Gameday Tigers

LSU vs McNeese

Nutriaitch

4 hours ago, Herb said:

On a side note...look at is all of the schools that have been either upset or struggled with weaker opponents over the 1st 2 weeks of the season:

Clemson (3rd at the time) lost to UGA (5th at the time)
North Carolina (10th at the time) got beaten by Virginia Tech (unranked)
Wisconsin (12th at the time) got beaten by Penn State (19th at the time)
Washington (20th at the time) got beaten by Montana (unranked)
Oklahoma (3 at the time) almost got beaten by Tulane (unranked)
Ohio State (3) lost to Oregon (12)
Iowa State (9) lost to Iowa (10)
Notre Dame (8) squeaked by Toledo (unranked) with a 4 point win
USC (14) lost to a fairly weak Stanford team n(unranked)
Texas (15) got the crap beaten out of them by Arkansas (unranked)
Utah (21) got beaten by BYU (unranked)
Miami (25) squeaked by with a 2 point win over Appalachain State (unranked)

And on what planet should a team like Florida State lose to Jacksonville State?

It's been a crazy start of the season all around.

That does not make us suck any less, though. It's a little eye opening.

I would add that A&M is not a top 5 team when they barely squeaked by Colorado yesterday

But none of that explains why we still look like last years team.  I am afraid we won't win a single SEC game at this rate.  We've become Vandy.  😭

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

He needs to stop throwing into double coverage.  However, when he did that last night, every one was on his receiver's hands. 

THIS!
You can get away with it against McNeese.

What we don't know about Nuss (yet) is if he would also do that against a real D, or was taking a bigger gamble knowing his competition.

18 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Not the point.  Look at who MAX was throwing against if we're gonna go there.  Nuss is far more agile in the pocket, can actually stretch the field, put the ball on receivers (who dropped FIVE in the 4th quarter), and has twice the arm talent.  

I don't know why Max is struggling so much with the pressure.  Sometimes there's not even real pressure, but he's so gun shy he seems to be panicking.  Nuss looked far more comfortable and confident. 
Max has also been quite inaccurate.  
I think one thing that could actually help relieve some of the pressure is the threat of a downfield strike.  Max hasn't displayed that thus far this year.  Nuss' first pass was a go route on the money but receiver was barely OOB and didn't catch it anyway.  Point being, seeing that could give some pause to these DCs we're facing.  
Not sure if you noticed, but UCLA played cover 0 most of the night against us.  At best, single high safety.  Give em something to think about and make em play cover 2, get some of these defenders out the box!  

Nuss brings that. 

I'm not saying he should start, but you can tell he has a different level of arm, mobility, and confidence.  He can throw the ball from his hip right on the money well downfield.  
He needs to stop throwing into double coverage.  However, when he did that last night, every one was on his receiver's hands. 

So you're basing your observations on limited play against McNeese?  If so, get back to me when we start SEC play.

15 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I would add that A&M is not a top 5 team when they barely squeaked by Colorado yesterday

But none of that explains why we still look like last years team.  I am afraid we won't win a single SEC game at this rate.  We've become Vandy.  😭

I'm going to take these two comments in reverse order. 

LSU isn't Vandy for sure.  We have starters missing time for summer school academic issues lol.  OK, moving on.

I've seen a lot of "TAMU/Miami/FSU/TX/ND/Whoever doesn't look good either. 

I
Don't
Care

about those teams.  LSU couldn't beat a one of em with the way they're playing. 

7 minutes ago, COTiger said:

So you're basing your observations on limited play against McNeese?  If so, get back to me when we start SEC play.

You're being contrarian or not reading the words I typed. 

I didn't watch McNeese.  I watched LSU.  I watched Max and Nuss, both of whom played against the same team last night.  Nuss' arm strength and mobility isn't going to differ no matter the opponent.  His confidence might, but he appears FAR more confident than Max right now.  Maybe because he hasn't been beaten to a complete pulp yet, but still, I watched him since he was in HS.  I know what he has.  He has an infinitely better arm than Max.  I don't know if he's as tough as Max and he actually went through his progressions.  Watch Max.  He's 6'5" and got a lot of balls batted down.  Why?  He locked on to his target and never looked a defender off.  Nuss did that immediately and repeatedly.  It is what it is. 

