Gameday Tigers

East West Shrine and Senior Bowl Games. LSU Players.

LSUDad

Announced on Twitter this afternoon, LSU defensive tackle Neil Farrell Jr. and offensive tackle Austin Deculus have accepted their invites to the East-West Shrine game. Their teammates, Damone Clark and Ed Ingram, accepted their invites to the Senior Bowl over the last few weeks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2022 Senior Bowl Roster Preview: Three LSU players looking to elevate their stock

LSU Football defeats Texas A&M

LSU football graduate student defensive tackle Neil Farrell Jr. (92) does the griddy after a successful play Saturday, Nov. 27, 2021, during LSU's 27-24 win against Texas A&M at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La.

Abby Kible

It is senior bowl week! My favorite time of the year. For the uninitiated, around this time of the year every year, all of the best seniors in college football come to Mobile, Alabama to practice against each other and play in an all-star game in front of and while being coached by NFL coaches. This year, LSU has three players representing the school during the Reese’s Senior Bowl. I have traveled to Mobile to be able to follow the LSU players' successes throughout the week. This is a great opportunity for them to raise their draft stock outside of the tumultuous season that the Tigers had. All three Tigers will be working with the Detroit Lions coaching staff.

The person who I would argue has the most to gain during this week would be Neil Farrell Jr. He is a Mobile native, so I am sure it means a lot to him to be here. Last year, he was DM'ing me asking me for tickets to the game, and now people will be searching for tickets to watch him! Interior defensive linemen have a hard time making a name for themselves for the most part, and being able to work up close and personal with NFL staffs, with drills designed specifically for him, will work wonders for him. Despite having the second best PFF grade of any interior defensive lineman, he was a late add to the festivities this week, if that gives any indication of his draft stock. He could certainly use a good week here to boost his recognition. His run defense is outstanding, and he should benefit greatly from the practice at the end of the week when the coaching staffs switch players and he gets to work with the New York Jets.

Ed Ingram is a curious case. He was once considered a first round draft pick by scouts, but now his stock is completely varied depending on who you ask. Ingram has been a constant performer throughout the mess of the last two years; you cannot deny that his talent is there. This week he will get a chance to go head-to-head with some of these defensive linemen and should he stand a few of them up, the clips will surely make their rounds on Twitter and Instagram. Ingram gives NFL teams a lot to like, as he is able to work at either of the guard positions and I could even see him dipping out and playing some tackle. I expect him to shift all over this week and he should succeed more times than not. LSU has prepared him to be a versatile piece. He is a mean, aggressive lineman which is usually the kind of guy who impresses during this week.

The last LSU player out here this week is Damone Clark, a name that every LSU fan should be happy to hear after this season. He has done nothing but raise his name value and draft stock through the roof. He is a tough, athletic linebacker on the field and a strong leader off of it. He has all the tools to have a long NFL career, and that starts here. Clark is a smart enough guy to pick up on the defensive schemes easily and start producing quick in these drills. He is also a surprisingly big dude to be around, and he can get eyes on him that way. He is a great athlete that should be showing off all week.

I am excited to follow these guys this week and hopefully talk to a few of them. Be sure to stay tuned to our coverage to see how these guys perform!

Lions LB coach Kelvin Sheppard on LSU’s Damone Clark: ‘That’s like my little brother’

Jeff Risdon
Fri, February 4, 2022, 8:35 AM·1 min read
In this article: 

• Detroit Lions
    Detroit Lions
    NFL|4th NFC North|3-13-1

• Kelvin Sheppard
    Kelvin Sheppard
    American football player
  • Damone Clark
    American football linebacker

d6831ec8d92431214e8b95be70ed6de4

Kelvin Sheppard is one of several Detroit Lionscoaches with NFL playing experience. But it’s Sheppard’s most recent time coaching the linebackers at LSU that might mean something important for the Lions in the 2022 NFL draft.

Sheppard is in Mobile with the rest of the Lions staff coaching the American roster in the 2022 Senior Bowl. The team’s LB coach stopped in for an interview with me as part of the Detroit Lions Podcast, and his LSU Tiger roots came out.

