Gameday Tigers

LSU @ UCLA

Nutriaitch

I don't feel so bad being a fan and not seeing it coming.  T-Bob and Hester were at practices and didn't get how bad things were.

Former offensive lineman T-Bob Hebert and running back Jacob Hester, who host the local radio show Off the Bench were also quite candid in their analysis of this LSU team. Hester and Hebert have had the opportunity

"When you watch preseason camp you think is our defensive line really this good or is our offensive line really this bad?" Hester said. "You can't really tell and there's a lot of things we had questions about that we were hoping they could find a way to be a positive and all of that was what they showed in preseason camp to be worrisome. There is way more to do than I ever could've imagined.

"How I view this LSU football team is starkley different than what I came into Saturday viewing this team," Hebert added. "This is a team that everything we were giving them the benefit of the doubt early on, we were completely wrong to do so. They got outcoached, outplayed and most sadly of all out physicaled."

LSU has plenty of work to do to rebuild its perception of what this team can be because the UCLA performance was an utter failure at nearly every level and the former players took notice. 

Tyrann's tweets are also at the link.

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/former-lsu-players-react-to-ucla-loss

Edited by houtiger
just because

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

I don't feel so bad being a fan and not seeing it coming.  T-Bob and Hester were at practices and didn't get how bad things were.

Tyrann's tweets are also at the link.

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/former-lsu-players-react-to-ucla-loss

I guess it's hard to tell when both your offense and defense suck and you've only watched them play each other

2 hours ago, COTiger said:

Wouldn't you like to see more than one game before reaching those conclusions?

Did you miss the previous 10? Do tell... what's different from last year to this year? I'll tell you. The OL is worse. That's it.  The LB play is atrocious, safeties are lost (and undersized), running game is non existant, and the OL looked like baby seals getting clubbed to death. 

This team is soft as a baby's arse. Open your eyes. Attitude reflects leadership. The damn upperclassmen can't even bother to pass under water basket weaving with 100 Xs the resources as the average student. We have 3 upperclassmen unavailable due to academic issues to start the year!

From Liam Shanahan 

"UCLA gave them looks that he said they were not 100-percent prepared for. "

Do you know how much coach O makes annually? It's over $8 MILLION! On top of that we have a squad of analysts hand picked by him that had all spring and summer to study UCLA. All of them are paid very handsomely. 

And according to two Senior OL, they "didn't know what to do" and were "not prepared".

Spin it how you want. 

15 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Did you miss the previous 10? Do tell... what's different from last year to this year? I'll tell you. The OL is worse. That's it.  The LB play is atrocious, safeties are lost (and undersized), running game is non existant, and the OL looked like baby seals getting clubbed to death. 

This team is soft as a baby's arse. Open your eyes. Attitude reflects leadership. The damn upperclassmen can't even bother to pass under water basket weaving with 100 Xs the resources as the average student. We have 3 upperclassmen unavailable due to academic issues to start the year!

I try to forget what happened last year & previous years.  It's ancient history in my mind.  I focus on what's happening this year & what I've seen so far is not good.

10 minutes ago, COTiger said:

I try to forget what happened last year & previous years.  It's ancient history in my mind.  I focus on what's happening this year & what I've seen so far is not good.

Problem is, it's by and large the same players making the same mistakes and I can't forget the embarrassment of losing to Mississippi St (proven now to be a very bad team), Missouri (same), being demolished by Auburn with Bo Nix, absolutely annihilated by Bama, etc. 

Things look no different except pass blocking is worse with the same players. 

Listen, UCLA may prove to be a great team. But I'm capable of recognizing poor schemes, poor execution, and a failure to adjust no matter who we're playing. If anyone saw something different Saturday night, please share. I'd love to be wrong. 

I posted this in another forum:

Ed's record at LSU:
2016 6 - 2
2017 9 - 4
2018 10 - 3
2019 15 - 0
2020 5 - 5
2021 0 - 1
Total: 43 - 15
If my elementary math skills are correct that's a winning percentage of 74%. Discount 2020 and I would say he's had a hell of a career at LSU.

1 hour ago, COTiger said:

Ed's record at LSU:
2016 6 - 2
2017 9 - 4
2018 10 - 3
2019 15 - 0
2020 5 - 5
2021 0 - 1
If my elementary math skills are correct that's a winning percentage of 74%. Discount 2020 and I would say he's had a hell of a career at LSU.

if you can discount a year, so can i. 

remove 2019 and it’s the kind of career that got the last guy fired. 

3 hours ago, COTiger said:

Ed's record at LSU:
2016 6 - 2
2017 9 - 4
2018 10 - 3
2019 15 - 0
2020 5 - 5
2021 0 - 1

Wait remove the worst (so far), but keep the best?  Sure lol, sounds fair. 

