Gameday Tigers

2022 Tigers In The NFL!

LSUDad

New year, same season, but…

Chase’s gloves that he wore in Week 17 are now on display in Canton, Ohio at the hall.. As Bengals fans are quite aware by now, that was the day Chase set a new NFL record for most receiving yards in a game by a rookie when he exploded for 266 yards in Cincinnati’s 34-31 win over the eventual No. 2 seed Kansas City Chiefs to clinch the AFC North.    During the Cincinnati Bengals’ Week 17 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs (34-31), wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase turned in an impressive stat line: 11 receptions, 266 receiving yards and three touchdowns. With this performance, he rewrote the NFL record for most receiving yards by a rookie in a game. The record was held by Buffalo Bills wide receiver Jerry Butler from 1979 (255 receiving yards).

Now on display in the Pro Football Today Gallery are the gloves worn by Ja’Marr Chase during Week 17 and cleats used by him during his historic rookie year. Additional items from the 2021 season are also featured for Museum visitors.  

https://www.profootballhof.com/jamarr-chase-breaks-single-game-record/

96BBC45D-2B5B-4BC8-99D2-5EEF4635B681.thumb.jpeg.30496c75decdb02e5e8bf7b76ba9d4a5.jpeg

• Like 1

I was watching the Bengals game yesterday and heard something interesting.  The announcer talked about a good free agent pickup by the Bengals and they said, "he could have signed anywhere and he came to Cincinnati.  He came to Cincy because the word is getting around the league, Joe Burrow is special.  If you have the opportunity to play with this guy, take it."  They said certain players around the league get that reputation, and Joe is getting it in only his second year. 

Ja’Marr Chase wasted no time in breaking another Bengals record in first playoff game

It is hard to imagine that we won’t have Ja’Marr Chase’s name written plenty of times in the Bengals’ record books.

By PatrickJudis@PatrickJudis  Jan 16, 2022, 1:02pm EST 

NFL: AFC Wild Card-Las Vegas Raiders at Cincinnati BengalsKatie Stratman-USA TODAY Sports

There was a famous moment when the Cincinnati Bengals drafted Ja’Marr Chase in which the rookie said he was going to break all of the franchise’s receiving records. There were people who scoffed and used it as a way to criticize him. 

However, Chase keeps tallying up the records and being a difference maker at the same time. So it is only fitting he broke yet another one in his first playoff game.

Chase finished the game against the Las Vegas Raiders with nine catches for 116 yards. That is the most yards ever by a rookie wide receiver in a playoff game. The previous holder was Chris Collinsworth from Super Bowl XVI where he had 107 yards.

Chase’s play was crucial in this game. Whenever this team needed a first down, it seemed Joe Burrow was tossing a back shoulder throw to Chase for the conversion. That included three runs for 23 yards, two of which going for first downs, including a 4th-and-1 run to the edge in which he gained 15 yards. That drive ended with the Bengals’ second and last touchdown of the night when Joe Burrow hit Tyler Boyd for the controversial whistle touchdown.

• Like 2

Jan. 16, 2022 -

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers were hoping to get running back Leonard Fournette from a hamstring injury for Sunday’s wild-card playoff game against the Philadelphia Eagles, but Saturday’s deadline passed for activating him off injured reserve, and there he remained.

Tampa Bay had already ruled out Ronald Jones II for Sunday’s game, and now will be without their top two running backs.

Fournette practiced all week, and looked primed to make his return after missing the last three games.

So, what changed?

Bucs head coach Bruce Arians told NFL Network’s Sara Walsh that Fournette simply still wasn’t back to 100 percent, and they wanted to be cautious:

Tampa must have figured they could beat the Eagles without their top 2 RB, and they were right.  TB advanced pretty easily.  Arians wanted to get LF 100% for the more difficult games ahead.  I think Arians is s smart coach.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Tampa must have figured they could beat the Eagles without their top 2 RB, and they were right.  TB advanced pretty easily.  Arians wanted to get LF 100% for the more difficult games ahead.  I think Arians is s smart coach.

