Gameday Tigers

2021 Spring Game And Times

LSUDad

• 2 weeks later...

LSU Football Receiver Kayshon Boutte Settling in to Expanded Role Within the Offense

Boutte talks adapting to new coaching staff, now many different ways he's being used in offensive scheme
ZACK NAGY
10 HOURS AGO
  •  
  •  
  •  

After a dazzling freshman campaign for the Tigers, sophomore wide receiver Kayshon Boutte is prepared for a breakout 2021-22 season. Being named to the freshman All-American team, Boutte is already gaining national recognition with hopes of being a top receiver in all of college football this upcoming season. 

But Boutte knows that with plenty of talent surrounding him and the open offense the Tigers plan to implement in 2021, he'll have to improve in every aspect of his game to reach the lofty goals he's set out.

“Last year, I think the things I did best was speed and get out of my breaks,” said Boutte. “And this season I’m focusing on being more physical and better at my route running and blocking.”

As a true-freshman, Boutte caught 45 passes for a team high 735 yards and five touchdowns. With new offensive coordinator Jake Peetz, Boutte expects his role within this group to increase significantly. That means lining up all over the field and making an impact not just on the outside but in the slot and sometimes in the backfield.

0:18/0:50
logo.png

"I find myself in many different places. Coach Peetz came in and moved me around,” said Boutte. “Last year I played mainly X, just X. This year I'm different, X, Z, backfield, I do it different. I like that he came in and changed the style."

Boutte's SEC record of 308 receiving yards in the season finale against Ole Miss put the icing on the cake in an eye-opening freshman season. But with that successful first year in Baton Rouge now in the rearview mirror, Boutte is prepared for the workload this upcoming season being WR1.

0:18/0:50
logo.png

“There’s just a lot going on in the environment, you can’t focus on what’s going on outside, you gotta just focus on the task at hand,” said Boutte. “I think that is something that everybody’s doing a good job of.”

The task at hand for this LSU team is to compete for another SEC title in 2021 with Boutte leading the charge at the receiver position. With a new offensive scheme under Peetz, it appears as though this offense has all the weapons to be successful in the spread style.

“Coach Peetz came in with a good plan,” said Boutte. “He (Peetz) is making the quarterbacks get together and work every day on different stuff and Coach DJ [Mangas] is helping the receivers get better at what we do.”

Mangas, who was named the passing game coordinator for this upcoming season, helped Joe Brady recruit Boutte and many of the other young stars from that 2020 season on the offensive side of the ball.

As part of the revamped coaching staff coming in this season, there is a newfound energy within this locker room as each player is playing for one another. As each spring practice gets more and more competitive, this LSU group is getting closer by the day.

Though there is no set QB1, and there will not be until the fall, so each receiver is getting comfortable within the new system and gaining more confidence with whichever quarterback is throwing to them.

“We’re kind of getting used to how they throw the ball,” said Boutte. “You’re not going with just one quarterback, you’re going with different quarterbacks all throughout practice. After practice it gives us something to work on.”

• Like 3

Details on fan attendance for LSU's spring football game; free admission, seating, more

Tiger Stadium: lsu football stock

Advocate file image of Death Valley.

STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

A year after the coronavirus pandemic canceled LSU's spring football game entirely, the university announced Monday that fans will be able to attend Saturday's scrimmage at Tiger Stadium.

LSU is opening the scrimmage with free admission, the athletic department said in a statement, and is requiring all fans to wear masks inside the stadium.

The university moved to 50% capacity in its athletic venues in March, when Gov John Bel Edwards updated Louisiana into Phase 3 of a reopening plan. All fans will be seated and socially distanced in the lower bowl of Tiger Stadium for the spring game, and fans will enter at the south and west gates.

Fans will receive a free poster and roster card when entering the stadium, and concession stands will be open throughout the south concourse.

The LSU football team will walk down Victory Hill at 10:30 a.m., and fans can also watch this tradition while social distancing.

The gates will open at 11 a.m. Kickoff is scheduled for noon, and the scrimmage will be televised on SEC Network+ and broadcast on WNXX-FM, 104.5/104.9.

image.png

• Like 1

LSU Football offensive coordinator Jake Peetz is officially insane

by Zach Ragan10 hours agoFollow @zachTNT

A couple of weeks ago, we mentioned how LSU football offensive coordinator Jake Peetz has a unique way of energizing his players.

Tigers sophomore quarterback TJ Finley told reporters that Peetz likes to flip over tables from time to time during position group meetings (via Jerit Roser).

Stories like these can sometimes be exaggerated from time to time.

Finley, however, wasn’t exaggerating. Flipping tables is apparently something Peetz does a lot.

LSU offensive lineman Ed Ingram spoke with reporters this week and he had a fun Jake Peetz story to share.

Ingram told reporters that he gets a lot of interaction with Peetz during the week.

“He tries to stay in there with all the older guys and stuff,” said Ingram this week (via 247Sports). “The leaders on the offense to make us all come together and get the younger guys to come together as well. He has a lot of energy. He brings a lot of energy to the field.”

The energy that Peetz brings isn’t reserved for just the field according to Ingram.

“Just the other day, he ran in our room and flipped a table over just to get everybody awake,” said Ingram. “He had everybody pumped up for practice that day. There were some binders on the table. He just flipped it over.”

It sounds like Peetz is a perfect fit on an Ed Orgeron-led team.

