Gameday Tigers

2021 Bowl Games!

LSUDad

Mike Leach blasts players who opt-out of bowl games: 'One of the biggest absurdities that I've seen'

SDS Staff | 11 hours ago

In recent years, an increasing number of players bound for the NFL Draft have opted to not play in non-CFP bowl games. Mike Leach does not approve.

During a Saturday media opportunity, the Mississippi State head coach made strong comments about players opting out of bowl games.

“You’ve got an obligation to the place that helped build and develop you and finish it out in the bowl,” Leach said, per Andy Kostka of the Mississippi Clarion Ledger. “That’s part of it. You owe it to your team, you owe it to your fans, you owe it to your coaches and it’s the most bizarre thing in the world to me.

“Somebody says, ‘Well, I can’t play one more game,’” Leach continued. “They think they’re going to have a storied 10-year NFL career, and then they can’t play one more college game. Well, that’s ridiculous. I mean, guys will go to the NFL, they’ll make the Pro Bowl and then they’ll play in the Pro Bowl. It’s one of the biggest absurdities that I’ve seen, and it’s selfish, too.”

Kostka points out that Leach’s comments with uncertainty surrounding 2 Mississippi State players for the Liberty Bowl. Leach revealed that MSU offensive tackle Charles Cross, a potential first-round NFL Draft pick, did not practice Saturday. Per the report, Leach “couldn’t remember” if cornerback Martin Emerson practiced Saturday. Emerson recently declared for the draft. Cross hasn’t announced his plans.

Mississippi State faces Texas Tech in the Liberty Bowl on Dec. 28.

Mike Leach calls out Texas Tech for owing him money, quips school should deliver check at Liberty Bowl

Adam Spencer | 14 hours ago

Mike Leach’s tenure at Texas Tech didn’t end on the best of terms. Leach left the school and went to Washington State.

The tension is still there between the 2 parties, as Leach contends the school still owes him money from the 2009 season.

As the Mississippi State Bulldogs prepare to play Texas Tech in the Liberty Bowl, Leach joked that the Red Raiders could simply deliver him the check then:

Leach will be extra motivated to beat his former school. He’ll have his guys ready to play.

The Liberty Bowl is scheduled for Tuesday, Dec. 28, at 6:45 p.m. Eastern time on ESPN.

• Haha 2