Gameday Tigers

LSU Baseball, 2022 #1 Recruiting Class!

LSUDad

2022 LSU Baseball Signee : LHP Griffin Herring

2022 LSU Baseball Signee : LHP Griffin Herring

Typically, high school baseball recruiting goes uncovered usually because most of the elite players never hit campus after being drafted early in the MLB Draft. I am going to look to break the mold and start shining some light on these recruits. My first baseball recruiting article is going to be on 2022 LSU signee Griffin Herring.

Griffin is a 6’2”-200-pound- LHP out of Southlake Carrol High School in South Lake, TX. Perfect Game has him rated as a 9.5 out of 10. For those that follow football and basketball recruiting it is equal to a 5 star. He will be playing in the semi finals of Texas State Championship this weekend.

He took some time while making final preparations to leave for state to talk LSU Baseball and recruiting with me. He is one of the top prospects in the country and the stats back that up. On his ERA “I have a .175 era for this season including tournaments, overall pitched 80 innings” 

You are not reading that wrong, it is a .175 ERA.

Griffin committed back in 2018 to the LSU Tigers under Paul Mainieri. How did he take Coach Jay Johnson coming in as the new head coach? “Me and coach Johnson had a long conversation when he first came in where he voiced to me that he was very high on my ability and wanted me to be a part of the class.  This was very reassuring for me and once I went on my visit he did an amazing job showcasing why LSU was the best place for us in the future.”
On what stands out to him about LSU and what it offers “Obviously the biggest draw for me and a lot of guys is the fans. LSU has the best fans in college baseball and the atmosphere at some of the games I’ve been to has been unreal. Also the facilities are some of the best in the country and the introduction of the new coaching staff with Coach Johnson, Kelley, and Fitzgerald was just icing on the cake.  They are all very good at what they do and made me confident we are going to win a national championship.” image-41.png?w=1024

We discussed the MLB Draft and if that was something that might keep him from making it to campus “I can’t say where I am going to be drafted or if I even will be at this point but I am fully invested in the program and looking forward to getting onto campus this July.” He followed that up with “Coach Johnson has given a great pitch on the benefits of choosing college and I believe LSU is a great place to develop and play in front of great fans.”

On recruits he has gotten close to “I’ve met a lot of the guys when we went on our official visit all together. I’ve talked the most with Mike Kennedy, Mikey Romero and Kaleb Applebey. I’m really looking forward to rooming with some of the guys and getting to know current players.”

When asked what he feels he brings to the table on a team that struggled with pitching “I feel like what I bring to the table is an experienced pitcher who’s thrown in a lot of big games. I throw strikes and can go deep into games over a long period time and can get strikeouts with a hard slider and running fastball. Also most of all any pitchers biggest asset is availability and I feel like I have a workhorse mentality throughout the season.”

On getting to play with guys like Dylan Crews and Tre Morgan ” I think it’s going to be a lot of fun watching guys like Dylan play. There’s a lot of electric players on the roster and I’m ready for the chance to compete against them in the fall.”

His message to Tiger Nation “I would say they are getting a left pitcher starter who is ready to contribute to the team in any way possible. Who is going to work hard and be fully bought in to the program and his teammates.”

Portal In! 

Creighton ace Dylan Tebrake announces graduate transfer to LSU

Jay Johnson admitted bluntly Monday immediately following LSU's regional loss at Southern Miss that the program had been "infinitely" out-performed on the mound and had work to do.

And the Tigers appeared to add another veteran piece to that equation Saturday.

Creighton righty Dylan Tebrake announced his plans to transfer to the SEC program after four seasons pitching for the Blue Jays.

The Cold Spring, Minn., native compiled an 8-2 record with 115 strikeouts, 73 hits, 33 walks and a 2.81 ERA in 93 innings pitched in 17 appearances this season.

He would have one year of eligibility remaining because of the blanket COVID-19 waiver granted all student-athletes prior to the 2020-21 school year.

LSU redshirt sophomore infielder Collier Cranford has decided to enter the transfer portal. 

Cranford started nine games at the end of the season at third base in Jacob Berry's absence because of an injury. He batted .133 with an on-base percentage of .328 in his 31 total appearances this season. 

The Zachary High School product started at shortstop as a true freshman during the shortened 2020 season, hitting .286 during 28 at-bats in 15 games.

Cranford will leave LSU as a career .158 hitter with a .294 on-base percentage. He never hit a home run, but he did score 27 runs and drove in 16 during his 120 at-bats over three seasons with the Tigers. 

Former Bear Jack Pineda Announces Transfer to LSU

Pineda slashed an impressive .300/.391/.502, while hitting seven home runs and driving in 35 runs. He would also have the second-best OPS on the team at a solid .893.

There was always a realistic opportunity that Thompson would be entering a rebuild in year one, as overcoming eight names in the transfer portal is a lot to ask for a new coach. Having just gone 26-28, it may be unrealistic to expect Thompson to turn Baylor into a College World Series contender overnight. 

On the other side, Pineda is joining one of college baseball's blue blood programs. LSU made the NCAA Tournament once again in 2022, losing to Southern Miss in the Hattiesburg Regional final. The Tigers are not hurting for talent but adding an experienced bat-like Pineda makes them that much more deadly. 

• 4 weeks later...

LSU Baseball Signee Paxton Kling Pulls Name Out of 2022 MLB Draft

The top ranked player in Pennsylvania will honor LSU commitment, head to Baton Rouge. 

The LSU baseball program picked up a huge recruiting win Wednesday afternoon after 2022 signee Paxton Kling announced he will honor his LSU commitment and head to Baton Rouge this fall. Kling, a Top 100 prospect in this year’s MLB Draft, gives Jay Johnson a massive weapon for the 2023 season. 

He is ranked Pennsylvania’s top player by Perfect Game and is the nation’s No. 7 prospect in the 2022 class according to Prep Baseball Report. Kling was named the 2022 Pennsylvania Gatorade Player of the Year after dominating his senior year.

Per MaxPreps, Kling hit .566 in his final season for Central High School, tallying 43 hits and 33 RBI. His consistency at the plate is a piece of his game the Tigers will surely rely on in the foreseeable future. 

“I have decided to take my name out of the 2022 MLB Draft and further my career at Louisiana State University,” Kling said in his announcement via Twitter. “I want to play for the great program that LSU has built over many years, which also has the best fans in the country.”

The gifted outfielder now has the opportunity to learn from newly named LSU assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Josh Jordan. Jordan is known for his ability to develop outfielders and catchers, which will surely benefit Kling in the long haul.

The Tigers will continue their efforts in swaying their MLB Draft eligible 2022 signees to Baton Rouge as they continue assembling their roster for the 2023 season. Another draft eligible player LSU will be pushing to come to campus will be Creighton transfer Dylan Tebrake, who many believe could be selected in the early rounds of this years Draft.