Scroll to continue with content

Ad
Now build credit. Together.

After breaking down his interesting path into coaching, Sheppard talked about what it was like to join the coaching staff at his alma mater. This week provided Sheppard, a former Senior Bowl player himself in 2011, a chance to coach one of his LSU proteges all over again.

“Damone Clark, that’s like my little brother,” Sheppard said enthusiastically. “That’s the guy that I mentored all last year. You talk full circle. When he found out he was playing on our team he was beyond excited.”

20220204000806135.jpg

Clark is one of three LSU players on the roster, along with DT Neil Farrell Jr. and OL Ed Ingram, but the linebacker and the connection he has with Sheppard is perhaps the most critical one to evaluate. Clark had a decent week of practices, showing some coverage skills but really thriving in the pass rush 1-on-1s against American team RBs and TEs. His quick feet and burst smoked nearly every comer in the reps. He is generally expected to be a third- or fourth-round pick.

• Like 1

Former LSU Tigers put on a show during Senior Bowl week

Kyle Richardson
Fri, February 4, 2022, 3:07 PM·2 min read
ac21c0500a5b40e8a66b43ddbab6f451

Reese’s Senior Bowl practices have been going on all week long and four Tigers have been putting their talent on display in front of many NFL coaches and scouts. The American team is coached by the Detroit Lions staff, which includes former LSU linebacker, Kelvin Sheppard. Sheppard played for the Tigers from 2007 to 2010 where he had 311 total tackles, 26 TFLs, and one interception.

Ed Ingram, Neil Farrell Jr., and Damone Clark all play for the American team and they have been making the most of their opportunity down in Mobile. All three of them earned an award as the top player at their position for the American team. NFLSU is alive and well with this next batch of Tigers, but they aren’t the only Tigers there.

Chasen Hines was a late addition to the Senior Bowl roster. Unlike his fellow Tigers, Hines will play for the National team. The National team is coached by the New York Jets coaching staff. Chasen Hines started 35 games for LSU during his four-year career from 2018 to 2021.

“It’s been a great week,” Clark said on Friday. “I’ve been able to meet a lot of people and practice each day against some of the best players in college football. I’ve learned a lot and it’s been a great experience.”

Clark said he will wear No. 18 in the game on Saturday and that he’s approaching the contest like any other game he played during his LSU days.

“I’m just going to go out there and play my game. I’m going to compete hard on each play, try to make those around me better and do whatever I can to help us win.”

20220204000806135.jpg
  • LSU Tigers
    LSU Tigers

• Kelvin Sheppard
    Kelvin Sheppard
    2019_DET_wbg.png|LB|#51
  • Damone Clark
    American football linebacker

•  
  • Like 1

Picture
Photo By: 247Sports
Da Boot Sports
2/3/2022
LSU Sports Information
By: Michael Bonnette

BATON ROUGE – Austin Deculus, who appeared in more games than any player in LSU football history, will play one final college game tonight when he suits up for the West squad in the annual East-West Shrine Bowl.

Kickoff for one of college football’s premier all-star games is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT from Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas. The game will be televised on the NFL Network.

Deculus, a four-year starter at right tackle for the Tigers, will wear No. 65 on tonight.  

During his five years at LSU, Deculus set the school record for most games played in a career at 61. He started a total of 46 contests, including LSU’s 42-25 win over Clemson in the national championship game in 2019.

As a fifth-year senior in 2021, Deculus started 12 games and played 829 snaps in helping the Tigers to an appearance in the Texas Bowl. Deculus graduated from LSU with a degree in sports administration in December of 2020.

Deculus is one of three LSU offensive linemen from the 2021 team selected to participate in a postseason all-star game, joining guard Ed Ingram (Senior Bowl) and center Liam Shanahan (Hula Bowl).

In all, five members of LSU’s 2021 squad were invited to all-star games as the Tiger offensive linemen are joined by defensive tackle Neil Farrell Jr. and linebacker Damone Clark, who are both participating in the Senior Bowl.