A little action with him yesterday. 

I didn't know Lenny had gained so many yards.  He didn't play on Jan. 16, but hopefully he's ready now.

Fournette is coming off a superb year where he recorded over 1,200 yards from scrimmage and had 10 touchdowns. And he did all of that in 14 games while averaging a career-high 4.5 yards per carry.

The timeliness of Leonard Fournette’s impending return couldn’t be more crucial. Their offense is dealing with injuries all across the team, especially in the backfield.

Fortunately for the Buccaneers, the strength of their offense is hardly in the rushing game, which ranks in the bottom half of the league. The Bucs’ strength is in their passing attack, which ranks first in attempts, yards and touchdowns.

But in the playoffs, the paradigm for winning usually changes. Even if the Buccaneers don’t rely on their running game, it’s better to have one and not need one than need one and not have one.

• Like 1

Lenny is back this weekend for the Buc's.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have been without star running back Leonard Fournette for the last few weeks, but it appears that they could be getting him back at the perfect time.

Ian Rapoport has reported that Fournette returned to practice yesterday from his hamstring injury and that there is a very good chance that he will play this weekend.

Fournette was supposed to play in the Buccaneers playoff game last week against the Philadelphia Eagles, but head coach Bruce Arians decided to air on the side of caution and keep him out to be up to full strength going forward.

The former top-5 pick in the NFL draft famously earned the nickname ‘Playoff Lenny’ last season after playing a huge role in the Buccaneers’ run to the Super Bowl last year.

On 1/18/2022 at 5:56 PM, Hatchertiger said:

Not taking away from LF's year b/c he had a good one but it certainly helps his cause to have a defense accounting for Tom Brady.  What if LSU had a QB when he played? Jeremy Hill had Mett in 2013 and look at his numbers.

Mett also had OBJ and Landry, made it too easy with the Safeties. 

Edited by LSUDad

Twenty Former Tigers Still Alive in NFL Playoffs

Twenty Former Tigers Still Alive in NFL Playoffs

BATON ROUGE – Twenty former LSU football players will look to move a step closer to the Super Bowl this weekend when the NFL holds its divisional playoff round.

Play starts with two games on Saturday followed by a pair of games on Sunday. Saturday’s early game has Joe Burrow and the Bengals traveling to face the Titans at 3:30 p.m. on CBS. Last week, Burrow and fellow Tiger Ja’Marr Chase led the Bengals to their first playoff win in 31 years when Cincinnati beat the Raiders.

The Bengals-Titans game will feature seven former Tigers – all members of LSU’s 2019 national championship team. The list includes: Burrow, Chase, Tyler Shelvin and Thaddeus Moss for the Bengals along with Racey McMath, Kristian Fulton and Tory Carter on the Titans.

On Saturday night, Arden Key and the 49ers face the Packers at 7:15 on FOX. The Packers are the only NFL playoff team without an LSU player on their roster.

Sunday’s two games feature 12 former Tigers with the Rams-Buccaneers game at 2 p.m. CT on NBC showcasing seven LSU players. The defending Super Bowl Champion Buccaneers have five Tigers on their roster – Leonard Fournette, Devin White, Kevin Minter, Rashard Robinson and Cyril Grayson. The Rams feature 2003 LSU national champion Andrew Whitworth and Odell Beckham Jr.

The final game on Sunday has the Chiefs hosting the Bills at 5:30 p.m. on CBS. Five former Tigers will be in action in that game – Tyrann Mathieu, Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Darrel Williams for the Chiefs and
Reid Ferguson and Tre’Davious White for the Bills. New LSU defensive coordinator Matt House is the linebackers coach for the Chiefs.

