb 22, 2021)

Nutriaitch

Player of Game:

Javen freaking Coleman!!!

this kid looks special.

88-90 with his fastball. touched 92 for sure
curve is a slow bending 12-6 breaker at around 7 mph. which makes 90 look like 95.

but the movement is the part that impressed the hell out of me.
two seamer has a late run to arm side.
4 seamer somehow runs different directions at times. Had a few with late rising action, some with a late dart to glove side.

all in all a GREAT effort today, want to see him on mound again. soon.

other shout outs:

Gavin Dugas with the Big Blast of the day. Game Tying Granny is one hell of a way to get your first hit of season.

Doughty and Beloso finally get their first hits as well.

Jake Wyeth with a 3-run double for his first hit as a Tiger.

Jordan Thompson! welcome to the starting lineup(?)  1 for 3 with a dinger. But most importantly: VERY good game with the glove (and arm).  That snag and throw to start double play in 8th was beautiful!

Tre' Morgan. crap luck today. squared up several balls, but all right at people. might be most impressive 0-6 i ever saw.

Dylan Crews. best overall hitter on team through first weekend. There is no close 2nd right now.

I wonder how many people tuned out at 5-1 on the 4th?  It was good to see the bats come alive and to learn this team doesn't quit.  Although he did give up a dinger Freshman pitcher Jaden "Not Louis" Coleman looked great in relief of Labas. Labas was throwing strikes but as Ben McDonald pointed out he was leaving 'em up in the strike zone and was getting tattooed.  Don't think I'm going far out on a limb in predicting that by the time his career is over Dylan Crews will be one of if not the best to ever play at LSU.

4 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

I wonder how many people tuned out at 5-1 on the 4th?  It was good to see the bats come alive and to learn this team doesn't quit.  Although he did give up a dinger Freshman pitcher Jaden "Not Louis" Coleman looked great in relief of Labas. Labas was throwing strikes but as Ben McDonald pointed out he was leaving 'em up in the strike zone and was getting tattooed.  

Not just up, but flat.

He couldn't throw his curve anywhere but the dirt. When he tried to adjust and get it closer to the zone, he hung it.
Then his fastball quit biting. And pretty much anyone can hit heat that's straight as an arrow.

Quick side story on flat fastballs:
Only tank short kid gave up his whole career was a two-seamer that never bit. Right down main street just below the letters.
His hands were on his knees staring at the ground before batter even made contact. He knew that one was hammered.
I walk out to the mound as ask "did you see where that one landed?"   He answered "that was fat and flat, i would fornicating destroyed too" :lmao:
Best part was 2 innings later, he's now struggling on mound. I go out thinking I'm about to pull him.  He reminds me that the kid who nuked him is on deck and no way i was pulling him before he faces that guy. I agreed and left him in.
Kid comes up with 1 out, runners on corners. First pitch slightly up and on inner third of plate. Dude turns on it and hits it further than last time except in foul territory this time.  See scowl on midget's face and think to my self "oh he's pissed. good, he's striking this guy out no." 
Nope.  Next pitch is buried in backside of batter's lower rib cage.  Probably the hardest 4-seamer he threw all day.
I go get him.  His only response "He wasn't beating me twice. Bet he don't turn on anything quick rest of this game either" 

4 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Don't think I'm going far out on a limb in predicting that by the time his career is over Dylan Crews will be one of if not the best to ever play at LSU.

Crews has no business being on a college campus. He was a legit 1st round talent out of High School had he not removed his name from the draft last year.

Covid shortening the showcases and summer ball stuff may be only reason we have him.
I read that he was in a minor slump when it all came to a halt last year.  So the last impression he left was him missing more than normal and straight whiffing on breaking pitches. So his stock dipped a little and he said "screw this, I'm going to LSU".
Had he had a full season to correct it, it would have been a minor blip on radar and he would have been a top 3 round pick and a "Bonus Baby" with the kind of money you don't turn down.

• Like 1