Gameday Tigers

Coach Kelly’s Message To All Players Coming In!

LSUDad

Brian Kelly reveals what message was to recruits, incoming transfers

Tyler Mansfieldabout 3 hours
lsu-coach-brian-kelly-reveals-what-message-was-to-tigers-recruits-and-incoming-transfers Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images

Following a successful run as Notre Dame‘s head coach, Brian Kelly is now at LSU with plans to get the Tigers’ program back on track. While he’s been able to put together a veteran staff and land some players from the NCAA Transfer Portal, Kelly and his team are now going through spring practices as they prepare for the upcoming 2022 season.

As Kelly, who compiled a 113-40 overall record in 12 seasons at Notre Dame, takes over a LSU team that is coming off a 6-7 campaign in 2021, there is plenty of work to be done to get the Tigers back to a championship level – and part of that is landing recruits and transfers to make-up a strong, talented roster that can help LSU compete in the SEC. 

Meeting with reporters earlier this week, Kelly was asked what his message was to recruits and incoming transfers – and he made it clear that there’s going to be plenty of competition going on throughout the Tigers’ spring practices ahead of the 2022 season.

“Here’s what we told our group. … As we build this roster, our job, my job is to build competition at every position,” Kelly said. “If you don’t like competition, this isn’t the place for you. I came down here because I love competition. So, it starts with me and it’s going to run through every position. If competition is not what you like, then there’s another school for you. At every position, we’re going to build it with competition.

“If you love to compete, LSU’s the place for you. Now, we’re going to measure that with making sure that there’s smart decisions. … We’re not going to just bring guys in because we want you to compete with three No. 1’s at a position, but we feel like any decisions that we made at particular groups, we wanted to up the competition within those groups.”

LSU is scheduled to open the Brian Kelly era on Sunday, Sept. 4 against Florida State at Caesars Superdome in New Orleans.

• Like 2