Divisional Playoffs
Saturday, Jan. 22
Bengals at Titans * 3:30 p.m. CT on CBS
Bengals
Active: QB Joe Burrow, WR Ja’Marr Chase, DT Tyler Shelvin
IR: TE Thaddeus Moss
Titans
Active: WR Racey McMath, CB Kristian Fulton
IR: FB Tory Carter

49ers at Packers * 7:15 p.m. CT on FOX
49ers
Active: DE Arden Key
Packers – None

Sunday, Jan. 23
Rams at Buccaneers * 2 p.m. CT on NBC
Rams
Active: OT Andrew Whitworth, WR Odell Beckham Jr.
Buccaneers
Active: RB Leonard Fournette, LB Devin White, LB Kevin Minter, CB Rashard Robinson, WR Cyril Grayson, Jr.

Bills at Chiefs * 5:30 p.m. CT on CBS
Chiefs
Active: RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB Darrel Williams, DB Tyrann Mathieu
Bills
Active: SNP Reid Ferguson
IR: CB Tre’Davious White

• Like 1

Joe Burrow ties NFL record for most times sacked in playoff game, and rewrites history book with Bengals win

By Jeff Kerr

3 hrs ago1 min read

Joe Burrow made the wrong side of history in the divisional round of the AFC playoffs, yet still found a way to rewrite the history books in the process. Burrow was sacked nine times in the AFC Divisional Round, tied with Warren Moon for the most by a  quarterback since the 1970 merger (times quarterbacks have been sacked trace back to 1970). 

The nine sacks the Cincinnati Bengals have allowed ties an NFL playoff record. The 1966 Kansas City Chiefs, 1984 Chicago Bears, 1986 New York Jets, and 1993 Houston Oilers have also allowed nine sacks in a playoff game. The nine sacks by the Tennessee Titans also tie an NFL playoff record with the 1966 Buffalo Bills, 1984 San Francisco 49ers, 1986 Cleveland Browns, and 1993 Kansas City Chiefs. 

The Titans are the first team to lose a playoff game while having nine sacks in a game since the merger. The Cincinnati Bengals are the first team to win a playoff game while allowing nine sacks since the 1966 Kansas City Chiefs. 

Burrow is the first quarterback to be sacked nine times and win a playoff game. He's also the first quarterback to be sacked eight-plus times and win a playoff game since Donovan McNabb in the 2003 NFC Divisional Playoffs. Burrow and McNabb are the only two quarterbacks to accomplish the feat since the merger. 

The Bengals won their first road playoff game in franchise history and advance to their first AFC Championship Game since 1988. Burrow finished 28 of 37 for 348 yards with an interception in the 19-16 win. 
  • Like 1

I watched the game and it was a good game.  About the sacks, the Cincy o-line needs help, the Titans d-line looked very good.  But, at LSU, when a blitz was coming Joe knew it and he knew who was getting the quick pass, one second sometimes and it was gone to an open receiver.  I thought Joe was so smart, studied the film, knew what to expect and how to beat their play.  Today, he could see the rush was coming but it did not look like there was an outlet guy, no hot receiver.  An announcer commented on it, he said the Cincy pass routes were too long developing.  Joe must be frustrated, he probably wants to have a talk with the OC.

Anyone else watch that game?

Cincy will play the winner of the Bills/Chiefs game.  That will be a tough pull for Cincy, I think they'll be the underdog next week.

2 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Cincy will play the winner of the Bills/Chiefs game.  That will be a tough pull for Cincy, I think they'll be the underdog next week.

I did at Phils with Family and Friends. Cincy was the underdog in this one! 