Now do Miles and remove his worst year.  We fired him for O and he had about that kind of winning % over more than a DECADE. Gimme a break. 

Miles had 3 NON 10 win seasons and his worst was 8-5.  That said, he needed to go because he couldn't beat Alabama anymore.  (he did beat him more than any other coach)

Ed beat him once and it was glorious, I was there.  But he's failed to score against him twice and no other games were remotely close.  Hell, Miles took him to OT with the worst team he fielded and did so again more recently.

And again, he got FIRED.  

Now it's Ed's turn.

I do, and I gave him credit for going from 9-4 to 10-3 to 15-0.  But you can't take away his worst record to date, and you also have to include his embarrassing actions since 2019.  (honestly before, but when you're going 15-0, I guess you get a pass)

The LSU brass has been fed up and he's been on notice, yet to this day, he continues to embarrass the university and the football program.  I mean, check his history.  It's who he is.  
Now obviously with hindsight being 20/20, Miles was an embarrassment too, but he did keep it hidden until last year when he was exposed.  O just doesn't give a crap.

38 minutes ago, COTiger said:

What part of I INCLUDED THE 2020 NUMBERS in my figures do you not understand.  I simply made an observation that if you excluded 2020 it would be a hell of a lot more impressive.

Watch it tumble

And I know his record is good even with the 2020 season. So was Miles'. The trajectory was downward. Admittedly O's is down for one season and one game. But the off field stuff alone will do him in. 

First, I dislike piling on anyone when they are down with a bunch of petty complaints.  I have not seen anything in the Title IX stuff that would get O fired.  Taking a picture of O, a single man, with a pretty girl, with or without a shirt, and having it appear on the net, not fir-able.   Camp at Fouchon, not fir-able, he gets a stern lecture.

What I do care about is the product on the field.  Last year was very poor, we all know that.  The question is, why?  We heard about poor communication with the coaches, poor defensive scheme, and it is up to O to diagnose what all those issues were and get them fixed.  Many coaches were replaced with younger coaches.  A potential problem that was noted is that both coordinators had no experience as coordinators.

So, we get to UCLA, and the product on the field is poor.  The o-line is not blocking, the linebackers are not covering, the d-line is getting gashed on long runs.

You can give a guy a bad season if he lost 22 players, included 14 drafted.

But this year, it has to be better.  His recruiting has been very good, so that is not an excuse, the talent is here.

We need to see a lot of improvement across the board the next three weeks.  If not, the coaching staff will be judged incompetent.

Another thing I will say is that when anyone gets a divorce, it is very disruptive, and the longer the marriage, the more disruptive.  RC Slocum at A&M got divorced and his performance went down until he was replaced.  Jimbo got divorced and had his worst 2 seasons at FSU.  He remarried in College Station and he's back on track. 

Another thing I don't like to see is when Woodward re-did O's contract, which was warranted, he gave him a big raise to $6 million a year for 6 years.  I don't like to see a six year deal.    If O makes it through the year, we still owe him 6 X 4 = 24 million for him to go away.  That would be on Woodward.  I would have given him the six mil a year, but only for 4 years.  I don't think Ed was going anywhere else.

One final comment, I saw O get in Maason Smith's face Saturday night, didn't scream, but a terrible angry look.  I saw it again in the file FH showed in the Orgeron discussion topic.  I have not seen it before.  He looks out of control at points.  He wants something, he's not getting it, and he's very frustrated at times.  I don't think that's good.

I reserve judgment for 3 weeks, but if things don't get a lot better, things will be real ugly.  You may think things are ugly already, and they are, but 3 wins would calm things down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

I listened to a podcast yesterday that was talking about how when coaches start to fail, its usually when their specialty starts to fail.  O is known as a DL coach and our DL had a lot to be desired right now.  It was an interesting take.

Well if he was the OL coach he'd be gone already lol

8 hours ago, houtiger said:

First, I dislike piling on anyone when they are down with a bunch of petty complaints.  I have not seen anything in the Title IX stuff that would get O fired. 

um, might want to re-read some of the reports. 

(Again, this is all only alleged at this point)

Player goes to coach and says Guice raped his girlfriend. 

O says “everybody’s girlfriend sleeps around”

that is text book Title IX violation (if proven) and not just fireable, but may never work in industry again level of offense. 

Taking a picture of O, a single man, with a pretty girl, with or without a shirt, and having it appear on the net, not fir-able.

In and of itself, correct. 
added on top of everything else however. 

Camp at Fouchon, not fir-able, he gets a stern lecture.