I'm NOT saying Nuss should start.  I'm not saying he'd do great against Alabama.  I'm saying, compared to MAX, he looks very good.  It's obvious to anyone who watched and has a clue.  It doesn't matter who it was against because it was the same team Max was playing against lol.

Also, you can say the same about Kiner/Goodwin regardless of McNeese being the opponent.  Look what they did compared to what TDP did.  Look at their speed and agility, vision.  Quite frankly, they're better.  Regardless of opponent.  They were playing the same opponent as TDP.  
Only thing I worried about with them was blitz pickup, and I saw both Goodwin and Kiner do it just fine in limited chances.  They should be the starters against CMU in my opinion.

I'm  still watching the replay.  With 2:50 left in the game, Nuss drops back in the pocket and actually sets his feet.  Nothing there and pressure comes.  He evades it, rolls to his right, eyes downfield the whole time, and throws a strike on the run that hits Brian Thomas Jr between the ones on his chest.  Which he dropped.  

I saw Nuss' focus, I saw BTJ  jog off the line and run a lazy route.  He was open beyond the first down marker because the defender could see he wasn't the target by his awful body language.  I saw Nuss moving through his progressions while on the run and hit the receiver perfectly for a first down.  

I hope BTJ runs stadium stairs all week.  But Nuss is a gamer.

19 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

You're being contrarian or not reading the words I typed. 

I didn't watch McNeese.  I watched LSU.  I watched Max and Nuss, both of whom played against the same team last night.  Nuss' arm strength and mobility isn't going to differ no matter the opponent.  His confidence might, but he appears FAR more confident than Max right now.  Maybe because he hasn't been beaten to a complete pulp yet, but still, I watched him since he was in HS.  I know what he has.  He has an infinitely better arm than Max.  I don't know if he's as tough as Max and he actually went through his progressions.  Watch Max.  He's 6'5" and got a lot of balls batted down.  Why?  He locked on to his target and never looked a defender off.  Nuss did that immediately and repeatedly.  It is what it is. 

I'm NOT saying Nuss should start.  I'm not saying he'd do great against Alabama.  I'm saying, compared to MAX, he looks very good.  It's obvious to anyone who watched and has a clue.  It doesn't matter who it was against because it was the same team Max was playing against lol.

I'm not being contrarian and I did read the words you typed.  I happen to not agree with some of them.

1 hour ago, COTiger said:

I'm not being contrarian and I did read the words you typed.  I happen to not agree with some of them.

You keep saying it's against mcneese though. Doesn't matter if it's against air. 

Nuss has a stronger arm. Agree or no?

Nuss displays more mobility. Yes or no?

*Nuss appears more confident. Yes or no?

Asterisk by the confident comment because as stated, he has yet to be beaten to a pulp like Max. 

My point is the things I'm particularly looking at are regardless of competition.  I think Max is probably tougher. Him surviving the UCLA game show me that. But these things I'm pointing out are regardless of competition. Not to mention they both played against Mcneese last night lol. Max had the advantage of playing with the starters too... if that's an advantage lol

39 minutes ago, COTiger said:

Somewhat off topic, Cincinnati beat the Vikings 27 - 24 in OT.  Burrow was 20 for 27 for 261 yards & 2 TDs.  Chase had 5 receptions for 101 yards and 1 TD.

LSU football Instagram did a side by side of his long td to chase and one from 2019 and it's a mirror image frame by frame. 

Deja vu

• Like 1

I thought it was a good bounce-back game for LSU.  Could it have been more decisive? …. certainly.

Does the staff have some things to cleanup? … sure …. All teams do.

But all in all, it was a noticeable improvement…. and we all want steady improvements every week. Hell, we demand it.

And BTW, fish ….. we disagree on A&M ….. it was a helluva performance by a team that rallied around their backup QB … one of the more impressive performances last weekend, along with Kentucky and Arkansas, IMHO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cadillacattack said:

I thought it was a good bounce-back game for LSU.  Could it have been more decisive? …. certainly.

Does the staff have some things to cleanup? … sure …. All teams do.

But all in all, it was a noticeable improvement…. and we all want steady improvements every week. Hell, we demand it.

And BTW, fish ….. we disagree on A&M ….. it was a helluva performance by a team that rallied around their backup QB … one of the more impressive performances last weekend, along with Kentucky and Arkansas, IMHO.

Only thing I said regarding TAMU is I don't care how they're doing. Others are talking crap about them, FSU, ND, etc to excuse LSU looking like shyte. That's all I said.