Gameday Tigers

Moving On, Going Forward

Fishhead

9-0 about 4:30 to go till half. Just picked off Tua for first time all year.  Another win for LSU D.

2nd and 6 or 7ish. 

play action pass. we have 8 to block 4. LB lines up word of the RT, all but carrying a neon sign saying “i’m blitzing”.

snap, every person in stadium moves except RT.  LB blows by him. Joe fakes handoff, takes 2 more steps, turns starts to set, gets clocked. 4-5 seconds between snap and contact. And he still wasn’t set. Again, that’s too much time. Especially in that location on the field. 

Side note. There was a hole roughly the size of canada up the middle had we run it instead of play action.

something i noticed happening often. 

GumpTurds spent most of the night rushing 4at the snap. Sometimes only 3 would come, with the 4th guy coming on a delay. We went into max protect with a minimum of 6 guys in to block on most snaps. 

so we had the numbers. 

on a lot of snaps, all 6 engaged somebody immediately. Even if that guy was already tangled with someone else.  After a pause, the 4th defender  would come right through the gap vacated by our OL.  

by contrast. when Alabama has the ball we rushed 4. They had 5 in to block. 

Extra guy would rub or bump, but almost never engage. He then was there on balls of feet in his lane with his head on a swivel. Most snaps, he picked up any extra bodies that tried coming in.

now obviously that wasn’t the only issue. 

but in first half alone, i counted 5 times Alabama had on O-Line in space in his gap.  and they got a positive yardage play on 4 of the 5 (one incomplete pass).

and i counted 4 times that our O-Line did as I described above. Negative yardage on 3 (also one incomplete pass).

thats 9 snaps in only one half that either kept drives alive for Alabama, or killed them for LSU.

Two things i thought all night. 

7 step drops and sweeps are a no no against this team

Play action with zero semblance of a run game is a joke too. Would've liked to see a draw play in the run game. And more screens and slants in the passing game. Something... ANYTHING to keep them honest. 

Didn't happen till we were down 22 and missed a FG. A FG that, if made, still results in a 3 score deficit.

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

Two things i thought all night. 

7 step drops and sweeps are a no no against this team

Play action with zero semblance of a run game is a joke too. Would've liked to see a draw play in the run game. And more screens and slants in the passing game. Something... ANYTHING to keep them honest. 

Didn't happen till we were down 22 and missed a FG. A FG that, if made, still results in a 3 score deficit.

Didn't we do sweeps last year when we scored 10 pts?

3 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Didn't we do sweeps last year when we scored 10 pts?

Jet Sweeps last year.  not same thing as RB sweep. 

Jet Sweep has an extra player going an extra direction that has to be accounted for. 

For the Jet Sweep, you typically have a WR running sideline to sideline and a RB that’s going to run roughly up the middle. 

Defense has to account for both possibilities, as well as the possibility of a pass play. Guessing wrong can lead to gaining yardage in chunks. 

looking at it from the defense’s view thought process is similar to that of a triple option. three possible scenarios and you have to stay disciplined to all three. 

offensively it’s different because normally all the decisions have been made pre-snap for jet sweeps. whereas triple option decisions are made based off the movement of the DE post-snap. 

On 11/6/2018 at 12:36 PM, Nutriaitch said:

Jet Sweeps last year.  not same thing as RB sweep. 

Jet Sweep has an extra player going an extra direction that has to be accounted for. 

For the Jet Sweep, you typically have a WR running sideline to sideline and a RB that’s going to run roughly up the middle. 

Defense has to account for both possibilities, as well as the possibility of a pass play. Guessing wrong can lead to gaining yardage in chunks. 

looking at it from the defense’s view thought process is similar to that of a triple option. three possible scenarios and you have to stay disciplined to all three. 

offensively it’s different because normally all the decisions have been made pre-snap for jet sweeps. whereas triple option decisions are made based off the movement of the DE post-snap. 

This is what I meant in a different thread, Nootch. You are far more knowledgeable about the intricacies of the game. I just watch the result of a play whereas you know who is doing what - and why they are doing it. A whole different level of appreciation than mine!

12 minutes ago, paducahmichael said:

This is what I meant in a different thread, Nootch. You are far more knowledgeable about the intricacies of the game. I just watch the result of a play whereas you know who is doing what - and why they are doing it. A whole different level of appreciation than mine!

i played defense in high school (cornerback). 

so i tend to view things from that side of the ball. 

offense is about 2 things:

matchups. if you have the favorable matchups, you’re tough to stop. 

scheme. if you don’t have the horses to just impose your will, you have to scheme to create a mismatch somewhere.

there was this team we played every year that ran the same stuff over and over again.  we could tell you with 95% accuracy what they were going to do before each snap.  so we had 5 guys in on every tackle and they couldn’t move the ball on us.  they looked like we did against Alabama.  And we were not a loaded team by any stretch.

we were able to basically ignore all the window dressing, because they never did anything we didn’t expect.  

thats what LSU offense is.

still  

then one year, we played this smaller school than ran a sorta precursor to the modern spread. not really a spread as it was more conventional formations, but a lot of no huddle and calling plays at the line and a  lot of moving parts and pieces. and i don’t think they ever ran the same play twice. Think early 90s Buffalo Bills type offense.

we beat them, but they moved up and down the field on us all night.

they somehow always managed to get a WR matched against an LB. or their big ass TE against my short ass in the flat.  Or convince entire D to drop into pass coverage and run a draw for 7 yards.

i was more exhausted after that game than any of our typical physical mid-90s slug fests that we’d play. 

Just now, Nutriaitch said:

matchups. if you have the favorable matchups, you’re tough to stop. 

and this was what happened to us against Edna Karr one year. 

they beat the living goldenshower out of us. 

their line looked like giants compared to us. 

i played in nickel against their “small” slot guy. he was 5-6” taller than me and at least a step or two faster.  i typically gave up an inch or two to the guy i was covering, but not half a damn foot.  and i wasn’t always faster, but could usually at least keep up. not that night.

they could have given us their playbook and held up neon signs telling us exactly what they were doing before each snap. 

we still weren’t going to stop them. 

by mid 3rd qtr, they were just toying with us. like a cat playing with a lizard until it died. 

nah, we actually raced out to a 3-0 lead before they even got the ball. 

got the 2nd field goal like mid 2nd quarter ish, but game was realistically out of hand already. 

we lost 56-6. 

and honestly, game was nowhere near as close as that score.  i don’t think they attempted a pass in the 2nd half.

Archived