Showing up at a booster’s camp wanting to fight? You know the boosters, people that provide money to the department. 

Go show up at the money man for your company and try to fight him. 

Let me know how long you keep your job. 

What I do care about is the product on the field.  Last year was very poor, we all know that.  The question is, why?  We heard about poor communication with the coaches, poor defensive scheme, and it is up to O to diagnose what all those issues were and get them fixed.  Many coaches were replaced with younger coaches.  A potential problem that was noted is that both coordinators had no experience as coordinators.

So, we get to UCLA, and the product on the field is poor.  The o-line is not blocking, the linebackers are not covering, the d-line is getting gashed on long runs.

But this year, it has to be better.  His recruiting has been very good, so that is not an excuse, the talent is here.

We need to see a lot of improvement across the board the next three weeks.  If not, the coaching staff will be judged incompetent.

Another thing I will say is that when anyone gets a divorce, it is very disruptive, and the longer the marriage, the more disruptive.  RC Slocum at A&M got divorced and his performance went down until he was replaced.  Jimbo got divorced and had his worst 2 seasons at FSU.  He remarried in College Station and he's back on track. 

Another thing I don't like to see is when Woodward re-did O's contract, which was warranted, he gave him a big raise to $6 million a year for 6 years.  I don't like to see a six year deal.    If O makes it through the year, we still owe him 6 X 4 = 24 million for him to go away.  That would be on Woodward.  I would have given him the six mil a year, but only for 4 years.  I don't think Ed was going anywhere else.

One final comment, I saw O get in Maason Smith's face Saturday night, didn't scream, but a terrible angry look.  I saw it again in the file FH showed in the Orgeron discussion topic.  I have not seen it before.  He looks out of control at points.  He wants something, he's not getting it, and he's very frustrated at times.  I don't think that's good.

I reserve judgment for 3 weeks, but if things don't get a lot better, things will be real ugly.  You may think things are ugly already, and they are, but 3 wins would calm things down.

the product on the field is below the level that got previous regime fired. 

and previous regime did that without the offield baggage (or at least not known at the time )baggage

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

I listened to a podcast yesterday that was talking about how when coaches start to fail, its usually when their specialty starts to fail.  O is known as a DL coach and our DL had a lot to be desired right now.  It was an interesting take.

Cheerleading?
Mascoting?

First, I dislike piling on anyone when they are down with a bunch of petty complaints.  I have not seen anything in the Title IX stuff that would get O fired.  Taking a picture of O, a single man, with a pretty girl, with or without a shirt, and having it appear on the net, not fir-able.   Camp at Fouchon, not fir-able, he gets a stern lecture.

Couple things, just to discuss

Piling on...O is doing the piling on himself. 

You listed several non fire-able offenses that he has committed, and you didn't list them all.  But when you start adding them together,  at some point it does become fire-able,  Especially when your bosses have already said cut it out. 

Regarding recruiting, we definitely have had highly rated classes. But go look and you will see that they are filled with wide receivers and defensive backs. Finally got a highly rated defensive lineman, but still waiting for the offensive lineman and linebackers.  It's been an issue for years that should've been addressed. 

Agree on the contract and buyout. Heinous. 

Regarding the insanity he displays, I appears he is either on something or is devolving into a caveman. (Stolen)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Regarding recruiting, we definitely have had highly rated classes. But go look and you will see that they are filled with wide receivers and defensive backs. Finally got a highly rated defensive lineman, but still waiting for the offensive lineman and linebackers.  It's been an issue for years that should've been addressed

hmmmmm, i remember that being discussed as a reason why the previous guy wasn’t good enough. 

almost word for word. 

Agree on the contract and buyout. Heinous. 

ain’t you the one who said something. to the effect of “money doesn’t matter” when i bitched about this contract when he got it?

Regarding the insanity he displays, I appears he is either on something or is devolving into a caveman. (Stolen)

Have you read Meat Market?

this ain’t anything new. None of it is. 

This is Ed Orgeron.
This is who we hired. 

This is literally all the same stuff we made fun of, laughed at, and talked shyte about when he was at Ole Miss.

Ed has been like this since at least Miami. 
Yet people are now surprised for some reason that he’s acting like he has acted at every single stop in his entire career. 

There is a reason that not a single human being not named Alleva has ever granted him even an interview for the HC position at their FBS level school. 

3 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

ain’t you the one who said something. to the effect of “money doesn’t matter” when i bitched about this contract when he got 

Money isn't the issue imo. Length of extension, which extends the buyout is. But I was talking about salary per year. I don't care how much it is. I care about how long it's for though.

Cool thing about high salaries is they give me the right to point out mistakes without feeling the least bit bad about it.