Gameday Tigers

LSU @ Arkansas 6:30 pm SECN/98.1 FM

Fishhead

3 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

has that 8 game clause for Miles ever been confirmed? i’ve heard it before but never as anything more than a rumor.

I think I read through his original contract and thought it was not an advantageous clause to LSU, only to Miles.  That would be in the 10 year ago range, and I have tried to read through a number of coaches contracts to see what they say.  My memory may not be perfect, but I think I actually read it.  I did a quick search and I don't see his original contract online anymore.  But, I have not been impressed with the terms that Alleva has offered our football coaches.  Sometimes he has given away the whole pie when he only needed to give away a bit of it.  I would have given O a 4 year contract, not 5.  Let him prove himself, heck I would have tried for a 3 year deal initially.  It was not like he had a lot of other offers.  Or, 4 years with a minimal buyout if he fell below 8 wins in a year.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 11:00 AM, houtiger said:

But, I have not been impressed with the terms that Alleva has offered our football coaches.  Sometimes he has given away the whole pie when he only needed to give away a bit of it.  I would have given O a 4 year contract, not 5.  Let him prove himself, heck I would have tried for a 3 year deal initially.  It was not like he had a lot of other offers.  Or, 4 years with a minimal buyout if he fell below 8 wins in a year.

It always baffles me when Coaches are given exorbitant contracts that they really had no business getting.  The first one I remember reading about and just shaking my head was when Tom Benson gave Ditka an extension after two 6-10 seasons.  What a joke.  Then he had to pay him out a season later when Ditka 'led' the Saints to a 3-13 record.  When Notre Dame gave Charlie Weis a 10 year contract while Weis still had 3 years left on his current deal, I wondered, when will they ever learn.

These terrible deals happen so often it is remarkable.

1 hour ago, Dru said:

It always baffles me when Coaches are given exorbitant contracts that they really had no business getting.  The first one I remember reading about and just shaking my head was when Tom Benson gave Ditka an extension after two 6-10 seasons.  What a joke.  Then he had to pay him out a season later when Ditka 'led' the Saints to a 3-13 record.  When Notre Dame gave Charlie Weis a 10 year contract while Weis still had 3 years left on his current deal, I wondered, when will they ever learn.

These terrible deals happen so often it is remarkable.

I think the one many people will watch is the A&M deal with Jimbo, 10 years, 7.5 mil per year, all guaranteed.  I remember rumors in 2015 that LSU had a deal with Jimbo at 7 mill a year for 7 years.  I don't remember the specifics, maybe Alleva wanted a 5 year deal and Jimbo pushed for 7.  Then 2 years later, Jimbo got the better deal from A&M.  I thought that was too much to offer Jimbo, since his performance had tailed off so bad at FSU.  Jimbo is 6-4 this year, with losses to GumpTurds and Clemson, and Miss. St. and Auburn.  The loss to Auburn has to hurt, they were up by 10 pts. with about 6 min. left in the game, and lost it.  But, you have to give Jimbo a couple of years to recruit and improve the talent, let's see if he can do it.

5 hours ago, houtiger said:

I think the one many people will watch is the A&M deal with Jimbo, 10 years, 7.5 mil per year, all guaranteed.  I remember rumors in 2015 that LSU had a deal with Jimbo at 7 mill a year for 7 years.  I don't remember the specifics, maybe Alleva wanted a 5 year deal and Jimbo pushed for 7.  Then 2 years later, Jimbo got the better deal from A&M.  I thought that was too much to offer Jimbo, since his performance had tailed off so bad at FSU.  Jimbo is 6-4 this year, with losses to GumpTurds and Clemson, and Miss. St. and Auburn.  The loss to Auburn has to hurt, they were up by 10 pts. with about 6 min. left in the game, and lost it.  But, you have to give Jimbo a couple of years to recruit and improve the talent, let's see if he can do it.

thats the going rate for a top tier coach right now. 

you can say what you want about Jimbo, but he’s one of only 4 active coaches that have  a national championship under their belt. 

his salary puts him right behind the only 2 active guys with more titles than him. 

going as long as A&M and all guaranteed is a huge risk though.