Gameday Tigers

2 Point Conversion with Fish and Nootch Ep 1 2021

Fishhead

also, i have been to every home game vs Alabama since 2012 (wasn’t at the 2010 game unfortunately). 

2 were under the previous staff. 
both we had leads with less than 2 min to go. 

3 we were down by a minimum of 2 scores. 
2 of those 3 we were down by more than 4 touchdowns. 

i’ll let you figure out which ones were which. 

only hint i’ll give you is:
we fired the guy that actually had a chance to win 2 of those 5 games.  Lost those 2 games by a combined 11 points. one in OT.

we gave 2 raises and 2 extensions to the one that got utterly embarrassed and prison raped in 3 of those 5 home games vs Bama.  Lost those 3 by a total of SEVENTY-SEVEN points and never once had a lead  

just saying. 

Regarding the 2019 OL...

It's a lot easier to look good with a Burrow and a Clyde. 

I thought we'd established this a long time ago,  but all you have to do is watch a highlight reel from 2019's biggest plays. 

Every. 

Single. 

One... starts with either Joe or Clyde performing miracles in the backfield avoiding defenders. Every one. Just watch. 

That's hardly indicative of good OL play. 

Grant Delpit won the damn Thorpe award that year. That's how it goes with that kind of season.  That was literally Delpit's worst season. Sting deserved it above him in 2019.

Reply to Nootch:

And of those two coaches, only ONE has a win against Bama. 

I have shown over the years that Miles recuiting classes were going down in overall quality his last 4 years, while O has improved the national rank of his recruiting classes.

Alabama is an important point of reference, but not the only pojnt of reference.  O has won 13 games against top 10 teams in 5 years, Miles won 16 against top 10 teams in 12 years.

Orgeron's coaching and recruiting records with season ending rankings:

2017 record - 9 - 4 ranked #18..........................2018 recruiting class national rank #15 (Terrace Marshall)

2018 record - 10 - 3 ranked #6..........................2019 recruiting class national rank #5 (Derek Stingley)

2019 record - 15 - 0 ranked #1..........................2020 recruiting class national rank #4 (Eli Ricks, Kayshon Boutte)

2020 record - 5 - 5 unranked...........................2021 recruiting class national rank #3 (Maason Smith, Sage Ryan)

Compare O's season ending ranking for his first four full seasons, to Miles last 4 full seasons, Les went 14, 14, unranked, 16.  The program failed to progress for 4 years.

O got the program moving in the right direction.  His record is clear on that.  Miles hung on to his buddies like Studwara and Cameron at offensive coordinator, and they didn't get the job done, the record shows that.  Given a chance to replace Cameron and revamp the offense, with his job on the line, he kept Cameron and the mistake was obvious.  When O makes mistakes, he has not held on to them beyond one season, he's been proactive in fixing problems.

Now, all of this is predicated on 2020 being an anomaly.  If we go 10-2 or even 9-3, then 2020 was an anomaly.  With the talent we have, if we lose 4 games this year, O's seat will get warm, but I don't think he gets fired.  But the heat would be on in 2022.

Edited by houtiger

10 hours ago, houtiger said:

Reply to Nootch:

And of those two coaches, only ONE has a win against Bama. 

I have shown over the years that Miles recuiting classes were going down in overall quality his last 4 years, while O has improved the national rank of his recruiting classes.

Alabama is an important point of reference, but not the only pojnt of reference.  O has won 13 games against top 10 teams in 5 years, Miles won 16 against top 10 teams in 12 years.

Orgeron's coaching and recruiting records with season ending rankings:

2017 record - 9 - 4 ranked #18..........................2018 recruiting class national rank #15 (Terrace Marshall)

2018 record - 10 - 3 ranked #6..........................2019 recruiting class national rank #5 (Derek Stingley)

2019 record - 15 - 0 ranked #1..........................2020 recruiting class national rank #4 (Eli Ricks, Kayshon Boutte)

2020 record - 5 - 5 unranked...........................2021 recruiting class national rank #3 (Maason Smith, Sage Ryan)

Compare O's season ending ranking for his first four full seasons, to Miles last 4 full seasons, Les went 14, 14, unranked, 16.  The program failed to progress for 4 years.

O got the program moving in the right direction.  His record is clear on that.  Miles hung on to his buddies like Studwara and Cameron at offensive coordinator, and they didn't get the job done, the record shows that.  Given a chance to replace Cameron and revamp the offense, with his job on the line, he kept Cameron and the mistake was obvious.  When O makes mistakes, he has not held on to them beyond one season, he's been proactive in fixing problems.

Now, all of this is predicated on 2020 being an anomaly.  If we go 10-2 or even 9-3, then 2020 was an anomaly.  With the talent we have, if we lose 4 games this year, O's seat will get warm, but I don't think he gets fired.  But the heat would be on in 2022.

Agree with all that, assuming you're talking about the time period between '12 and '20.

Miles beat Saban 3 times, but it ended in '12.

I think 1/9/12 ended Miles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Yes as I posted elsewhere, Saban got the memo Miles didn't.   But I will still give Miles credit for 2011, beating Alabama there and getting us to that game. Alabama was probably the only team that could have beaten us that year.

I totally agree with that.  I remember us all talking at the time, that 2011 team was probably better than the 03 and 07 championship teams.  They were undefeated and Bama was the only team that pushed them hard.  Their offense was not always great, but their defense was IMO always great.  In the championship game in Jan. 2012, with NO offensive performance, they were behind 14-0, but had played very well on defense.  The last Bama score, the defense was shot because the offense left them on the field too long.  Miles won the first game by pulling Lee and inserting Jefferson, and the offense changed to a QB option which Bama was not ready for.  In the second game, Bama was ready for the option, they shut it down, and Jefferson was not ready to run a passing attack.  When we look at the top 25 teams LSU beat in 2011, its not as impressive as 2019, but it is not that far off.  I agree Bama was the only team that could beat LSU that year.

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

I totally agree with that.  I remember us all talking at the time, that 2011 team was probably better than the 03 and 07 championship teams.  They were undefeated and Bama was the only team that pushed them hard.  Their offense was not always great, but their defense was IMO always great.  In the championship game in Jan. 2012, with NO offensive performance, they were behind 14-0, but had played very well on defense.  The last Bama score, the defense was shot because the offense left them on the field too long.  Miles won the first game by pulling Lee and inserting Jefferson, and the offense changed to a QB option which Bama was not ready for.  In the second game, Bama was ready for the option, they shut it down, and Jefferson was not ready to run a passing attack.  When we look at the top 25 teams LSU beat in 2011, its not as impressive as 2019, but it is not that far off.  I agree Bama was the only team that could beat LSU that year.

Actually they were down 15-0.

Five FGs, no TDs... until Trent Richardson scored very late. 

That defense was legit

42 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Ok off-topic a bit BUT let's speculate. What if the 2011 team beat Alabama and won the NC?

2019 > 2011?

2011>2019? 

Good question Hatch.  I would still vote for 2019 as the better team.

What if we had a team with the 2019 offense and the 2011 defense? :shocked:

You just BLEW MY MIND!!!

• Like 1