Coach O has been known to throw some things from time to time to fire his team up.

When Orgeron served as Lane Kiffin’s defensive line coach at Tennessee 2009, the fiery coach hurled a projector into a wall before the Vols’ matchup against top-ranked Alabama (via ESPN).

I doubt Orgeron is launching projectors against the wall as the head coach at LSU, but there’s no doubt he still brings the energy daily.

And the same goes for the coaches on his staff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

I'm not going, but I assumed that you would.

Yep, parking pass and ticket into the Stadium Club Suites. Trying to get in touch with a friend, hope we get to see him. Someone just about everyone would know. 

Did you watch the game, and what did you think?  I looked for it on the SECN channel and it was not on.  I spoke it into my Comcast voice remote and it pulled up an internet feed and I watched it on my TV, the picture was great.

I didn't see a lot of sloppy play, like offsides on either offense or defense, that was nice.  The lines have a lot of experience.

Could not tell about the running game with only 1 healthy RB they did not show much.

Boutte looked good at WR and we can probably find 2 more, but we won't have the tandem we had in 2019.  Good, but so far, not great.  They did say O gave a path back to the team to Gilbert, but he has not decided yet.  It's a list of things Arik has to do.

On defense, Stingley looked better, like he had his attention on the field.  Last year he was only a shadow of his freshman year.  The d-line looks good, but the impressive thing to me is the depth, they look very solid, 2 deep at every position.  There did not seem to be confusion in the secondary, but the passing game was basic.  The kid that caught my eye making some nice plays in #2, McGlothern.  He played well late last year as a freshman, and he still plays well.

Quarterback.  I thought Brennan looked the best, he can't run except in case of emergency like you need 3 yds. for a first down to ice the game and beat Bama, but he can rifle it, with accuracy.  They said he learned a lot from Burrow.  The announcers said he learned how to work and how to lead by example.  Then I would go with Max, he's got the legs and good accuracy.  I would give a slight edge to Nuss over Finley, because he is mobile.  Finley at his best is the best passer we have.  The problem is that Finley at his worst is the worst passer also.  He's just too inconsistent, its his sometime lack of accuracy.  If I was Finley, I'd play this year at LSU, get more experience, let Brennan leave in the 2022 draft, fight for the starting job in spring 2022, and leave after next spring if I don't win the job.  That is similar to what Burrow did at OSU, but he stayed there 3 years before transfer.

Got a Wedding to go to tonight. Saw some good play out of many. Most of the DB looked really good. Much of the same with WR. Many completions on drag routes across the middle. 

Starters on both sides of the line looked good, also a few backups looked good. 

They had the Baseball game on inside the Stadium Club. 

113278AB-4769-477D-801D-A8B0DD441DF5.thumb.jpeg.bb3fd6bc42e1a115f55e5b47fa298762.jpeg

033BCE62-975C-43AB-A6E3-5BC4C24A778F.thumb.jpeg.c211c6f2e150009c1d8eb0afa98703c3.jpeg

D4706B64-760D-45D7-A4ED-0E0E041F1102.thumb.jpeg.f900e9d21807c4dbbc8e302345e7c416.jpeg

4AE8D2D8-95D5-4913-A413-C380C0DB349B.thumb.jpeg.a7967148c233e035ec3e7edff62a9999.jpeg

885381ED-7652-4781-92F2-EE09551EE48C.thumb.jpeg.68a25cd346324156e660bf304761589d.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

And the debate is already raging: Brennan vs. Johnson. Kinda goes like this "Brennan had the stronger arm is the better passer." "Yeah but Max can run, Brennan can't."

Here are the stats from the scrimmage http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=348909

I honestly don't care who starts at QB. Put the best guy in and  let's geaux!

I think both should play, that's what I would like to see, especially early in the season.  When it comes to crunch time, against Auburn, Fla., Bama, aTm, obviously you have to play the guy you think gives you the best chance to win.  But the first three weeks, I'd play both of them a lot.

• Like 1

The QB’s had good and bad. The two (Brennan and Johnson) are ahead of the other two. 
The deeper positions are DB, WR, DL. 

OL starting 5 are good, they have two backups are Wire and Bradford. Bradford is listed at 365lbs. He is solid. Kardell Thomas, hasn’t progressed, to where he should be now. 

DL has depth, overdue. LB’s have help coming in for the fall. DB’s have depth, a good mixture. Sting has a good shot to be the first DB taken in next years draft. 

Lots of base on both sides, a few good matchups. The UCLA game will tell us a little more. 

UCLA finished 3-4 in a conference only seven game season.  They are not ranked in the top 25 pre season poll I checked.  LSU was ranked #25 in that poll, I saw another poll that had us as high as #15.  But we know if we win, the rankings will come.

Yes, UCLA will tell us more, but they won't tell us how we'll do against Auburn.

• Like 1

Speaking of Spring Games, got a chance to look at the aTm game. They lost a bunch on the OL from last year. It looks that way, they return Luke Matthews, Luke is the latest Matthews family member to sign with the Aggies, following brothers Kevin, Jake and Mike Matthews to don the Maroon & White … father, Bruce, was inducted in the NFL Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility in 2007 after a stellar 19-year career with the Houston Oilers and Tennessee Titans. 
OL weakness is something the Tigers should be able to exploit. 
Another weakness, DB’s.

• Like 1