363B789E-6529-4E94-92B1-C5CF34F77AEA.thumb.jpeg.bdb557b00e7d213aff7671340c431ed9.jpeg

93793425-FE1E-4674-AD2C-A2C88132F774.thumb.jpeg.ed43b93fc40af72d5be7535faadf2b9c.jpeg

B2FA52C6-5897-4DED-87C3-9CDED9DFFEF4.thumb.jpeg.e5c8768ecabb017769329a3a34bcdd3e.jpeg

• Like 1

While I was looking at Cincy stuff, I looked into the role of Tyler Shelvin and I found a good interview with a La. based sportscaster who covered LSU.  This was May 2021, soon after the draft, there had been one mini camp and a report that Shelvin was turning heads.  But as they say, all the draftees turn heads at the first mini camp.  The interview was on zoom, with 3 Cincy broadcasters, about Shelvin and Chase.

When it came to Shelvin, the La. guy said he is surprisingly quick for such a large human, and he moves his feet quickly.  The issue is and always has been his weight, can he control it.  They asked why he took a year off, and the reply was grades, it is hard for Tyler to make his grades.  He sat out his freshman year.  They asked what he did his year off, the guy said he went to Dallas to work out at a gym that gets guys ready for the draft.  He said Tyler is a great kid, he cooks for himself, and at the gym he got help from a nutritionist, what are healthy meals I can cook to stay strong and control my weight.  It seems to be working.  He showed up at Cincy at 350.  Cincy's conditioning guy weighed in and said he thinks Shelvin's best playing weight is 345.  They said not playing his junior year hurt Tyler in the draft.  After the natty year, scouts had Tyler as a second round pick.  Belichick wanted him, saw him play while scouting some other LSU players.  They said the main concern was whether he had the discipline to control his weight.

Tyler started and played the whole game against the Titans.  He was injured early in the season and missed a big part of it.  Watching the game, it's hard to see Tyler as a star.  He doesn't make plays, doesn't make it into the backfield.  I'm not sure how often he draws a double team.  I did see him plug a hole Derrick Henry wanted to hit, so Derrick went to the left and someone else made the tackle.  But Tyler caused the play to get redirected.  I hope he maintains his weight and has a good career.

Then on to JaMarr Chase.  They asked what makes Chase so good.  One thing is confidence.  The La. guy said Chase, without being cocky, believes he can get the job done.  He is a relentless worker, always looking for an edge to get better.  He mentioned catching 10,000 balls in the summer.  He runs 4.38 for the 40, pretty consistent.  They asked what his real difference was, and the guy said it is his build.  He's 6' and 200, he's a WR with a RB body.  His yards after contact are high.  They asked who in the NFL past Chase reminds you of, and he said Steve Smith of the Panthers (5' 9", 195).  Chase was doubled the entire game by the Titans, caught 4 passes.

14 hours ago, houtiger said:

I watched the game and it was a good game.  About the sacks, the Cincy o-line needs help, the Titans d-line looked very good.  But, at LSU, when a blitz was coming Joe knew it and he knew who was getting the quick pass, one second sometimes and it was gone to an open receiver.  I thought Joe was so smart, studied the film, knew what to expect and how to beat their play.  Today, he could see the rush was coming but it did not look like there was an outlet guy, no hot receiver.  An announcer commented on it, he said the Cincy pass routes were too long developing.  Joe must be frustrated, he probably wants to have a talk with the OC.

Its the head coach calling the plays according to my Bengal's friend.

This is the moment Joe became “Joe Burrow.” A legend was born. It was during the Fiesta Bowl (2018) in his junior year at LSU. He threw an interception and was chasing the guy who picked it, when the biggest blindside cheap shot I’ve ever seen on a QB happened. The guy standing over him literally spit on him! Most guys would’ve stayed down. However, Joe got up, limped to the sideline, gathered his thoughts, and hung 40 pts on the #7 ranked UCF for the win. He never lost another game at LSU after that. I’m so proud of this kid and what he has become. Cincy…u have a world of Louisiana Cajuns cheering for your team now! Geaux Bengals and Who Dey from da Bayou!!!

0A71ED83-4F84-4896-AE35-3FDFEB87CAF6.jpeg.19edb6cc053022189a3bbba4d853d70d.jpeg

• Like 3