Gameday Tigers

The Allure of Lure Making

Fishhead

23 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Good eater right there

I live on a lake. Catch and release everything. Darn nutria have come in and eaten much of the cover around the lake which was primarily elephant ears.  The fishing has suffered as a result.  We've had trappers come in and get them but like squirrels, there is an endless supply of nutria. We live near the Vermillion River so they find their way to our lake.

On 3/4/2022 at 10:34 AM, Hatchertiger said:

I live on a lake. Catch and release everything. Darn nutria have come in and eaten much of the cover around the lake which was primarily elephant ears.  The fishing has suffered as a result.  We've had trappers come in and get them but like squirrels, there is an endless supply of nutria. We live near the Vermillion River so they find their way to our lake.

They bait Nutria with a chemical inside a sweet potato. The fastest way to get rid of them. We had a dog, that would grab them behind the neck, and drown them. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I've posted in this topic, although a lot has happened.  

I recently started a YouTube channel which, for now, consists of 4 short clips of fish being caught.  Whenever this next video uploads, there will be a 36 minute video of me painting a large popper.  Bait turned out great, video....not so sure yet lol.  It was my first time meshing together several short clips, as I stopped the camera every time I changed paints or had to clean the airbrush.  We'll see how it turns out, and I'm sure they'll get better as I learn.  The lures sure have.

I started painting in early January, and the sad...funny part is, many caught fish on my lures before I did.  Oh, I've fished...pretty much weekly.  But until April 22nd, had not caught a single fish on my own lures.  

That all changed April 22nd, and in a BIG way!   Mrs. Fish and I traveled to Mississippi for my mom's 84th bday which we celebrated 4/23/22 at their house.  But Friday, I was able to go back to my old stomping grounds in Hopedale, LA with my brother, CNSpots (his name here).  
I was determined to catch redfish on MY lures.  I pretty much refused to throw anything else, even after CNSpots put a nice red in the boat on our old standby, the "black" silver minnow weedless spoon from Johnson.  Instead, I continued to throw my 1 minus crankbait in transparent tequila yellow and caribe blue.  
Eventually I caught a nice red, over sized at 28.5".  Lots of questions were answered with that fish.  He ate it good, inhaled it.  So yeah, it'll catch fish.  And although a small lure, it proved my hooks and split rings were solid, more than up to the task. Exactly one cast later, another.  We had to leave that spot due to the fact the wind was destroying us, and we headed a couple hundred yards away in an effort to hit a series of smaller marsh ponds, and on the very next cast, a wayward largemouth bass hit the ice chest.  3 casts, 3 fish!  

The lure continued putting redfish in the boat, and CNSpots added a few more of his own.  He also added a nice speckled trout.  All his fish on the old faithful black spoon, all mine on the Lainyap Lures 1 minus crankbait.  

I'll add some pics here shortly, and if you'd like to laugh at/comment on my videos, here's the link to one of the short videos.  I'd appreciate any subscribers and likes and so forth.  Make sure you notice the name of the lure I caught this red on last week........Geaux Tigers!  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, COTiger said:

I haven't fished much since I left SW La many years ago.  Those are beautiful lures.  Are they designed to catch a specific species of fish?  Are you going to sell them?  Looks like a money maker to me.

I've sold a few. Sold 20 Saturday which is triple my largest previous order. 

They work... from today...a Texas limit. I released several more. 

20220511_110119.jpg

I've made strides getting the redfish figured out in Seadrift since spring put some water on the flats.  Haven't caught a single speckled trout though, mainly due to the winds.  Seems every time I go out, it's 20 mph outta the south or southeast.  Hopefully it subsides some so I can get the kayak in the bigger bay close to where I'm fishing.  
But I don't hate catching reds 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...