Gameday Tigers

2023 Baseball Commitments

LSUDad

Outfielder Griffin Cooley announces commitment to LSU Baseball

• by Billy Embody
  • Sep 20, 11:33 AM

2023 outfielder Griffin Cooley committed to LSU on Sunday, he announced on Twitter. The left-handed hitter also pitches and plays football at Kinder High in Louisiana.

"I am extremely excited and humbled to announce that I have decided to further my academic and athletic future at Louisiana State University," Cooley wrote in his tweet on Sunday. "First and foremost, I would like to thank my Heavenly Father for this opportunity and the talents he has blessed me with. A very special thank you to my family for all their support and always being there for me.

"Also, all this would also not be possible without all my coaches along the way and a special group of coaches from Kinder High who have taught me resiliency and to always compete at the highest level. To all my close friends and teammates, thank you so much for being there for me and making me the best person and player I can be. And finally to my home of Kinder... thank you for providing such a special place for a young man to grow up and the support you provide. GEAUX TIGERS!!!"

Attracting elite talent is exactly what new LSU coach Jay Johnson wanted to do when he took over the program from Paul Mainieri, who retired after this past season.

"We're going to recruit. What does that mean? We're going to sell a vision of the elite college baseball program in the country where anything is possible," Johnson said when he was introduced as the new coach. "You get a chance to be the next Warren Morris at the plate in the ninth inning of the College World Series and come through. You get a chance to be the next Alex Bregman. Everything is possible here. Not easy; every day will matter in terms of building you to that point in time. And at that point in time, you'll be ready when that is what's called for.

"What does that look like? That looks like a player of elite talent, elite character with a work ethic known to mankind because that is what's going to be required to be successful in our program."

Not a VIP subscriber to Geaux247? Sign up now to get access to everything Shea Dixon, Sonny Shipp, Billy Embody and Matt Brune have to offer on all things LSU and access to the No. 1 site covering the Tigers.

Want the latest news on LSU delivered right to your email? Subscribe to the Geaux247 newsletter here. It is free and a great way to get daily updates on LSU football, basketball, baseball, recruiting, and more delivered straight to your inbox. Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.

Did you know Geaux247 has a podcast? That is right folks. The Geaux247 Podcast is available bringing you the best insight into the latest LSU news from Billy Embody, Shea Dixon, and Sonny Shipp. Catch all the latest episoderight here or subscribe on iTunes or Spotify today! Please leave us a rating and a comment.